All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones I don’t like my Yamaha YTS-275 Tenor Sax

Two Voices

The title says’s it all really! I don’t like my Yamaha YTS-275 Tenor Sax. I love my Yamaha YAS-275 Alto Sax though. I thought the problem was my embouchure or the mouthpiece and I really, really couldn’t understand why I was finding it so hard! Anyhow I tried a friends Yanagisawa T901 last night and wow, so easy to play! I even jammed with a Yamaha YTS62 and Keilwerth EX90 and loved those! There’s nothing wrong with the Yamaha YTS-275 as far as I can tell as a friend played it okay.

Anyhow I want to sell the Yamaha YTS-275 Tenor Sax. It is mint with only a few hours of play. When its gone I want to get one of the following:

Yanagisawa T901
Yamaha YTS62
Keilwerth EX90

The thing is I’ve never sold or part-exchanged a horn apart from an Alto at a local music shop. How do I go about it? Any suggestions apart from eBay please. Would a part-ex be enough not too lose too much money?

VirusKiller

Oddly enough, I'm not in love with my new BW tenor either... I admit that I bought it quickly with the goal of learning tenor on it, but it seems so unrefined and soulless compared with my YAS-62 alto. In particular, the horn seems deficient in appreciable harmonic content to the point that it lacks edge. I did post at the time that when I tried it in the shop I actually preferred the tone of the particular YTS-23 that I tried (but had some difficulties with). Altissimo is also much much harder than on my alto. I'll see how I go for a month or so and maybe swap it out for something else. Shame, as I had high hopes of it as a transitional instrument.

thehunt

Paul, put it on the for sale part of this forum,you just have to make a donation to Petes charity, you can't go wrong with that you have a captive audience. Not for me though as i love my Mauriat tenor.
All the best

Chris98

Hello Paul,

I could understand if you said that the sax isn't tonally to your liking, or that the ergonomics frustrate you, but to say that you don't like the YTS275, and then to say a YTS62 would be desirable as you've had fun playing on it would suggest neither of the two above are the issue. I'd hazard a guess it's a set up problem and you've not yet experienced the YTS275 at it's best.

A couple of questions for you:

When was your sax serviced? - My Yamaha tenor played infinitely better once Stephen Howard laid his hands on it and reseated the lower C pad, and mine was new and apparently set up prior to being sent out.

Did you use your mouthpiece and reed on the other horns?

Did your experienced friend play your mouthpiece and reed on your horn?

Best wishes,

Chris

Two Voices

I could understand if you said that the sax isn't tonally to your liking, or that the ergonomics frustrate you, but to say that you don't like the YTS275, and then to say a YTS62 would be desirable as you've had fun playing on it would suggest neither of the two above are the issue. I'd hazard a guess it's a set up problem and you've not yet experienced the YTS275 at it's best.
You could be possibly right!

When was your sax serviced? - My Yamaha tenor played infinitely better once Stephen Howard laid his hands on it and reseated the lower C pad, and mine was new and apparently set up prior to being sent out.
The Sax is only a few weeks old! Purchased on Thursday 21st October! It should have been set-up before leaving the shop. Maybe all it needs is a good tech to set it up! Maybe I should try that before rushing to sell it? But then again ;}

Did you use your mouthpiece and reed on the other horns
I did :D In fact I tried the B5 and the 4c mouthpieces with good success!

Did your experienced friend play your mouthpiece and reed on your horn?
He used'd his own mouthpiece. He's very experienced so maybe he could compensate for a poorly set-up sax!

Two Voices

Paul, put it on the for sale part of this forum,you just have to make a donation to Petes charity, you can't go wrong with that you have a captive audience. Not for me though as i love my Mauriat tenor.
All the best
Thanks! Might give that a try!

Two Voices

Oddly enough, I'm not in love with my new BW tenor either... I admit that I bought it quickly with the goal of learning tenor on it, but it seems so unrefined and soulless compared with my YAS-62 alto. In particular, the horn seems deficient in appreciable harmonic content to the point that it lacks edge. I did post at the time that when I tried it in the shop I actually preferred the tone of the particular YTS-23 that I tried (but had some difficulties with). Altissimo is also much much harder than on my alto. I'll see how I go for a month or so and maybe swap it out for something else. Shame, as I had high hopes of it as a transitional instrument.
I'm definitely a Alto / Soprano Player, but I know I can play the Tenor just as well after last night! Chris might be right about the Sax not being set-up properly! I can't get my teacher to try it out until the middle of January! I'm not known for my patience! All the horns I played on last night obviously were well set-up!

Chris98

The Sax is only a few weeks old! Purchased on Thursday 21st October! It should have been set-up before leaving the shop. Maybe all it needs is a good tech to set it up! Maybe I should try that before rushing to sell it? But then again ;}
I'd suggest having someone take a look at it, I got very despondent when I first got my tenor, it was about this time of year. I ran into issues and blamed the Yamaha 4C, it was obviously too small an opening for me. I rushed out and bought a new mouthpiece, it certainly helped, but still the problems persisted. Eventually after the festive period I took My sax over to Stephen and we had a long conversation about photography, cameras and white bathtubs whilst he bashed it into shape. As I said my sax was 'set up' prior to being sent to me, but it still needed the fine tuning and so on to make it into something that was and still is a joy to play.

It's good that you played your mouthpiece on the other saxes, it again suggest it's your sax and a set up issue.

One thing though, you're confidence in the instrument has gone, so if you choose to keep it you need to get it checked out and then play tested for you whilst you're there to show you that it's a great sax, in great shape, and everything else is up to you :w00t:

Best wishes,

Chris

Two Voices

Thanks Chris! You could be right! The only trouble is I live on an Island so I'll have to shipped it to someone in the UK and won't be there at the time. I'm sure my confidence would come racing back if it played well ;}

I wonder if a tech in the UK could arrange a pick-up of my Tenor via courier, bang it into shape and re-ship it back to me for £x. Any tech's on the forum who want to undertake that? PM me!

RonShaw

Maybe exchange it?

Where did you buy your horn? Most [FONT=&quot]reputable dealers should let you bring it back if you only have a few hours on it. After all, it usually takes some time to get the feel of a horn and have a good idea if it works for you. I had a Cannonball T5-L for about 3 months, and while I liked the horn for the most part, it just didn't quite work for me. I took it back to the music shop and they let me exchange it. I ended up with a Mauriat PMXT-66R, which I love (of course, there was a difference in cost). No matter how much you try a horn at the shop, only time will really tell if its a good fit for you.
[/FONT]

Two Voices

Where did you buy your horn? Most [FONT=&quot]reputable dealers should let you bring it back if you only have a few hours on it. After all, it usually takes some time to get the feel of a horn and have a good idea if it works for you. I had a Cannonball T5-L for about 3 months, and while I liked the horn for the most part, it just didn't quite work for me. I took it back to the music shop and they let me exchange it. I ended up with a Mauriat PMXT-66R, which I love (of course, there was a difference in cost). No matter how much you try a horn at the shop, only time will really tell if its a good fit for you.
[/FONT]
Hi Ron,

Thanks! I got it from my local music shop. I have emailed them about it and asked if I could swap it out from a more expensive model but waiting to hear back from them. Fingers crossed! I'm not sure if they'll take it back for what I paid for it though! Maybe a small deduction perhaps. It's mint apart from the fact I've used the mouthpiece with out a patch so a slight blemish.

jonf

I wouldn't get rid of it, if I were you, until a decent sax technician has had a look at it. The fact that it is new and comes from a local music shop makes it more likely to need a few tweaks, not less. If you sell it, you'll probably lose 40-50% of the purchase price. If you swap it for another from the shop, who's to know whether the new one will be properly set up?

Saxlicker

There’s nothing wrong with the Yamaha YTS-275 as far as I can tell as a friend played it okay.
Hi Paul
If I understand right,
You tried 3 other horns, you used your mouthpiece on them and they all worked to satisfaction for you but only one of those guys tried your 275?

Did you ask him out right what he thought about your horn?
You are right that an experienced player can make compensations (even sub consciously).
That said, if the horn is new i'm a bit shocked by it's sub standard performance compared to the others, there is clearly an issue in your recent experience.
Go back to that shop or any other, try it back to back with another 275 it's the only sure way to tell and if it happens again they need to sort it for you. It's your cheapest option and should prove you didn't make a poor choice to start with.
If you actually find they play the same (with issue) for you i'd be gob smacked.

RonShaw

Proper adjustment

Its a fair bet that any horn you get will need at least a bit of tweeking to set it right. This is quite normal. I have a bit of time off from playing over the holidays, so I finally was able to drop off my PMXT-66R for a tune up and regulation. Will pick it up in early Jan. :welldone
You folks in the UK are lucky. You have Mr. Howard to set up your horns!! I wish he would see fit to relocate to sunny central California!!

Chris98

For the last couple of weeks, if not longer, I've been struggling with my tenor, I thought it was down to this cough and cold that I've not been able to shake and that has just lingered but never really developed into anything. The sax was generally lacking in response and the clarity of tone not quite what I was expecting. Then the penny dropped, I'm also pressing harder on the keys that I used to! I dug out my light leak thing, (ebay purchase and not very good) shoved it down the sax and stuffed some (clean) socks down the bell and doused the lights.

It's beautiful to see the thin slivers of light creeping out around the pads, as fine as a hair... Beautiful that is until the reality of it sank in, I've got a few leaks that need sorting out :shocked:

So it looks like I'll be getting it sorted in the New Year, it's about due anyway and luckily the alto is obliging at the moment.

I do wander with the cold weather and living in a centrally heated house if the general humidity has dropped and that has caused the pads to very slightly shrink?

Anyway this is all by way of saying that at some point you will want to make the acquaintance of a sax tech because they do need to be looked at once in a while to keep them in tip top condition. Best of luck sorting your tenor out.

Best wishes,

Chris

Two Voices

An update :D

Firstly thanks for all the replies! Very much appreciated

Secondly I’d like to say that I may have been a bit harsh with the title of this thread! It should have said I don’t seem to be able to get on with my Yamaha 275.

I took it back to the shop where I bought it and a very talented player blew a lovely tune from it. Whereas I struggle to play anything from the second octave and it sounds so deep. So obviously it’s not a set-up problem. He went and fetched a Yanagisawa T901 Tenor which he played just as well. Once finished the Yanagisawa was passed to yours truly to blow. I was able to play it quite tuneful from top to bottom. So I part chopped the Yamaha in for the Yanagisawa. Now the credit card is hurting!

Now that I can play this Tenor the Mouthpiece doesn’t seem to be causing me any problems either!

Humbardi

Hi... this thread is from 2010.....!!! but I want to share my experience with someone selling his YTS-275....very cheap price...
I went to him to see thesax, and it was in very good way. Almost new... He said that he bought it in England beacuase he wanted to learn to play the sax. He does not have a teacher and he tried to learn by himself with a book. But he was so frustated because he could not make it to play second scale notes ....!!!!!!
Same as the poster said ; `` Whereas I struggle to play anything from the second octave and it sounds so deep´´
I checked the neck and found that the top pad ( the first one after the mouthpiece ) had the metal part bent and the pad did not close enough....!!! This pad is used when playing second scale....He was asking 300 dollars....!!!!!!
I bought it and at home I did fix the bent part and the pad started openinfg and closing well and....voilá...Now I have a VERY GOOD YTS-275 that plays and sounds very well whit my Otto Link Super Tone master 0.09 refaced by Mojo ....
Sometimes a little misalignment makes the instrument inplayable....

Two Voices

I had forgotten, I'd even owned a Yamaha YTS-275 Tenor. I do wonder if I'd experience those issues seven years on?

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom