support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How many mouthpieces do you bring when you go to play?

How many mouthpieces do you bring when you go to play?

Votes: 10 40.0%

Votes: 10 40.0%

Votes: 4 16.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • None, I don' need no stinkin' mouthpiece (for the contrarians and comedians)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Account Closed
I was going to ask, "How many mouthpieces are in your case when you go out to play?". But then I anticipated someone would say "None, I have a gig bag" or "I don't carry them in the case". So instead I tried to be unambiguous.
mpc.jpg

That's a joke, I probably will take two and they'll be similar.

As far as alto goes, I have a few setups but the type of gig will pre-determine what I take. I've had a Lakey 4*3 rubber for years which really is quite incredible. It's the best lead alto mouthpiece for me - clarity, power, flexibility, direct, bright (but not too much). You can back off it too and it will do a really decent Paul Desmond - but by choice, I tend to change to something less 'easily aggressive' or direct in a small band situation playing standards. It's a very good Pop 'piece too, though if I need a little extra bite/brightness I use a Jody Jazz DV8.

The Jody isn't too dissimilar to a Beechler (and many others of this ilk), but I find it more forgiving if I haven't played it for a good while whereas I found that I had to absolutely live on the Beechler and a Dukoff D10 (yes, D10) that I had and loved. I used it on a Yanagisawa A800 Elimona I had in the '90's and it was more or less the the most playable setup I've ever had. I eventually succumbed to the pull of a Mk 6 and I couldn't even control a D8 on that. Sax bore sizes??

For the jazz combo gigs I've been happy on a Meyer 6, Otto Link and now a Vandoren A-something. Variations upon a relatively small theme really - the Vandoren being a little more punchy if required, for me anyway.

I've changed reeds over the years too - different vamps don't suit all facings, and some are brighter or darker. I've used Hemke 2.5, Vandoren ZZ 3, Vandoren Javas 2.5/3, Rico Jazz Select 3 soft (for a recent rock 'n' roll gig on tenor the filed reeds were a revelation over the non-filed).

My number 1 thing is sound though, so it drives me nuts even if it's just a few % off where I want it. The Lakey would be an amazing all-rounder for me, but I chop and change for that extra few %. Having said that, my gig-types tend to be a long run of one thing, rather than a constant change - which could possibly lead me to stick with one size fits all..

I guess one thing is that if you have 2 similar, on a faraway venue, if perchance one breaks (dropped in concrete or whatever) you're not dead in the water. As for which ones, I get that. I have one I just got that is more open than what I'm used to and I am just starting to use it, it's more brash for a louder, more edgy sound. I might brig it and the smaller tip when I get more experience.

I guess one thing is that if you have 2 similar, on a faraway venue, if perchance one breaks (dropped in concrete or whatever) you're not dead in the water. As for which ones, I get that. I have one I just got that is more open than what I'm used to and I am just starting to use it, it's more brash for a louder, more edgy sound. I might brig it and the smaller tip when I get more experience.
I don't cater for a lost or broken one no. I think I probably did on tour when away from home for a while.

Actually, my wife is kind enough to take one of my instruments if I happen to have two, so I could put the mouthpieces in the case she carries and say "zero". But I digress. Of course, if you drop your sax, it may well break, and you may not have another to play. But I feel it's a good idea to keep an extra if you can. The Yam 4C that came with the instrument can serve as a safety for me.

I only take one. I'm very cautious. I have dropped a mouthpiece a couple of times, but never broke one. It is a possibility, so taking a spare might be a good idea.

One for each sax. Sometimes I take SATB. I have been known to be clumsy with things but only once with instruments.

I won't let any one carry my gear. My reasoning being, if I drop it, I'll be annoyed, but if you drop it I'll be furious.
Undoubtedly the best ploy. However, my tour involving Sop, alto, tenor, accordion, assorted percussion and very late gig finish times the offer to have the crew take it around was too tempting...

I always have my vandoren optimum for 99.9 percent of my playing (classical/ contemporary), my vandoren v16s+ for jazz, and the 4C that came with the sax. These are all the alto mouthpieces I own and they all live in my case. My reed case has 3 vandoren traditionals and 3 vandoren v16s.
Important to note is that even though I always have 3, I'll only ever use one of them.

So far, the majority says "one" (per sax). That seems to indicate that it's true that no matter how many you own, you feel most comfortable playing on one, or like that tone best. Yes, which one depends on the type of music, if you play several.

That seems to indicate that it's true that no matter how many you own, you feel most comfortable playing on one, or like that tone best. Yes, which one depends on the type of music,
Or that your gigs aren't that important, you've never dropped and broken a mouthpiece in 50 years, and you have no intention of switching setups and getting used to the new one half way through.