All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

I Fall In Love Too Easily

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Had a go at the 'Sammy Cahn' tune this afternoon. Here DeadAudiolink Removed is the tune..

Chris...

Mike

Hi Chris....What I heard was that you were resolving some short phrases pretty decently. Naturally, others were hit or miss,
but that's what we do in trying to educate our ear. Hey, we all hit or miss too.

My only critique is that when we choose standards, etc. We should listen to them in how they're played by pros
and then we should play them not once, not twice, not three times, but all week long.

I remember a story told to me that Clifford Jordan would take one tune per day and practice it for something like 15 hours.
When standards are applied to our access, we really should devote huge amounts of time to truly understand the nature of the tune. Instead we take them quickly, respond immediately, and discard them as quickly as we picked them up.

In today's climate who does that, especially if we are playing for hobbies sake? I'm merely giving the antithesis of practice and and of course 'practice'.

I hear such potential in you Chris. Ballads are tough because they require such emotive qualities that involve chords that scream out for resolve. I look at ballads like still ponds with an occasional ripple....

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Nice tone control.You see more comfy.Great take.For my ears i would try atad top end in the mix just to lift the sax a touch.It sounds very warm and nice but for me its like all bottom end and only goes atad middle but no top end.But if thats your choice great on you and keep up the great work.I see a big up in your takes these days.You must be working hard.

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Mike, there's no hiding places when playing ballads. Rather than learn a tune then throw the dots away this was another read one, so while the reading might be getting better, the internalizing of a tune doesn't happen.

Colin, that's why I bought it. It has a character of it's own..
Davey, It's a ballad, you know I like them. I am doing a little bit of practice>:). Nice you can hear it in my playing..

Thanks for the comments

Chris..

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
I hear a lot of improvement in this as you seem to be feeling the tune more and using a lot more of the horn's range in your solo. Tone is good. All good with obvious improvement. Keep going!

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
I hear a lot of improvement in this as you seem to be feeling the tune more and using a lot more of the horn's range in your solo. Tone is good. All good with obvious improvement. Keep going!
Wade thanks for that,:thumb: so long as I keep going in the right direction and enjoy the journey I'll be pleased...

Chris..

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom