support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner How to become "pro" player?

drien

Hi all,
I am interested in what are your stories about becoming a "pro" and making living with sax playing/teaching. I guess most of you started playing when young and naturally evolved into the professional players/teachers. Are there any people who decided to change a career later on in life and made it happen?
Cheers.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I followed my love of playing the saxophone into a career in music education, teaching band in public schools as well as private lessons. This provided job security and benefits while leaving time to play gigs on weekends. So in a way, I had the best of both worlds. Even today where I live the top players in the area all have "day jobs" to support their families. There are only a few places in the U.S. where there is enough work to make a living playing full time a possibility.

drien

Wow, and now Imagine I will have to make it in the UK. Will have to go to X-factor! :rofl:
Anybody from the UK to give us an insight from here?
And I got an impression that in the US everybody plays for living:)

ArtyLady

Locality
Essex
Hi, I got into jazz and consequently sax playing, gigging and teaching quite late on in life (I was past 40!) , although I've played flute and piano since childhood, so had a bit of advantage there. :)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
I do not mind struggling with money. A lot of people have a mortgage to repay and have to work five days a week for the same boss.
At least I tend to have different bandleaders to choose from, if I am not leading myself.
Starting a career from scratch in the UK hasn't been easy and still isn't, but it is much better than somewhere else. At least there are more and different working opportunity here.

I have (or rather had - she's just been made redundant) a wife to support me. I suggest you try something similar.
Are suitable wives commonly available here? I often wondered about this option.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Are suitable wives commonly available here? I often wondered about this option.

Dunno. Once I found one I've stuck with her - for 32 years now. Can't believe she's the only one though.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Dunno. Once I found one I've stuck with her - for 32 years now. Can't believe she's the only one though.

A new saxophone is usually cheaper than a divorce.
And cheaper than a wedding, for what concerns my personal lifestyle.

Note to self: marry a pianist

drien

Hi, I got into jazz and consequently sax playing, gigging and teaching quite late on in life (I was past 40!) , although I've played flute and piano since childhood, so had a bit of advantage there. :)
Nice one, I needed to know that it is doable:) Eventhough I knew that everything is possible before. I guess I keep working hard and in 5-10 years time I'll be ready;)

Merryfisher

Locality
Hampshire
Hi all,
I am interested in what are your stories about becoming a "pro" and making living with sax playing/teaching. I guess most of you started playing when young and naturally evolved into the professional players/teachers. Are there any people who decided to change a career later on in life and made it happen?
Cheers.

reckon it best to play for enjoyment and earn a living doing something more lucrative. the 'pro' players i have known over the years all seem to be skint and would let your tyres down to beat you to a fifty quid gig:headscratch:

Juju

Locality
London
My husband is a professional saxophonist and he is doing alright. Things have become a lot more difficult though. Fees are about the same as back in the 90ies (or worse), opportunities to play live gigs or work as a session musician are getting less and less. Jobs in higher music education are very much sought after.
I think if I had to make a living from playing music, too, we would be struggling. I'm quite lucky to be able to play with great musicians but I can choose which gigs I want to play. I think that's quite a luxury!

the 'pro' players i have known over the years all seem to be skint and would let your tyres down to beat you to a fifty quid gig
Hmm, I can't confirm this, and I know plenty of them...

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
the 'pro' players i have known over the years all seem to be skint and would let your tyres down to beat you to a fifty quid gig

I never let anybody's tyres down for a gig. Not even for a well paid one.
Being skint for the last 45 years actually is a good price to pay to have an interesting (in my terms) life.
Being a full time musician is a different frame of mind, compared with having a job to support it. In my recent years of sales assistant I froze my musical skills to revive them when I resigned.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
A new saxophone is usually cheaper than a divorce.
And cheaper than a wedding, for what concerns my personal lifestyle.
Not if the new sax causes a divorce, cos then you end up with sax, dovorce and follow up costs...

Note to self: marry a pianist

I did, she say's the sax is too loud. No wonder you were hiding at the end of the grand.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire

Oh

When you said she was made redundant I thought it was a euphemism for divorce

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
Become a banker, make your millions, retire and then do something useful to society like being a ProMuso.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
They are but you have to treat them right if you want them to stay:)

Jx
Well, I probably cook better than the average British wife and love cooking.
Here, it must be a plus.
Maybe not.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Well, I probably cook better than the average British wife and love cooking.
Here, it must be a plus.
Maybe not.

So you don't think we British Ladies can cook >:)

We are all just average wives:eek:

Since it is nearly Christmas I will forgive you your insults;)

Not sure about the other Lady forum members, you do know some have connections with CaSLM don't you!!

Jx

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
I volunteer to review forum members' cooking skills and post full reviews :)
Old Git cannot apply, though.

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
Durham
I love how this thread about becoming a pro player has evolved into a debate about cooking and wives. One of the reasons this forum just keeps giving - for me anyway as I love distractions.

Hey Jeanette I'm with you - I can cook very well but I agree with Al about some cooks, my mother and sister are both terrible and I'm brave enough to write that cos I know they will need read this!!

Anyway to OP I know nothing about being a pro player (some would say I know nothing about being an amateur either) but I know some folk who have to supplement their earnings from playing by teaching. I'd say it takes a lot of commitment, hard work and determination along with a willingness to take almost any job offered.

Good luck if that's the direction you wish to take :)

Top Bottom