Tutorials

hull member needs help

rob1969

Hi iam rob 40 just starting out on the alto sax why i need help i am not very bright and find it hard to learn from books so what i am asking is can you buy or download any sort of videos to help me play saxophone like you can for guitar somthing like lick librury i have managed to learn star wars form youtube can anyone help me :(

thehunt

welcome Rob, you'll find a lot of us 40 something's just starting out on this forum. I started last year, i'm 48 now so you have a good head start. Go on Pete's main web page and you can get his instruction DVD, it also has some tracks in it. I would suggest though get a teacher. As only then can you get proper feedback as to how you are progressing and your learning curve will be much more enjoyable and faster. That is my point of view anyway. Welcome again i'm sure you'll enjoy the forum, lots of good advice and fun here. Rgds Phil

Sloth

I'm about ten weeks in on the tenor myself, and started going to a teacher a few weeks ago - do it as soon as you can!

In the meantime, learn the major scales as they will help you a lot.

Welcome to the site

OP
R

rob1969

I'm about ten weeks in on the tenor myself, and started going to a teacher a few weeks ago - do it as soon as you can!

In the meantime, learn the major scales as they will help you a lot.

Welcome to the site
Hi does it make it a lot easier for you and have you ever played one before

Sloth

Hi does it make it a lot easier for you and have you ever played one before
No I had never touched a saxophone before, and it was 6 weeks or so before I went to a teacher so I know where you're coming from!

Did you ask about scales helping me a lot, or going to a teacher? I think you meant the scales - well, I haven't played much music yet but I've heard that a lot of tunes using a particular key will be using the notes in that corresponding scale so would make playing a lot easier.

As it is, I'm now going up and down the scales and trying to do semiquavers (4 notes per beat) at 80bpm - badly! But I'm improving my speed and articulation all the time - it gets addictive, beats the Playstation hands down!

OP
R

rob1969

No I had never touched a saxophone before, and it was 6 weeks or so before I went to a teacher so I know where you're coming from!

Did you ask about scales helping me a lot, or going to a teacher? I think you meant the scales - well, I haven't played much music yet but I've heard that a lot of tunes using a particular key will be using the notes in that corresponding scale so would make playing a lot easier.

As it is, I'm now going up and down the scales and trying to do semiquavers (4 notes per beat) at 80bpm - badly! But I'm improving my speed and articulation all the time - it gets addictive, beats the Playstation hands down!
hi i will do scales then untill i can get teacher i think i have them in pdf file on pc

thehunt

Hi Rob, i too had never played the sax before but did have a few years of piano behind me. Doing scales, arpeggios and long notes, that is play a note say start on G in the middle register and play it for as long as you can, then try A and so on, this will help your embouchure and your tone. It really is so important. When you listen to better players and you ask yourself how do they get that great tone. LONG NOTES. Good luck, Phil

OP
R

rob1969

thanks

Yes i realized this yesterday when i was doing some stuff on sax i found some work sheets on the net called finger magic. face hurt later so i see what
You say about long notes. I can’t read music so i have to fill all the notes in all
My work i also use sight trainer that is helping me i have managed to get to 67 seconds . thank for your help

Yes i realized this yesterday when i was doing some stuff on sax i found some work sheets on the net called finger magic. face hurt later so i see what
You say about long notes. I can’t read music so i have to fill all the notes in all
My work i also use sight trainer that is helping me i have managed to get to 67 seconds . thank for your help
Hi Rob welcome from Halifax
The reason for the long note practice is get a firm and steady sound with no wavering, it is not a marathon, forget the time factor and think more about the quality of the the sound
rgds.
Clive

Rogerb

Welcome Rob, from one of the slowest old learners on the planet (for sax-playing & reading music, anyway!!).

I for one don't know what a "sight trainer" is... can you advise?
When I Googled it all I found was something which looked very dodgy, claiming to be able to improve your eyesight :eek:

LONG TONES! :)

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom