All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

How much is my sax really worth?

bbohannon

I am trying to sell one of my horns and can't seem to pinpoint the real value of my tenor saxophone. It is a Selmer Super Action 80 Series II. I am still trying to figure out how/where to sell it as well. Thoughts? Pictures below:

5N25L35G33M23F53Hdc366974eafdc731171b.jpg

5N15H75M33Ge3M23occ36df970cd20a8c141a.jpg

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I cannot see the actual conditions.
Check ebay searching for completed listings.

I would say £1800 online, £2000 through a shop (recommended) but it is a rough guess.

TomMapfumo

Hi There!

It all depends on where you are based as selling is a fairly subjective issue, and "real value" is only what another human being is prepared to pay for it. I think aldevis makes a very good estimate of what someone would pay, but giving any further advice/help would depend on where you are based on the planet. If you are in the UK then lots of us could potentially offer some suggestions, but you do not include your location.

My awareness about the UK is that lots of places seem to regularly advertise used Selmers, and personally speaking I would prefer to see something different to buy - Buffet Super Dynaction or other. Lots of folks seem more questioning of Selmers these days - and think that they may be overrated. Who knows?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
My awareness about the UK is that lots of places seem to regularly advertise used Selmers, and personally speaking I would prefer to see something different to buy - Buffet Super Dynaction or other. Lots of folks seem more questioning of Selmers these days - and think that they may be overrated. Who knows?
Incidentally a Dolnet Bel Air appeared on my doorstep this morning, and at 7.30 am a very soft C# showed to be slightly flat.
No high pitch instrument, then.

Updates coming soon (I will visit repairer tomorrow)

jbtsax

Subscriber
In the U.S. the average eBay price for a Selmer S-80 tenor in lacquer good condition in the past 90 days has been $2092. That translates to about 1325 pounds at the current exchange rate. I don't know if this helps or not.

milandro

In the Netherlands a secondhand Selmer Super Action 80 II Tenor varies from 1500€ to a max of 2000€ a shop could fetch a little more. These are hard times.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom