support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How many musical instruments do you play?

How many instruments do you play?

• None

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Just the one

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Two or three

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Four or more

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
Hi Ian,

For a horrible moment I though you were asking how many do I have!

I play the sax, dabble on the guitar, look quizzically at the clarinet and the keyboard leaning against the wall has proved excellent for hanging my coat on!

Chris

Hi Ian

Guitar (acoustic, electric) four in stock!
Tenor Sax
Banjo
Piano

That's in order of proficiency.
Sue my wife says no more but I've got my eye on an alto sax.

Andrew

Hi Ian,

For a horrible moment I though you were asking how many do I have!
Me too! Ok, here goes- saxes (tenor and curved soprano), flute, blues harps, musical saw,penny whistle/low whistle plus electric and acoustic guitar (reasonably competent strummer but no more than that).
Also got and tinker incompetantly on- my wife's bass, an accordion and my dad's old mandolin....

I have a ten year plan, so do have periodic breaks from instruments, but have had lessons in last 3 years on Sax, Trumpet, Bass Guitar, & Jazz Piano - just starting on Trombone next week. I am usually having lessons in 2 instruments at any one time - currently trumpet & trombone. The joys of being able to work part-time!

So usually play 2,3 or 4 at any one time, but have played all over a longer time period.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

I have a ten year plan, so do have periodic breaks from instruments, but have had lessons in last 3 years on Sax, Trumpet, Bass Guitar, & Jazz Piano - just starting on Trombone next week. I am usually having lessons in 2 instruments at any one time - currently trumpet & trombone. The joys of being able to work part-time!

So usually play 2,3 or 4 at any one time, but have played all over a longer time period.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Tom,
Thinking of trying out Trombone how difficult is it compared to sax??

all saxes, and can knock out a scale on just about anything you blow down so thats all woodwind and brass instruments -I fix em for a living so must be able to at least play a scale on em.

I didnt include the fire wood range of instuments eg porridge guns (AKA bagpipes) and witchety grub mortars (AKA didgery do's) :)))

Instruments

I play saxes, clarinet and flute, and can also mangle a tune of sorts out of gob iron (AKA blues harp, or harmonica for the elderly among you:))))

Similar to Jon, although I'd put clarinet in the 'mangle' rather than 'play' section. Oh, and very slow keyboard too.

Phil

Tom,
Thinking of trying out Trombone how difficult is it compared to sax??

Good question!

Pros.

1. No buttons to press.
2. Only need a mouthpiece - no reeds, ligature etc. (mouthpieces c £35).
3. Can get a very decent one for £200+.
4. Quite light, no need for strap.

Cons.

1. Have to learn embouchure and 7 slide positions (no marks - like fretless bass guitar). You can produce a variety of notes on each slide position by changing your embouchure and airflow (bit like squeezing a hosepipe to get a more powerful jet).
2. Needs more breath.
3. Harder to make notes, and no simple order of keys to press to get sounds.

Worth a go, and can be cool in the right hands.
Overall I would say it is harder to produce a good sound on a trombone than a sax but is
simpler to operate.

Kind regards
Tom:mrcool

PM me if I can be of further help!

Last edited by a moderator:
In order of proficiency:
Saxes (Alto mainly, but also Sop and Tenor - Baritone rarely)
Oboe
Guitar (six string electric and accoustic)
Bass guitar
Recorder (not kids - grown up stuff)
Drums
Piano (very very badly)

Does voice count? It should! Therefore include groaning in the bass section of a choir sometimes.

Stephen

Play???? I make noise on saxes, that's all. I don't go near any other instruments. BTW. Sometimes I play on trombones with sax mps. That's real noise!

Thomas

I am a really superb player of the turntable and moving coil cartridge,

Used to be pretty good old time banjo picker.

Sounds go round and round in the following
Three chord folk guitarist, aren't we all, old Eros with own over used capo,
Tony Dixon brass high d with whistle and piccolo mouthpieces,
1937 Hohner Erika converted from Club to D/G plus flattened half row for Morris and blues,
Pearl 505 flute, aka noodling stick,
Yamaha CS6X Synthesiser,
Yamaha 9000 Pro keyboard,
Akai EWI 4000S with Mac and fantastic Pete Thomas samples.

Almost forgot, Hanson tenor, NO not John Hanson sings, in silver and gold plate, RPC mouthpiece and some form of idiot who holds it.

At various points over my life I have played....

recorder, tenor recorder, flute, fife, piano/keys, xylophone, drums/percussion, vocals and now sax!

I counted up for this poll after doing the 'have' survey. Of the instruments in my reply there I still can't get anything sensible out of the trumpet and clarinet but still opted for 'max' (with 14) on this 'playing' survey as less of a number needed qualify! Hope I did that right as I get easily confused!!!!!!

Well,
tenor sax (sort of)

and I have a soprano sax which I attempt every so often if I have got the time after tenor practice

and I have have just bought a ukulele as we (my colleague and I) are going to try to get the kids at work interested in playing music and the ukulele looks like the easiest route.

I work in a hospital schoolroom teaching children who are missing school because (obviously!) they are in hospital.

I play sax's and an Oboe, but Jane and I are going to learn trombones in september with a bit of luck.

Col.

Well I am primarily a sax player followed by guitar (mostly acoustic these days). I have had a couple of piano lessons but wouldn't say I play as that stopped very quickly, and then there are all the other instruments I collect and mess around with but don't really play, from my native american flute to harmonica and djimbe.

i was a drummer for 12 years in a club.now grade 4 lsm alto sax player.it,s not every tom tom dick dick or harry harry that can play the drums. mally

Play - as in read a piece of music and make a respectable-ish attempt at rendering it into something audible......sax and flute.

Fumble my around and get a not-totally-dischordant sound out of.......guitar and keyboards.

I really fancy playing the violin next :shocked:

Back
Top Bottom