support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

"How Musical are You?" test on BBC.co.uk website

Rogerb

Locality
Costa Blanca, Spain
It was quite interesting.....just Google "How Musical are You?" and look for the bbc site.

If you try it, be warned...the 'clips' in the first section are ultra-brief, less than a second, I'd say!!!
And don't be surprised that they ask the same question several times in the questionnaire..
You are scored for 5 things, as higher or lower than x% of the population,and then they draw some broad conclusions.
There is a questionnaire and practical tests (Group the music..by 'genre', Match The Beat, Tap to the Beat, and Melody Memory)

It takes about 25 mins.

I scored highest on Musical Perception (higher than 98%!!) which basically indicates how good my 'ear' is.
Next was Musical Curiosity (84%) which is how many different genres I like to 'explore':
Social Creativity (72%) is how well I remember tunes, and could play in groups(I don't think so!).

My Low scores were Enthusiasm (35%) and Emotional Connection (23%!) which both suggest that Music is NOT "My First Love", nor will it be "My Last" ;} .... whilst I enjoy music, it doesn't play(!) a huge part in my life, nor does it usually have much emotional effect. (A Cool Cat, eh!!)

I didn't have a clue on the 'genres' test and just answered randomly ....mainly cos I couldn't tell which was Pop, Rock, Jazz or Hip Hop from the minute clips!
The Rhythm and Melody tests were made (even)more difficult by hiccups in the reception on my PC.

I knew I have a good ear for pitch and remember tunes well, so no surprises there, except for the high Perception score, about which I am slightly sceptical.
And it's true, I don't carry an MP3 player around everywhere, play CDs in the car, or all that much at home, but do like live music of many kinds.

I'd be interested to hear how you 'proper musicians' out there, and those who 'cannot live without it', would be assessed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, very high scores in most areas, but very low on the social side - can't sing along etc. (which is true).

On the practical side I did a lot better than I expected. So maybe there's more thzere than I thought.

I did this back in February and got this:

Enthusiasm for music - 94%
Musical perception - 99%
Emotional connection - 64%
Social creativity - 56%
Musical curiosity - 96%

Fairly rubbish at the genre grouping
16/18 for match the beat
7 high 2 medium for tapping
10/12 for memory

My Mac screen turned red and then suffered kernel panics before restarting in Panther.

Does this mean AI really exists or did I record a negative score?

Nope. Just means you've got a Mac. Try doing it again on a computer.

OK:

Enthusiasm for Music: 43% (huh?)
perception: 98%
emotional connection: 34% (say what?)
Social creativity: 30%
music curiosity: 71%

Group the music: rubbish
Match the beat: 14/18
Tap to the beat: 4 high 4 medium 1 low
Melody memory: 12/12

What a lot of nonsense!

Well!!

Enthusiasm 78%
Perception 99%
Emotional 28%
Creativity 56%
Curiosity 19%

Group the music Rubbish
Beat 12/18
Tap the beat 4H 3M 2L
Melody mem 11/12

Chris

I shall be interested to see whether ANYone could group those 'micro-clips' with a degree of success.
I appeared to have done surprisingly well, considering that, because I was clueless, I did it randomly after the first 2-3, but suspect that it was really only 'random'!

I certainly felt it was generally a fairly true representation of what I had previously thought .....
As is always the case with questionnaires like this, I thought that some of the questions were very difficult to answer with a degree of satisfaction ... occasionally I wanted to put-in something completely different. "Agree => Disagree" are not always the right options!

Enthusiasm 95%
Perception 98%
Emotional 76%
Creativity 26%
Curiosity 99%

Obviously a creative misfit then....

Group the music Rubbish
Beat 10/18
Tap the beat 5H 3M 1L
Melody mem 6/12 oops...

As you're all being open and honest...

Enthusiasm - 96%
Perception - 99%
Emotion - 93%
Social creativity - 14% (guess that's me out for Karaoke and sing alongs...)
Curiosity - 98%

groups - rubbish (HJPP, PPRR, HJJJ,HHRR)
Match beat - 12/18 (harder than I thought)
Tap - 4H/4M/1L (some tricky ones there, and one finished before I could get going)
Melody Memory - 8/12 (surprised me, I thought I was heading for a duck).

Enthusiasm: 51
Perception: 99
Emotion: 34
Social Creativity: 95
Curiosity: 84

I find these results as I might imagine myself to be before taking the test so pretty accurate really.

There are some things to note about the test and how it relates to people on this forum and their results. One thing seems to stick out above all others as being consistently high and that is the 'music perception' category. Since we are all on this forum and all play sax amongst other instruments it follows that this should be generally high across the board or we wouldn't be here. I'd love to see some actual results for people who do not play an instrument but are otherwise interested in music. I tried to get my non-instrument-playing wife to take the test but she wasn't interested which is a shame because it would be fascinating to find out the scores for someone who wasn't really interested in music. :dontgetit::confused2:

I'll try her again later.

Martin

Enthusiasm 49%
Perception 12%
Emotional 89%
Creativity 10%
Curiosity 59%

Group the music - managed some pairs
Beat 10/18
Tap the beat 3H 5M 1L
Melody mem 7/12

Perhaps I should give up now:(

Jx

Enthusiasm 49%
Perception 12%
Emotional 89%
Creativity 10%
Curiosity 59%

Group the music - managed some pairs
Beat 10/18
Tap the beat 3H 5M 1L
Melody mem 7/12

Perhaps I should give up now:(

Jx

Jeanette,

Your emotional score is high, mine is quite low but this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbzxhZT6akk makes me quite emotional so it may do wondrous things for you.

I wouldn't take too much notice of individual results in the test as only the scientists who devised it will get anything out of it as only they see all the results in context and usually only the results they already expect to see (unless they are good (amateur) scientists like me ;}).

Martin

It struck me that the tests were quite poorly designed. Hence the universally low scores on the grouping test for example. I'm sure most of us here can tell the diff between jazz and hip-hop. Also I put my low score on emotional connection down to my diffidence in aswering those kind of questions. Let's see, do I "agree", "strongly agree" or "profoundly agree" (or whatever it was). I dunno, just put "agree". How do you measure how much you agree with something? Not very objective or scientific IMHO.

It struck me that the tests were quite poorly designed. Hence the universally low scores on the grouping test for example. I'm sure most of us here can tell the diff between jazz and hip-hop. Also I put my low score on emotional connection down to my diffidence in aswering those kind of questions. Let's see, do I "agree", "strongly agree" or "profoundly agree" (or whatever it was). I dunno, just put "agree". How do you measure how much you agree with something? Not very objective or scientific IMHO.

Good point and something I've wondered about in other places.

Take the statement 'Tony Blair is an adequate liar'. Do you strongly agree?

Strangely you would now emphatically agree (should you choose to) with the statement that someone was adequate at something thereby making a stronger statement than the original statement!!

Now I have had too much wine but I will rethink this problem in the morning as I'm sure I have a point to make.

If one were 'an adequate liar', I'd imagine you wouldn't ever be caught out :)

The questions must be carefully-phrased .... "I have stopped beating my wife" would not be good :)))

Please don't make this thread p[olotical !

lol

Poorly designed? Not sure.

The marks/analysis merely say that you've scored higher than x% of all replies. Implying that they're grading by percentiles of all responses, not that they're trying to give an absolute rating on a standardised test. There are also a lot of questions asking the same thing a different way around. We also don't know what they're trying to acieve with the test or why they asked the questions they do.

On the grouping test I'm wondering if they're trying to get a feel whether the previous research they quote is widely applicable or not. But they don't give percentile scores for that one. Just tell you what you did and give a general feedback which I thought covered all replies.

But this test is problematic for drawing conclusions - for a start the people tested are self selected. No randomisation, so yo'd expect different responses from a group of sax players, to a those from a group of non-musicians. Admittedly there are questions about background, experience, so one can go some way to addressing thes issues, but nowhere near as well as a proper random sample.

Treat it as fun.... But it's interesting and there's a lot of useful feedback there.

Enthusiasm 87%
Perception 86%
Emotional 89%
Creativity 80%
Curiosity 94%

I need to work on my perception... :(

Enthusiasm 87%
Perception 86%
Emotional 89%
Creativity 80%
Curiosity 94%

I need to work on my perception... :(

Wow, those are very consistently high scores!
Are you a professional musician?