support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones How would a 20 year old YTS62 play?

Danielle Hood

I am looking at buying a 20 year old Yamaha YTS 62 and was wondering if there is a big difference between that and a new one? It has been serviced and re-corked, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet as the seller is quite far away from me. Does anyone have any advice?

There are some on the forum who swear by them. If it's as described, and suits you, it's an excellent sax.

20yrs old puts it in the Mk1 category so it`ll be lively, powerful and have very nice action , the pads, if original will likely be serviceable if a bit tired . it`s a "last horn" for many out there including long term gigging Pros .

That's what I keep hearing about this saxophone but I wanted a bit more advice as, although I've been playing for 15 years, I have kept the same sax for all that time.

What do you currently play?

Jx

That's what I keep hearing about this saxophone but I wanted a bit more advice as, although I've been playing for 15 years, I have kept the same sax for all that time.

I did that , one tenor, two Mouthpieces for nearly 30 years - Changed to a Yamaha about a year ago and added Alto around the same time . I still miss the thick low end of the mkVII but I certainly don`t miss the issues and peculiarities .

I play a Sonora, but on a Meyer 6 mouthpiece. Not the best sax but solid and has done me well. It's been my second instrument but now I play that more than my clarinet so I think it would be best to upgrade. Any advice on other tenors which I might look at?

You'll get lots of recommendations but it is what feels right to you that matters. If you want to let us know roughly whereabouts you are we could recommend some shops to go and try some. Don't rush in to the first one you come across though you wouldn't go far wrong with the 62 :)

Jx

If you're doing that, pretty much any professional level sax should be on your list. It's not age, but condition that counts. As long as the keywork is quiet/has no play, the pads/corks/felts are good, then what works for you is best. Apart from the usual names like Yamaha, Yanagisawa, Selmer, Julius Keilwerth, and the big Us names, there are excellent instruments from lesser known names like SML, Beaugnier, Rampone & Cazzani, Hanson, TJames.

If it's not too far, take a trip to Woodwind Exchange in Bradford, or Hanson's in W Yorkshire.

I have a YAS62 of the same "vintage" and have played a modern one owned by a student. To me the action on the new one felt heavier. Perhaps that's because it hasn't been played in enough.
I guess if the price is right then you really can't go wrong.

I play a Sonora, but on a Meyer 6 mouthpiece. Not the best sax but solid and has done me well. It's been my second instrument but now I play that more than my clarinet so I think it would be best to upgrade. Any advice on other tenors which I might look at?

It depends on the budget.
My advice is always "try it and see if you fall in love".
I almost did with a 62 once, I didn't with other 62s.

One thing is for sure , there`s loasda choice out there used and new from bargain Chinese stuff like the Jericho, through better quality Taiwanese stuff from TJ, Conn-selmer and the like to the top end Japanese, French, German and Italian horns ..

used bargains to be had all over the place from ancient American oddities & classics to 70s-90s Yamahas , Yanis and Keilwerths , east European "sleepers" which spring up suprises and used Taiwanese horns which are relative gifts at the prices they fetch .

Seriously go to a good Woodwind shop/dealer and try out as many tenor saxes within your budget as you can,it the best way to find your ideal horn.

The Corton / Lafleur / Amati is also , they play amazingly well top to bottom with little in the way of issues , seem to have indestructible pads and sound kinda like smaller scale Keilwerth , these can be picked up for next to nothing ......... Those Kohlerts (inc Pennsylvania specials) you like are also in this group ..

I think these horns have a lot more character than the department store Chinese no names (Stagg, Windsor etc) for even less money. I sold my perfect playing , not bad nick Corton for £175 here on the forum, value you can`t argue with - even the tattiest YTS23 (cheapest Yamaha) would be over twice that to be playable and still need a service .

IMO these horns like the USA oldies need to be tried to see if the keywork suits, I personally don`t get on with the left table with the tiny "poke finger down the middle B / massive Bb" touchpiece (in fact it drove me nuts) but it may not bother the OP ...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. That's a lot of info But great advice. Unfortunately i live in Dundee so the nearest shops are a few hours away. Sounds like a weekend gallivant around Scotland is in order:)

At least if you decide you can`t do with the hassle, if you get the 62 you`ll be getting a top level pro horn

Gigged a very lot and plenty with Yammi 62 series saxes - YTS and YAS in the late 80's early 90's - great horns - superb keywork - solid build - very reliable - eeezee to play - good intonation - I know of one lying dormant, sleeping soundly in its case on top of a wardrobe 15 K's as the crow flies from where I live - if I ever get my hands on a couple a dollars again I'll go get it. Just my two cents. - Gruss - spike

Back
Top Bottom