PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Huge Stencil Sax Listing

helen

Café Supporter
Locality
West Coast of Canada
I have been working on putting together a really comprehensive stencil listing for my website. When it is finished, close to 85% of the stencil names will be linked to horns in my gallery.

Before I go to all that linking work however, I was hoping I could get some input from members here to make sure that I didn't make any glaring errors or omissions.

By the time I was done with copy/paste/format etc the Excel tables into my website, I could easily have moved stuff into the wrong columns, or lost columns altogether. Now, I'm so blind by it all, I couldn't see an error if it jumped up and bit me in the ass.

The page can be found here on my website.
http://bassic-sax.info/version5/?page_id=9359&preview
If you have a stencil horn not included in this list, please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks Helen. Resources like this are really valuable to us.

Strasser Marigaux Lemaire produced horns for Pichard (French reed maker) I have a Vito branded bari that Sandro Massullo (Massullo Music) told me was made by Martin

Helen; great list! I cant find King Marigaux ("SML"? or who made these saxes for King Instrumentals Inc, Eastlake) and King Lemaire (Amati-Denak stencil). I played a "Rico" baryton that seems to be a Beaugnier stencil?

Very useful. A couple of things I think are missing. No mention of Weltklang, which made several different stencils as well as saxes under its own name. Also no listing for Yamaha or Yanagisawa. Yamaha made altos and tenors using the Vito name, and Yanagisawa did a number of stencils - I have a particularly good Yanagisawa alto branded as 'Astro'.

Very useful. A couple of things I think are missing. No mention of Weltklang, which made several different stencils as well as saxes under its own name. Also no listing for Yamaha or Yanagisawa. Yamaha made altos and tenors using the Vito name, and Yanagisawa did a number of stencils - I have a particularly good Yanagisawa alto branded as 'Astro'.
It's not easy with stencils. A stencil saxophone is a sax that is "Made by XXXX for XXXX company" or "built by for XXX specifications". Weltklang was B&S official export brand. And it was the same with Amaiti's "Lingatone". The brandholders and manufactors were the same. A second line saxophone is a sax that was built and sold by XXXX company that was owned and controlled by a parent company that also owned other brands. Old "Indiana" (Martin) saxes were built by IBIC in Elkhart. This company had thier own way to do business and were not sold by "Martin". I don't think Indiana, American Standard, Elkhart, Cleveland, Pan American are stencil horns.

I tend towards a broader view, a sax that doesn't have the maker's name on it should be listed.

Last edited:
Alfredo Santoni is missing, they made a few, including Evette, Couesnon and others. Pete has a page on them.

Weltklang should be listed under VEB as well as B&S.

Probably a note about Amati's origins and why they used the J Keilwerth name is good-are these really stencils?

Add Musik Steyr to Amati, but I think they had other makers stencilling for them as well.

Strasser Marigaux Lemaire produced horns for Pichard (French reed maker) I have a Vito branded bari that Sandro Massullo (Massullo Music) told me was made by Martin

Yup, you caught me. I don't have SML on the list of manufacturers. I thought about it, I researched them, but couldn't find any stencils attributed to them, so I passed... You know what they say about hindsight....

Your Vito, does it have the domed key cups we associate with King saxes? Happen to have a couple of pics you could fire off to me. I'm curious, since King made so few stencils. I'd appreciate it. I won't use them in my gallery, I'd just like to see them for myself.

Helen; great list! I cant find King Marigaux ("SML"? or who made these saxes for King Instrumentals Inc, Eastlake) and King Lemaire (Amati-Denak stencil). I played a "Rico" baryton that seems to be a Beaugnier stencil?

Mmm... Yup, I seem to have really dropped the ball on the whole SML thingy... Now that you mention it, I have heard of King Marigaux and King Lemaire.

Do you have some pics of your Rico baritone you can send me? I wouldn't mind seeing it. Again, I won't use the pics in my gallery without your permission. These are just for myself.

I don't mention Weltklang, but I could. (I do mention their predecessor Akustik.) No reason I couldn't--it is my list after all, and I do mention second line and student horns for other manufacturers. I do however, list a boatload of their stencils under the VEB listing. When all the linking is complete, people will be able to see not all Weltklang, but the old blue label stencils very clearly.

As far as Yani and Yamaha goes, again, you guys caught me. I'm not into Japanese horns, and must admit I don't think of them as "vintage". That being said, especially Yani, has a very long history that I am especially ignorant of. I figure other people are real experts in that area, so I really don't need to be. That being said, I realize I do need to add them to this list.

Thank you for keeping me honest!

Alfredo Santoni is missing, they made a few, including Evette, Couesnon and others. Pete has a page on them.

Weltklang should be listed under VEB as well as B&S.

Probably a note about Amati's origins and why they used the J Keilwerth name is good-are these really stencils?

Santoni, I remember coming across the name, and then dismissing it b/c I didn't see any stencils associated with it... Back to the table....

I can add a small blurby on Amati. I think I already have something in my JK section anyway. I can just copy and paste.

Add Musik Steyr to Amati, but I think they had other makers stencilling for them as well.

Thank you!

I have a Keilwerth Tone King stamped "La Sete".

Thank you!

[QUOTE="helen, post: 331422, member: 3244"....]Yup, I seem to have really dropped the ball on the whole SML thingy...[/QUOTE]
Firstly, @helen you are a surely a superstar saxophonic archivist; your work is appreciated and I tip my hat to you

Secondly, I am reminded of a twist on your phrase "dropped the ball" which I learned in Sheffield (Yorkshire, UK), which has a heightened sense of calamity:

"Dropped a bollock"*

*Testicle

Thanks Ivan!

OK everyone, I have carefully thought about all of your input, and looked at my charts, and decided it was quicker just to redesign them from scratch, and do what I was thinking about from the start... But for some reason ended up not doing...:doh:

I'm going to have each letter of the alphabet in each own chart, which will thus allow me to add to them without re-jigging in the future as people suggest stuff, or as I find new saxophone brand names to add.

I should have the existing page replaced with the new content by end of the weekend (fingers crossed). I'm currently also adding more stencil and manufacturer names as I go along. Thus in between social engagements and rehearsals, I hope to have at least the bones up by Sunday pm. Then all the linking and uploading of remaining files still needs to happen as well...

It is a process, but one I would like all of you to feel a part of. I really do appreciate all of your input!

Thanks Helen for all of your hard work compiling and preserving all of this information.

I have one or two stencil saxes

1) Lindell tenor

Apparently manufactured by a member of the Rampone family in the same town as Rampone and Cazzani.I used to have some information on this sax but of course can't find it now

2)
Invicta
Paul Cavour.
Paris
Tenor

I have no idea who manufactured this sax

Do you have some pics of your Rico baritone you can send me? I wouldn't mind seeing it. Again, I won't use the pics in my gallery without your permission. These are just for myself.
I'm sorry, I have no pics of the Rico baritone sax. I just had that for some months. A guy bought a tenor from me and I got his bari as part payment. The condition of the Rico bari was bad and it's a was basic model from Beaugnier. The owner of the music shop where I worked told me and showed med some typical Beaugnier things. It was back in late 70's before the digital and cell phones cameras!

I have a 1920's Lafleur and Sons soprano sax which I believe to be a Buffet & Crampon stencil, but I don't have proof of this.

Amati also made the"Corton"
B&S - Bundy
Yanagisawa - "Corton DeLuxe" and Martin (Galaxy?)
Cheers M.

Back
Top Bottom