supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

How would folks feel about a subscription area?

AndyB

Folks, including Pete, of course. Pete is so generous with his time and knowledge, but I for one would be open to a subscription area on the site for lessons and material. This would allow Pete some monetary return for his efforts, if he is interested.

My interests are not so much mainstream jazz as r&b/blues but technique and musical knowledge are universal. And Pete's knowledge of the other-than-jazz aspects of saxophonry are unique.

I played flamenco guitar semi-professionally for 10 years and the best masterclass I ever had was when one professional guitarist taught us his daily technical practice routine. Then you could see how he got that good and try to follow the same path.

I bought Pete's package of exercises but when he posted the one warmup as a video, I found there was additional benefit to playing along and trying to copy his pitch, phrasing and articulation.

How do other folks feel about this idea? Any ideas on content and what you would be willing to pay for an annual subscription?

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Hello Andy, I think I appreciate your good intentions, but have you asked Pete about this?
I'm sure there are plenty of angles to be considered.

Yes he did. And I suggested starting atopic here to see what people thought. It's something I've been considering - years ago there was something similar on the old Breakfastroom - the Golden pages and I have been considering it here also.

half diminished

I'm in 2 minds about the 'Golden Subscription' as it will undoubtedly create a '2-tier' forum and membership though I'd like to better understand what 'extras' would be available to those who pay.

I would however be happy to become a 'donor' or 'pay to support the site' (as it happens I have already made several donations which I was happy to do) which is another alternative.

Mamos

I would be more than willing to pay to download tuition videos.

I think what half diminished is saying is right. If you have a paid area of the forum you may end up with a them and us type thing going on that can ruin a forum.

I would say keep the forum open and free and add downloadable or streaming paid for content.

Two sites I use a lot are cartoonsmart.com and lynda.com. These both work very well but quite differently.

mamos

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I think what half diminished is saying is right. If you have a paid area of the forum you may end up with a them and us type thing going on that can ruin a forum.
I sort of agree with this, which is why I don't entice contributions by offering a special member title. I think donations should always be anonymous, people give what they can and should not feel bad if they can't afford to give anything or very little (temporarily of course :) )

Also I don't have time at the moment to do enough videos to make it worthwhile.

SLoB

I agree with Ian in principle, but also feel that there is so much free stuff here that many others would have charged a lot for and it is rather generous (too generous?) of Pete. I for one would be happy to pay some level of subscription, provided I know what that will give me in return (access to certain material, a contribution to Pete's charity, etc, etc). That said it would be unfair on those who could not afford it and equally need the material. If there was a subscription there should also be an option for people to contact Pete and put a case for a concession (or free access) and leave it for Pete to decide.

Nonetheless, if you can afford to play a sax (not the cheapest of instruments!) a small subscription should be payable by most. By concessions I am thinking of those who may have become unemployed, etc and having taken up sax whilst in employment and made the initial investment then find themselves financially embarrassed.

One way may be to leave the material free if viewed online, but have to pay to download or print off (not sure how the technical side would work though).

These are just a few initial thoughts to throw into the discussion.

Stephen

Moz

You charge, it dies. Nuff said. People go on the internet for 'stuff' and if they can't get it for nothing they go somewhere else. Charge all you like, you'll just end up with a little clique that no one cares about. This is not me being tight, just realistic.

Martin

OP
A

AndyB

You charge, it dies. Nuff said. People go on the internet for 'stuff' and if they can't get it for nothing they go somewhere else. Charge all you like, you'll just end up with a little clique that no one cares about. This is not me being tight, just realistic.

Martin
There really is a friendly atmosphere here compared to about every other internet forum - and especially compared to other musical forums (including that other sax forum). I would hate for anything to ruin that. Maybe Pete will do an intermediate level DVD in the future. I did buy Pete's incredible PDF exercises to work on in the interim. I guess those have been repackaged now. Great stuff.

SLoB

People go on the internet for 'stuff' and if they can't get it for nothing they go somewhere else.
Martin
Although many fall into the category you mention that is not so for all. Some would be prepared to pay a small amount for a quick and easy download than a lot more for a book - if the material is unique or particularly good.

That said I am sure most of us would put up with more advertising if this brings more revenue in for Pete without having to charge.

Phil Edwards

Sounds like it's all getting a bit complicated, with different levels of membership, Pete getting emails asking for concessions etc.

Keep it as it is Pete, just remind people from time-to-time that there's a donate button they can use. Some will, some won't.

I would also sign up for a regular paypal contribution. Couple of quid a month from some of the regulars wouls add up.

Phil

Lodger

Sounds like it's all getting a bit complicated, with different levels of membership, Pete getting emails asking for concessions etc.

Keep it as it is Pete, just remind people from time-to-time that there's a donate button they can use. Some will, some won't.

I would also sign up for a regular paypal contribution. Couple of quid a month from some of the regulars wouls add up.

Phil
I appreciate and agree with the intentions behind all the contributors to the thread, but I think Phil's is the best summary of how to deal realistically with what could otherwise become very complicated.

half diminished

Pete

Here's a thought. You could ask for donations/sponsors and offer them a 'package' of 'stuff' that might otherwise be bought through the site individually. You might also offer new stuff to donors at a reduced rate including merchandise.

I see no problem with donors being identified as such or not as you see fit.

That way, those who can/want to support the site can, those who can't/don't want to don't have to. All content is available to all but at the appropriate rates. You could have different levels of sponsorship if you wanted.

You might offer an @cafesaxophone.com email address for donors for example.

Good idea? I'll get my coat. :blush:

Top Bottom