All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

How to transcribe fast runs?

Hi guys! Lately, I've been hearing John Coltrane on alto and I heard him play a lick that I really liked & a piano solo by Joe Sample. Trouble is that the runs are fast for me to transcribe. How can I successfully transcribe runs that are fast? I ask this because I tried doing it once by slowing the recording down but then it sounds quite distorted if I put the recording at a really slow tempo using the audio software.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Not all software slows audio down in the same way. You may find a program that does it better than the one you're using. Other than that, it's the usual - practise.

Little My

Practice makes better.
Locality
Wiltshire, UK.
I'm sure there are programs (apps? Showing my age...) that can slow audio down without altering the pitch. Other than that, when I'm practising faster runs I start by just picking out the first note of each group, then the second, and I work on the quavers, then the semis, then the semi-demis - would an approach like that help?

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
One I have used for several years is the Amazing Slow Downer it costs about £30 but it has lots of neat features. You can download a trial version to see if you like it before buying the license to unlock all of the features.

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
Locality
Netherlands
I use Best pracice.. a light open source program in which you can alter the speed (slower and faster) and you can alter the pitch

quite handy tool!

Jamesmac

Cakewalk/Sonar... But a bit expensive just for that purpose. Good if you also wish to create your own midi.:)

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom