supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

I found a prehistoric sax, Aldophe is a charlatan!

Ian

Hi Folks,
this is my first post on the forum, hello to all you other sad saxophreaks, especially Big Al, who is a real sax nutter, but will, one day, play like Coltrane or better, I'm sure. Stick in at the practice, Al. Can you play 'Delaware' yet?

Young Col

Ian, welcome from extreme South London.

Don't go into contortions finding a forum name like my esteemed friend Mr Ian Half Diminisheshed did. Ian will do.

Would Adolphe be mortified to find he was a plagiarist, or did he twig there was no copyright on the pre-historic design and got in quick?
Enjoy it here!
Colin

OP
I

Ian

Hi Colin, like the wheel, the sax has always been a round. It was the second kind of axe the cavemen invented, but the lack of a decent alloy, in fact any decent metal at all, meant that they had to use wood and stone a lot. Crap tone. But listen, I never joined this forum to talk rubbish, or did I? I'm a serious person, a serious sax player who plays a serious sax (the Selmer SBA which as you know, stands for Serious Bloody Axe). Ian

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Hi Colin, like the wheel, the sax has always been a round. It was the second kind of axe the cavemen invented, but the lack of a decent alloy, in fact any decent metal at all, meant that they had to use wood and stone a lot. Crap tone. . Ian
Surely a carefully formed mastadon tusk could be made into a passable tenor- bit like a grafton! :)))

OP
I

Ian

What utter nonsense! Mastadon tusk! If this is all you guys can come up with, you might as well not bother. It's obvious to me that the Grafton evolved from the bakelite ear trumpet, like the one my grandfather used in the Boer war. I think this thread is going no-where and there are far more serious issues concerning the sax that we should be discussing ...like for instance the use of one's own ear-wax as cork grease.

Young Col

That's what this forum is all about - creativity!

Ian, someone I know told me that his son had recently bought a 1930's Selmer SBA. Your father's name isn't Richard is it?

Pee Dee

Hi Colin, like the wheel, the sax has always been a round. It was the second kind of axe the cavemen invented, but the lack of a decent alloy, in fact any decent metal at all, meant that they had to use wood and stone a lot. Crap tone. But listen, I never joined this forum to talk rubbish, or did I? I'm a serious person, a serious sax player who plays a serious sax (the Selmer SBA which as you know, stands for Serious Bloody Axe). Ian
Hello Ian enjoy your stay here
I quote you as this brings up a query. You may, or may not have a seen a recent thread discussing the difference, if any between a bronze Bauhaus Walstein and a brass one. I think the conclusion was there was no difference at all. It has been said on a previous thread that as the material of the instrument does not vibrate when playing, it does not have any effect on tone etc.
So, would this extend to any material. ie wood and stone? Apparently not, as you say 'crap tone'.
I wanna wood sax!!!!!!!

Big Al

Sba?

SBA eh?
I had a BSA once. A DBD34 it was. Gold but not brass.....It made a nicer sound than my Yani seems to make..........

Big Al

Goldies

Ah yes - the sub-toneing twitter of a Goldie's megga on overrun.... Now I hate to be a spoilsport chaps but my one had a straight -through bendy pipe and a SCT2 gearbox - not a RRT2. The truth to tell, I didn't have to slip a clutch at all! Fot it was a Scrambles Gold Star that I began my "career" on. It did have a lovely one and three-eights" Amal GP carb. though. I traded it in for a Greeves Challanger and got £65.00 pounds for it. Tosser!
Should we be talking of saxophones? Sorry.
Do you think a SBA is perhaps just BSA - transposed?

Top Bottom