All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones I am beyond excited....

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Prepare to be bored silly but I have just taken delivery of a Hanson ST 6 tenor and it's very pretty (cos that's what it's all about isn't it?). Lol. I've never had a desire to play tenor before but recent events ( won't bore you) have led me to the decision I need a tenor in my life. Anyway I didn't have a massive budget and knew if I went to Stuart at WE I would come away with something I couldn't afford! I didn't want the hassle of eBay, there wasn't anything on yard sale and I wanted something modern so I rang Alistair on Monday. He is everything and more that people say about him. A real gent. We discussed at some length what I wanted and he had one of the last German body ex demo ST6 which he has sent me to try. At a very good discount. From April the entire sax is going to be British made and I have the option of going to try the prototypes once in production. Anyway my excitement has to be contained as I have a big band gig tonight and don't want to be playing all day as I will have no lip later. I'm helping mother move house tomorrow so guess what I'll be doing all day Sunday? I'll post a review when I can but first impressions are very favourable.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
It's always exciting when you get new kit, especially a new sax. Hope it works out well for you.

Reactions: Sue

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
So pleased for you Sue, not bored silly at all. Can't wait to hear more. He's a lovely chap Alistair and I would have no hesitation in recommending him as a seller.:)

Jx

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Exciting indeed

Sounds like you made informed decisions leading to a very good choice

I once thought I wasn't suited to tenor. I had the sax but I couldn't make sweet music. A combination of embouchure development, mouthpiece choice and mechanical readjustment mean I sound like I'm playing the tenor which I find thrilling

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
Woo-hoo! Hope you'll be very happy together. I'm loving my Hanson tenor, as mentioned elsewhere in the forum.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Locality
Sunny Aberdeenshire
Really exciting - I've never had a new sax (always taken pot luck on ebay/preloved!).

Enjoy, and look forward to hearing how you get on.

Cheers,
Amanda

c9off

Locality
London SE/Kent & Rickinghall
I've an ST6 also - I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Thanks everyone. I had no idea so many of you had Hansons and good to hear you are all happy with them. I've had a brief encounter this afternoon and must say it's lighter than I expected and the keys are a comfortable reach. All bodes well so far. :)

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
The way it's going well be able to have our own Hanson owners club to compete with the BW club ;)

OG as the head honcho of course !

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Locality
Ilkley West Yorkshire
You know it makes sense. What flavour is it Sue, shiny silver or brassy blonde?
Rattle those walls gal!

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Thanks everyone. I had no idea so many of you had Hansons and good to hear you are all happy with them. I've had a brief encounter this afternoon and must say it's lighter than I expected and the keys are a comfortable reach. All bodes well so far. :)

That's interesting you say it's lighter, when I went over there to try tenors I tried a Yam 32 or 62 can't remember which now a Yanni and a Hanson (not sure which again) but the Hanson was by far the heaviest, felt really well made though.

Jx

Jonners

Locality
Isle of Man
They have such a great reputation - both the instruments and the company. Hope you enjoy the new sax. I played a silver Hanson alto today belonging to my teacher and I must say it was really splendid - a real quality instrument. Like many people I am very attracted to the idea of supporting UK businesses and I hadn't realised that they were going to change production. When they do then I will definitely buy one.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
ZZZzzzzz ZZZzzzzzz ZZZZzzzzz sorry, did someone say excited? Sue that's great, there's nothing like playing a new sax, whether that be a brand new sax or a "new you" sax!

I really hope that you and your new baby will be a match made in Heaven!

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Congrats Sue - I have a Hanson Clarinet and the attention to detail is superb .. Alastair and the staff are excellent and more to the point , care

Yep, Alastair told me a couple of months ago that the higher end saxes were to be made entirely in the UK like the clarinets always have been

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom