support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

I fixed a problem thanks to things I've learned here at the Cafe!

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Café Supporter
Locality
Oneonta, NY
I've had an annoying little issue for a while on my Super 20 alto. My low Bb was almost impossible to get out and my B and C# also suffered sometimes. I had been putting it down to me. Then today, I noticed that my D2 and Eb2 didn't come out if I was holding down the G# key. I thought about this Had to be a leak. And the G# is activated when any of the LH pinky keys are pressed. So I checked. Even with my RH fingers down, the G# key was lifting just a little bit, enough to mess up whatever note I was playing. I adjusted the screw on the arm that holds it down about a half turn. Problem gone! Every note responds beautifully.

Thank you to all the excellent techs for sharing your knowledge and expertise. I can't get to my tech during the quarantine and I certainly could not have diagnosed and fixed this problem without the valuable lessons you've taught me.

Good job. An easy test to see if the G# closing is in adjustment is to play a D and then press the G# key. If the note changes when you do this, the G# isn't held closed properly. Ideally one should pick up an inexpensive leak light to use when making this adjustment. If it is over tightened the F# (key above the F) doesn't close completely which makes the player squeeze harder on the F and E keys to get those notes to speak. This in time can create bent keys which make the pads leak more setting up a cycle. I see this a lot in my repair work.

Good job. An easy test to see if the G# closing is in adjustment is to play a D and then press the G# key. If the note changes when you do this, the G# isn't held closed properly. Ideally one should pick up an inexpensive leak light to use when making this adjustment. If it is over tightened the F# (key above the F) doesn't close completely which makes the player squeeze harder on the F and E keys to get those notes to speak. This in time can create bent keys which make the pads leak more setting up a cycle. I see this a lot in my repair work.
Thank you, John. I have a leak light that I got from Music Medic. I will check for additional leaks.

It's very common for the g# to need adjusting. A drop of clear nail polish will help to stop it turning on its own.

The other thing to watch is the bis and the little C pad.

Lh stack and Rh stack.

It never ceases to amaze me how trouble with the bell notes is caused further up. Same with duff reeds. ;)

How to execute a perfect pincer movement whilst keeping up an all-out frontal assault?

I had a gig once and my feature was a Spyro Gyra tune. Just into it I saw a pad fall out and roll under a pile of music on the floor. It was the top E so nothing played and the only course was to rummage in the music until I found it, stick it in but don’t use it again. That’s why I mentioned lipping an F down, it happened on a gig.