Tutorials

Howdy

AdamBradley

Hello!

I'm Adam, I'm 20, from Surrey. Started playing the Oboe and Piano when I was about 10, and throughout my teens I did the usual thing with guitars/bass etc. A while ago I 'rediscovered' jazz (if that's possible at my age, I was kindof aware of it at one point and always liked it, but never actually got fully into it). Anywho, I've taken up alto to satiate my desire to play jazz.

I rented a Buffet something, and although I've taken to it pretty quickly as it's similar to the Oboe, I have a lot of basic questions where things differ to what I'm used to. This place seems like a bit of a godsend, expect plenty of beginner questions (and sadly the tech forum, my rental isn't perfect)!

Adam

AndyG

Welcome Adam from another newbie.
Im sure you will find the forum friendly and useful as I have.

Phil Edwards

Hi Adam, welcome to the cafe.

If you need tech help with your rental take it back to the shop and get it looked at, and don't be talked into purchasing it after the rental is over if you're not happy with it.

When I started out I rented an instrument I wasn't happy with, and, though I could hardly afford to, I handed it back and bought a different sax. Getting your rental money knocked off the purchase price is tempting, but don't get stuck with something you aren't sure is right for you. Use the rental period to learn enough so you can make a better informed choice at the end.

Phil

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi Adam, good advice from Phil as usual, get the rental sorted, it's still their property at the moment so it should be in perfect working order.
Welcome to the cafe!

OP
A

AdamBradley

Heh, well from my point of view I'm very grateful my parents encouraged me to play from about 10, being born into a musical family is the thing I'm most thankful for!

Thanks everyone for the kind replies, you make me feel very welcome. :)

Welcome to the caff Adam.
Surrey? You might be eligible for CaSLM membership, our Palm Court Orchestra could use a swinging oboe, or anything swinging providing we don't let the cat in. ;}
ENJOY!
Must ask - what's the CaSLM? Can't say I'v ever heard of it. I'm only in Surrey until August, when I'll go back to uni. I do want to play in ensembles again - I played in the NCO when I was 14 but never played in a group that organised since. There is a new Big Band that just started near me recently, I think having something structured to play Sax in as fast as possible would be much better for my learning rather than just playing solo in my bedroom for the first 8 months.

Hi Adam, welcome to the cafe.

If you need tech help with your rental take it back to the shop and get it looked at, and don't be talked into purchasing it after the rental is over if you're not happy with it.

When I started out I rented an instrument I wasn't happy with, and, though I could hardly afford to, I handed it back and bought a different sax. Getting your rental money knocked off the purchase price is tempting, but don't get stuck with something you aren't sure is right for you. Use the rental period to learn enough so you can make a better informed choice at the end.

Phil
Hi Adam, good advice from Phil as usual, get the rental sorted, it's still their property at the moment so it should be in perfect working order.
Welcome to the cafe!
I rented the Sax from Howarth's in London - I feel naturally comfortable with them as I've been going there for my oboe needs since I started that. Howarth don't actually let you buy the rental instrument, though they do give you 3 months' rent off anything else you purchase.

Sadly it is a bit of a trek to get up there at short notice so for now I'm making do, it seems the more I play it the kinks are working themselves out - I think a lot of my problems with it just came from it not having been played in however long - that or I'm just getting used to them... hehe

It's far too early to be picking out instruments to buy at the moment, though I do know I won't be buying a Buffet. When I get closer to the time of buying an instrument I'll no doubt be petitioning here for suggestiosn and opinions.

Thanks again for the welcome and the advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Adam ..Hope you enjoy the Caff and adding a new string to your bow .... or should that be sax to your blow.... good luck anyway
............John

TomMapfumo

"CaSLM" is the "Croydon & Sarf Lundun Massiv", a collection of ex 20 year old's who generally began to play the sax after they were of no particular use to the rest of society - Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid:w00t::w00t:

You have been warned!!!!!:shocked:

Welcome to the Cafe from BFTSM (Button Free Tenor Sax [tenor trombone] Man) and hope you have a great time - BTW when you say Jazz, what do YOU like?

Kind regards
Tom :cool:

OP
A

AdamBradley

Well, I like most small ensemble work, I could listen to Bill Evans' trio or the Brubeck quartet all day long (I do infact listen to them all day long :w00t:), I absolutely adore Big Band and Swing, although preferably the upbeat numbers rather than the slow ballads some of the vocalists do.

Young Col

Hi Adam. Welcome.
I see Tom has revealed to you some of the workings of the CaSLM, for which thanks. Normaly we are a pretty low key organisation of would-be sax players, with OG and myself as core members, with others honorarily, like official mol Pauline, C9Off, Ian HD, even Tom qualifies for having slipped me a few free reeds. That nice Mr Thomas is Hon Pres (on account of having lived in Croydon and hosting the forum) We normally meet in OGs Croydon penthouse pad and jam in his cellar bar - late. That is, after the residents have had breakfast. Our activities used to be funded by flogging down the market bits off OGs zimmer painted gold to look like sax necks. We gave that up as we are no longer quick enough to do a runner if Trading Standards show up and getaway driver Smiffy has deserted us. I can only tell you this as there was a meeting today as South West ambassador Griff had been recalled for instructions (and I wanted my alto serviced - very nice now thanks Griff!).

As to ensembles, I play in a sax band run by Sutton Council adult ed. college. There are three levels. Don't know where you are but if you're local you could try one, or see if your local council does anything similar.

Colin
ps Bill we are rumbled. The Sutton Gazette tells how a group of volunteers cleaned out the River Wandle and found bags of rubbish and an a muddy exercise bike in there. I thought I told you not to throw them there. :shocked:

old git

Tremendous Bore
ps Bill we are rumbled. The Sutton Gazette tells how a group of volunteers cleaned out the River Wandle and found bags of rubbish and an a muddy exercise bike in there. I thought I told you not to throw them there. :shocked:
I only threw it in because you said I needed the exercise. It's alright for you, you take the Koi for walks but the Governor doesn't allow pets, whether Penthouse or not.

Top Bottom