supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

How much have you spent?

How much have you spent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moz

I have spent s##tloads on sax stuff. Three saxes (sold one though), mouthpieces, gigbags, reeds, lessons, courses, sheet music etc etc ad infinitum. I suppose if I was honest I could say that over the last six years I have spent around £6500 on this rather addictive hobby. I do a few gigs now so about 0.5% of my expenditure is coming back but even so, I am way behind.

How much have YOU spent?

Martin

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I paid 300 Euros for mine, then spent anopther hundred on fuel to collect it... Then 50 to get it checked out and adjusted. Add a few bits and pieces (strap, mpc, music, Pete's video) and I'm just over 500. However lessons start in September and then the costs will climb.

half diminished

I suspect most will fall into the £600 to £2000. Maybe you should have had a couple of extra price ranges. Me, well I guess I will have spent about £4k net when the SX90R sells but I do have two very nice saxes.

half diminished

Actually, on reflection I didn't include the cost of my lessons nor the Jazzwise course not the software, microphone or books. That'd all push me over £6k in less than 2 years! Though I don't expect to change either sax nor buy anymore kit. Except I do need a mp for the sop!

rob1969

hi were do i start my first sax was an ebay 200 pound only played 3 times
the weltklang i have now cost 145 millions of books
and petes dvd
well the first one i had to sell quick cash flow so went to cash convertors for
60 pound so iam out of pocket all ready what a fool i was

jadoube

first sax a gift
second off eBay - circa £300 after a trip to the bedy & fender shop
third sax -£450
mouthpieces - perhaps £225
various books - must be over £150
reeds etc - ???

I forgot to count lessons - perhaps £1500 to date, or band subs, so I'm a bracket higher than I thought

dooce

Expenditure - about £2.6k on saxes but I still have to sell my old Conn 10M, so that will reduce it a bit, and I would guess a further £1k on various sh*te, including a huge collection of mouthpieces, reeds and ligs, a Protec case, 2 microphones & associated leads, an effects pedal and more straps than you would find on a double-decker bus.....

jonf

Gordon Bennett, how much?

Over the years, I really don't know. All I can say is that it must be way, way over £6k. I've spent the thick end of that just on the saxes and mouthpieces I can see from where I'm sitting. With all the (particularly tenor) mouthpieces I've been through, together with music, reeds, mics, stands, etc etc it will add up to quite a bit. Having said that, the net amount won't be so bad as I've sold a far old bit as well, usually either covering my costs or making a profit.

Anyway, for the enjoyment I've had over the years, I reckon it still works out as good value. It's a bit like that old saying, 'If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink', only applied to saxes.

losaavedra

An interesting question! If its only supposed to apply to saxophones then I'm pretty cheap to run ... my only sax is 150 quids worth of Chinese alto (including delivery from Germany) that my financial controller decided to give me as a Christmas present 18 months ago out of the proceeds of some film extra work I did! Its enough for me ... it plays fine but I would want to get a lot better at it before considering an upgrade.
However, if talking music stuff generally then its a slightly different story as I've been accumulating bits and pieces for many years and my collection currently includes five guitars (one still going strong 43 years later!), an upright piano, three other keyboards, loads of harmonicas, a Line 6 combo modelling amp, a 400W mixer/p.a., an earth-moving twin 15" bass guitar speaker set-up, several practise amps, a guitar effects processor (another one in the pipeline) and a BOSS BR900CD recorder ... oh and a trumpet that I have yet to get a single note out of! I suppose one should add to the general 'hobby cost' that of providing somewhere to put all this sort of stuff but my second home studio effort (a 6M x 5M space has been earmarked) is still at the planning stage.
Anyway, I went for the 501-2000 option poll-wise as I don't really discriminate between one music producing bit of kit and another!!!

Taz

Busking Oracle
This makes me realise how lucky I've been, I've still got my first sax. It's an Earlham Series II alto, Mrs Taz bought for me for Christmas 2004 (I actually got it in November) I then decided that I would like to try a tenor, so I decided to visit that very reputable place.....ebay! The first tenor I bought, I didn't even look at the name on it. I paid £150 and had to drive to Liverpool to pick it up. It was ok, could have been quite nice with a service, it was playable and it taught me that the tenor was my sax of choice. I knew then that a new sax would be a worthy purchase. So ebay was my choice again. This time it almost ended in disaster! I paid £120 for a nice shiny new sax (Having sold the first one for a profit of £50) It even came with a nice pair of white gloves!!!! Yup, you guessed it.....PIECE OF C*%P The more I played it the worse it got. (I wish it noted that I was not a member of this site then, if I had been, I wouldn't have touched it!!!) Well I decided to sell it from where I bought it and I managed to recoup my money. I still wasn't put off the devils junk yard, but this time I researched the horns on offer and asked much better questions of the seller. This Time I managed to pick up my Amati, owned from new apparently, used by a student for a short period, and then stored in mothballs! I paid the seller £180 and awaited its arrival. It was exactly as it was advertised. Brilliant. It played quite nicely straight from the box. I then bought a Runyon Quantum mouthpiece from the junk yard and that cost £50. I bought an Eddie Daniels lig from Sax.co for £50 and then I had the sax serviced for about £160.. All in all, Buying my alto for £400, buying and selling 2 tenors, buying my Amati, ONE mouthpiece and a decent lig all adds up to just shy of a £1000. Then of course I have to take into consideration three lessons, hours of busking and now gigging for a very reasonable rate, I think I'm probably quids in!:welldone:welldone:sax:

Pee Dee

How much have I spent? Not much, but that's all I can afford:crying:
Probably still having as much success and fun as anybody else here though:welldone

OP
Moz

Moz

Now I'm beginning to wish hadn't started this thread. When I posted it I just had this vague idea of how much I had spent on sax and sax-related stuff but various mentionings of other things suddenly brought back to me that in the past I bought (and still own) a Roland digital piano, Yamaha synthesizer, effects boxes, music software, blues harps, loads of things. If I recall correctly, I even bought a new PC as my old one didn't have enough oomph or dataports to run everything I had.

Now the figures are starting to get a bit frightening because I have to add in the cost of petrol getting to music lessons and the cost of the sax weeks at Knuston Hall.

Music stand, sax stand(s), reeds, key oil, pull-thru's, sax servicing...!!!!!!

I'm going to bed now to cry myself to sleep...

...nah, not really. Let's face it, it's just the cost of life as we choose to live it. If we'd never spent money on anything we'd all have lots of money and precious little else.

Keep on blowin' and devil take the hindmost.

Martin

AlanU

Swings and roundabouts.
Some you buy for too much, some you make a modest profit on. But it is all experience which enables one to see the bigger picture.

Wurlitzer alto, Yamaha Yas 62, Buescher Tru-tone tenor, Weltklang soprano, Selmer Mk VI tenor, Selmer Mk VII alto and an awful Arbiter soprano have all come and gone.

Total cost = no idea, but it's been a lot of fun (and frustration) and I've learned a lot. No lessons, books bought without much benefit.
Call it quits.

I'm now contentedly married to my two altos, a 1928 Martin stencil and my new Conn-Selmer AS700. No more of those bulky tenors for me thanks.

I am however, not completely cured. I do find the idea of a cute little curved soprano strangely compelling, so I might be off again, another mouthpiece, ligature, box of reeds etc.

Is there no end to this torment?

Top Bottom