support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

I feel old

Throstur

Hey everyone, my name is Throstur and I'll be 20 in August. I'm from Iceland and started exploring the world of music* about three or four years ago, when I started taking private lessons on the Piano. I only took about two winters of lessons once a week so I'm not that great, but I can do some basic grooving in C minor on the pentatonic scale which sounds pretty jazzy and I can also almost play Rondo Alla Turca by Mozart but I run into some difficulties with hitting the right notes in time, maybe I'm just out of practise.

* I was in the choir in 5th grade and in high school and I do have some singing capability but I like to disregard those entirely.

I also have an electric guitar (Squier Strat) but I find that learning the guitar by myself is really, really, really boring. I was able to mimic the lead of "Sultans of Swing" but the second solo wasn't really up to speed and none of the tabs that I really wanted to learn were available on the internet so I haven't really been giving my axe much love recently. (Jefferson Airplane's "Have You Seen the Saucers", for example, the part Jorma plays)

I was forced onto the recorder like pretty much everyone else who went to middle school but fortunately we all got to have a go at the Xylophone too so I'd say I'm pretty competent on those instruments... at least compared to the average joe! The recorder is pretty much the reason why I wanted to learn how to play the sax...

Which brings me to my horn, it's an EM Winston 455LX Alto and I've only played it once. If you youtube "Hilarious first attempt on Sax" you'll find me blowing wind into it in my mother's purple T-shirt (which I have officially commandeered as my own).

I have high hopes of playing the sax and my dream is to play on bridges and tall hills in the middle of the night, Bleedin' Gums Murphy style... It'll probably never happen, but no matter, dreams will always be dreams! :welldone

So that's me, typical 90's kid on the road towards software engineering with a smooth love for jazz...

Welcome to the Cafe.
Trust me... at nearly 20 you are the baby here! Many of us took up sax in our 40's 50's and even older.
You'll find lots of good advice around, from a bunch of really helpful guys and gals.
Enjoy your horn!

:crying::crying::crying:I wish i was 20 and taking up the sax, ohhh if only

Welcome to the cafe matey :cheers: you will get plenty of advice on here and it's free :welldone that is until we have a trip to Iceland then you have to pay up >:)>:)

Enjoy

Kevin

Hi There!

A big welcome to Cafe Saxophone from the Skabertawe Horn Section. Do pop in for a coffee if you are ever in Wales - we never had a problem with the Cod War, and all love Sigur Ros. I am a particular fan of North European Jazz - especially Jan Garbarek, Nils Peter Molvaer, Tomasz Stanko and others.

I'm just off to have a laugh at the video that you mentioned.
Kind regards
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the cafe matey :cheers: you will get plenty of advice on here and it's free :welldone that is until we have a trip to Iceland then you have to pay up >:)>:)
Kevin

Haha, I suppose I could probably cough up some empty space in my living room where everyone can take a turn soloing to whatever tune someone decides to play on the piano? I doubt you guys will ever come but if you do I'll try and be hospitable!

Big welcome from me. Iceland... I remember flying over there a few years ago on the way to the US. Looked really cold from 38000 feet, but not as bad as Greenland. Have fun here, it's what we're all here for - and to talk about saxes, of course!

Under Age Sax ...

Hey everyone, my name is Throstur and I'll be 20 in August.
---------------- 8< ---------------- Polite Snip ---------------- 8< ----------------

Hey Hey Throstur ...

I am so sorry to have to inform you that "you are just too young to join the Cafe" ... :)))

Please re-apply when you are Half a Century older mate ... ;}

Best Wishes - And a Big welcome from me mate ... :w00t:

Hi Throstur

Welcome to the cafe,a little word of advise what ever you do don't tell any of your mates that you come on here,they will probably rib you rotten for mixing with a load of old codgers,and as for baker street, 3.5 yrs and I still can't play it that well,have fun.... john

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the caff©, Throstur.

With your keyboard skills how about a Vibraharp. If you can swing on Bags Groove or Two Degrees East, Three Degrees West like that Mr. Jackson, we'll all bow down and worship you. BTW:-As there are a number of amateur astronomer members, next time one of your volcanos farts, would you mind sticking your thumb down it as it ruins our other hobby. Shouldn't be too hard, worked for the Dutch lad with his thumb in the dam.:)

ENJOY!

Hi Throstur

Welcome to the cafe,a little word of advise what ever you do don't tell any of your mates that you come on here,they will probably rib you rotten for mixing with a load of old codgers,and as for baker street, 3.5 yrs and I still can't play it that well,have fun.... john

When I started playing sax, this was "THE" tune that I wanted to master. I wouldn't say I've mastered it, but I am certainly getting pretty good at it :) This morning my sax teacher told me that my rendition of this showed what potential I have. She also told me I was her most improved student this year 0:-D

When I started playing sax, this was "THE" tune that I wanted to master. I wouldn't say I've mastered it, but I am certainly getting pretty good at it :) This morning my sax teacher told me that my rendition of this showed what potential I have. She also told me I was her most improved student this year 0:-D

OOH look, that was my 200th post...I am now a senior member :sax: :cheers: :welldone :)))

I must say, you guys are the most charming old codgers I've ever met! Seriously though the spirit here is amazing... I have been known to regularly play the internet spaceship game of "EVE-Online" and I can tell you that the people there are very crude so I'm not really used to all this hospitality, not to mention the positive humor, no wonder you guys are all so positive - you all reinforce the positivity!

I feel young and welcome already!

EDIT: And very nice, Mandy! I look forward to playing that tune in the correct tone & octave though!

Welcome to the cafe Throstur I hope you find this a useful place to be!

Congratulations Mandy, does that mean you've got to be all sensible now?

Welcome Throstur.
Now look, this age thing really isn't important....it's just that sometimes at 60+ and with 1000 posts recently - stop crowing Mandy -..........
But no, it doesn't make you any more sensible. And I like a friend's catch phrase - Growing Old Disgracefully.
YC

Back
Top Bottom