support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Hurcules Sax Stand

Alex9

Café Supporter
Locality
London, Greater London
Hi

Can anyone help with a recent issue with my Hercules stand? It's the alto/tenor auto-grip, and this is one that stays home, so no folding needed.

The arm at the bottom annoyingly flips upwards (for foldability) but this caused me a major headache yesterday. I went to get my sax and the arm flipped up...and my sax fell back against where the arms should've been. Sax hitting metal. Not good.

20200717_124752_20200717125900324.jpg

Is there any way to stop these arms from going upwards when removing the sax? Should I just get the K&M stand?

I know there's been previous talk on the forum about stands, and various mods done to them. The 'Perfect Stand' is yet to be made IMO. Saxrax look good but a bit pricey for me.

The cheap solution is to pay attention and be careful when applying or removing the instrument. Does it flip up because the horn sticks to the foam?

[/QUOTE]
Does it flip up because the horn sticks to the foam?

Possibly that and the 'lifting' motion of the sax as I take it out. Not sure why really, but it's darn annoying!

Just noticed the pic is a fiddly 630 model - I use the 530 they is rock solid mon.
The K&M's went in the bin years ago.

Never had a problem. got a tall version of the OP's stand, a normal alto/tenor, and a baritone.

I had this problem with my Hercules stand. Very irritating!
My solution was to get a K&M stand.
Yup, basically.....I repair horns and I have a couple of these (I bought them because on the web they ahve a great reap as being a quality stand). I have around a dozen stands which are constantly in use here.

Quite honestly....the $15 no-name Chinese varieties....work better.

The cheap solution is to pay attention and be careful when applying or removing the instrument. Does it flip up because the horn sticks to the foam?
... sure it's true....but considering how one uses the stand, and what one might be thinking about during the period of taking horn out of mouth and setting it down....

IMHO after you are done playing......it isn't too much to ask of the piece of hardware that when you go put it back down again, it will not have 'changed position' the horn isn't gonna slip sideways and possibly fall off....

Intrinsic problem to the stand. Bad design. Not much more to it.

Their Baritone stand, in the other hand, is great....

Judicious application of an elastic band?
Rubber bands, duct tape.....the classic, timeless solutions to most things....

I had the same problem with that model stand, tightened up the bottom rest (as previously suggested), which defeated the object of being a foldable portable stand as the bottom rest was then rock solid!!

As others have said, gave up and got a K&M stand, my take out stand is the Hercules stand that fits in the bell when folded, but I'm ooooooooooooh so careful when using it

Yeah, this has happened to me a couple of times. In fact the whole concept of the stand makes me very careful about checking that the alto is seated before turning away. I don't leave the sax in it over night or when I'm done for the day. It has flipped up annoyingly once or twice, but not in a dangerous way, fortunately.

Based on a combo of everyone's advice I'm going to try the 530 Hercules stand (no 'auto-grip' gizmo) and tighten the arm rest screw. Loctite, elastic bands & gaffer tape if required!

tightened up the bottom rest (as previously suggested), which defeated the object of being a foldable portable stand as the bottom rest was then rock solid!!
Should only be as tight as necessary to stop it flopping, there are two saucer washers in there to supply sufficient tension.

I don't understand the doubting Thomas's
I beg to differ - everything about the Hercules 530 makes it the best designed stand that I have ever used.
On the road use gigging - nothing has ever fallen off, become loose, no wobbly sax problems.
And it comes with a nice yellow shoulder bag well suited for transporting two bottles of vino veritas and a baguette.

I have three 530s and never a problem.

Back
Top Bottom