support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds i fancy a change of reed!

Jez Watson

Locality
UK
Been playing on Java 2.5 green box for years, got a bit disgruntled with them recently, tried Rico Royals recently, not too impressed so did a search on a reed that might be favourable coming from the Java, ended up ordering some Rigotti gold jazz tenor saxophone 2.5 Medium's, seems that the medium is a tad harder then the Java 2.5? will report when i have given em a blast.

Been playing on Java 2.5 green box for years, got a bit disgruntled with them recently, tried Rico Royals recently, not too impressed so did a search on a reed that might be favourable coming from the Java, ended up ordering some Rigotti gold jazz tenor saxophone 2.5 Medium's, seems that the medium is a tad harder then the Java 2.5? will report when i have given em a blast.

I, too, have been playing Java green box for years. #3 on my alto. It will be interesting to see your analysis on the differences between the Javas and Rigottis.

Rigotti Gold have been heavily recommended in the past. Also Marca Jazz.

Looking forward to your report back.

Last edited:
In terms of dark to brightness, I would classify Marca Jazz as very dark and very spread, Rigotti Jazz (Gold) as medium-dark and quite spread, Lupifaro Classic as medium-medium-dark, focused and very smooth (think their Jazz is similar but less focused) and Francois Louis reeds as medium, focused, and quite smooth. I think I may hear 'dark' so my medium maybe be someone else's medium-bright. I was only very recently recommended to try Francois Louis and am very, very impressed. Lupifaro Classic was my favourite reed until now, but I think the FLs have more brilliance over a similar core sound. They are also (so far) more robust, as the Lupifaros tend to flake on the edges of the tip with time. Both these reeds are made in the Rigotti factory so the raw materials are the same. Strengths between these brands are very different so it's worth testing before committing to a box. For me I (on a 7* tip opening) I use Rigotti 3 Med, which is approx. the same as Lupifaro #2 (#2.5 is more like Rigotti 3 Hard), and FL 2.5 (on the soft side and needs slight clipping) or 3 (on the resistant side). I'd say Rigotti Gold 3 med is about the same as mid point between Java# 2.5 and #3. Rigotti #3 soft most like Java #2.5.

As far as I can remember Java green are regular cut and java red are french cut. Royal are french cut. Rigotti gold seem to be regular cut. Some don't make a distinction but I feel a big difference. Gonzales RC regular cut are worth a try, as is the new (ish) Juno. Don't overlook the good old rico orange.

The blurb on the gonzales says it's a South American cane and a different strain to that grown in Europe and Asia. It tastes great.

It might not be the reeds that have gone off but your embouchure has grown/developed/changed. Or maybe the mouthpiece has worn.

Jez, I also played Jave green box for years. I found it a right pain trying to get used to how different brands played.

But, looking for something different, without straying too far away, I tried other variations by Vandoren. Mainly V16 and ZZ reeds.

i ended up on V16s , which feel a bit thicker and seemed to give more weight to the sound. May be worth a look for you.

By coincidence, i bought another box of green java recently, to see how they felt.

After soaking overnight, im going to try them today.

Thanks for all you reply's, one thing i have noticed is that regardless of which box of reeds i try, Java 2.5 and 3's, Rico 2.5 and Royals is that within each box there will be one great reed that plays great on all my mpc's, i did an experiment couple of days ago and took an average 2.5 Java i had and worked on it and blew it on all my mpc's, just a couple of minutes on each and it sounded and responded best on my HR Windcraft that i got Anton to open up to a 6*, these are actually the new vintage hr links with Windcraft logo on! Looking forward to trying the new reeds.

I find it suspicious that the most responsive mouthpiece is the one that's hand finished. Check the table on your mouthpieces on a flat surface.

There are very few. pieces out there with flat tables that are not botique. Vandoren are close but still not flat. All babbitt pieces are concave...bergs are psychotic, Selmer is reasonably flat but their curves are slow and sluggish.

So far as reeds..i love a java three once broke in. Im talking tenor. For alto i like a lavoz or java. I never loved marca. I didnt get along with rigotti...to me they were like a more consistent Rjs which i also didnt like. Id try a Zz. I found v16s brittle sounding...but then you guys on this side of the pond seem to gravitate towards brighter setups.

Last edited:
I find it suspicious that the most responsive mouthpiece is the one that's hand finished. Check the table on your mouthpieces on a flat surface.

i played 5 mpc's Colin, 3 of those are hand finished/refaced by very reputable guys, its more a case of HR Link type mpc's suiting me, i keep struggling with metal when i am more at home with HR!

Is that because of the size? I was having problems with a very slim alto piece. Looks like a soprano piece. I stack maybe four or five thick patches on it. It's something to do with jaw position I think. Balancing oral cavity volume with...Oh...I don't know...I'm just guessing.

Is that because of the size? I was having problems with a very slim alto piece. Looks like a soprano piece. I stack maybe four or five thick patches on it. It's something to do with jaw position I think. Balancing oral cavity volume with...Oh...I don't know...I'm just guessing.

I believe that is a good part of the equation Colin, also in my early years of playing tenor I played a lot on a HR Link and there is something about the way I put the air into it that I like and can shape my sound

Reeds came today, gave em a soak and blew each one for about two minutes, initial impression is that they are way more consistent than any Reed I have tried, I have on initial play got 4 reeds that are good but a tiny bit soft so may need clipping soon, 4 reeds that are great with a good resistance that should break in nicely and 2 reeds that are too resistant at the minute, the positive thing is that they all have a very similar tone and the variation is just the resistance, even that though with the sub grouping in Reed strength is not as varied as other brands I have tried, all the others brands I have played have been quite wild in there variation in resistance within a box of reeds.
They sound similar to Java’s but have a bit more presence/brilliance and seem to have a better response when going from soft to loud, will be interesting to see how they play over the next week as I usually find after initial playing that they go a bit stiffer the next day? One thing I noticed physically is that they have a longer cut.

Thanks for the report on the initial impressions, Jez. I will be watching this thread eagerly to see how this plays out.

Was also a long term Java green player (tenor) up until a few years ago. Finally got pi**ed off with the frankly terrible cuts of the reeds in the boxes, plus the inconsistencies. So after some research and experimentation I too moved over to Rigotti Gold. I've been on them ever since.
More reeds per box work, and I'm now use to the sound, feel of the cut.
Too me they have a more solid core than Java green, and some edge when pushed. I've never liked many other brands of reeds as mentioned above, and they generally taste great ;)

@Jez Watson That's all well and good, but...what do they taste like?

funny i never noticed the taste , so must be better than most reeds as i find Javas and Ricos have a raised fibres that need smoothing out after playing, the finish on the Rigottis seems smoother and there have been no raised fibres/roughness after playing

Update on the Rigotti, they are still good but having recently started a bit of big band playing I found that my HR Link 6* a bit dark so have been experimenting with my setup, I have now switched to my Link STM 7 but have found the Rigotti’s to be a little bright on this piece and Rico Royals a better balance on this piece, Playing with big band tomorrow so see how it goes

Back
Top Bottom