All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

I’ve found the answer… and its Golf!

SaxinNZ

Finally my wife has gone out and got herself a weekend hobby. We live just by a fabulous “new” golf course, and my better half has decided to take up the sport.
So what I hear you ask? Well, it means that while she is out playing golf, it leaves me to play till my hearts content, and without feeling guilty that I should be working on the house. In fact I’ve just been playing at full pop for the last four hours… had to sit down for a while as my lips are swollen and the blood pressure in my head must be close to busting out somewhere! (actually dizzy at present)!

Despite having a sax (sax’s plural) for over five years now, I have never really stayed with a practice routine (shame on me) and after moving abroad I didn’t even see them for a couple of years nearly, but recently, I seem to have crossed over some sort of barrier. It seems that I can now riff up and down the scales, and through applied intonation, better (smoother) fingering and a few blue notes thrown in and other such wondrous stuff, some of it sounds really good (to me). My fingers seem to take on a life of their own, to the point where I actually think is that really me playing!... growls, vibrato, bending through notes effortlessly….. where will it end? I guess I will really have to get to grips with trying to read those funny little squiggly lines on a sheet of music next!

Seriously though, when I get a good head of steam up, I get so excited I don’t even want to put my sax down again!.... is this normal? I actually “feel” that I have crossed some sort of barrier, and am actually enjoying the playing rather than struggling along… its almost a bit surreal.

Anyway, as I see it, golf has helped me immensely in my sax quest, and that’s not all… when er’ indoors starts spending on new golf clubs and other things that relate to hitting little white balls across perfectly manicured lawns, I can see a quid “pro quo” situation arising…. Ummmm, shall I upgrade my tenor, or maybe even get a Barri. We will have to see. :)

Andante cantabile

GAS does not seem to affect women golfers. They get the gear and then learn how to use it. So that avenue of access to new saxophone gear does not look particularly promising. But everything else you have said has the ring of truth about it.

Sunray

More Club's ...

Great stuff mate ...

Now all you have to do is for each birthday, anniversary or valentines day - get her an annual membership of a nice new golf club somewhere not to near to home ... ;}

Keep those fingers dancing ... :sax:

Have loads of fun ... :w00t:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
This is hilarious. Usually the jokes are about the excessive time guys spend on golf... Now it's your wife and you're glad, cos it means you can play. Great news. And she'll never notice the other bits of kit you get, as long as you're discreet about it... Just need to keep the bank account under control...

SaxinNZ

This is hilarious...... And she'll never notice the other bits of kit you get, as long as you're discreet about it... Just need to keep the bank account under control...
Sooooo I guess I may have over stretched it a bit when I ordered the couple of Inderbinen's then?
Bugger!:shocked:

Taz

Busking Oracle
Sooooo I guess I may have over stretched it a bit when I ordered the couple of Inderbinen's then?
Bugger!:shocked:
Not to worry, just convince her that they are a gift for a dear friend and to add a little realism to our ruse, just post them to me, I'll pm you my address. She'll never suspect a thing. you lucky chap!

SaxinNZ

Not to worry, just convince her that they are a gift for a dear friend and to add a little realism to our ruse, just post them to me, I'll pm you my address. She'll never suspect a thing. you lucky chap!
Sigh..... if only I would dare.... if only I had the dosh...:)))

Oh, and whats with the GOLF advert at the bottom of my thread starter.... I didnt do that, how's that work then?.... This there 'tinternet and web thingy's, all a mystery to me, clever buggers, smoke 'n' mirrors, black magic.... mumble mumble... (slinks off to play his sax in a darkened room)...:sax:

thehunt

You know that is so true, there is a woman in our band who plays sop and was struggling a bit with her intonation, i asked " have you tried a different mouthpiece?" She said "oh! you can change them, i thought i had to use the one that came with the horn"
I then asked about her reeds, yeah you guessed it, still using her rico 1 1/2's. She has a bloody good sound though, imagine what it would be like if she could be bothered to experiment a bit...

GAS does not seem to affect women golfers. They get the gear and then learn how to use it. So that avenue of access to new saxophone gear does not look particularly promising. But everything else you have said has the ring of truth about it.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom