All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

How many cafesax'ers use Spotify?

saxplorer

I use Spotify more and more, especially to "research" tunes, to get a sense of different approaches to tunes etc. I love also that I can use it on my phone over wifi around the house.

I am sure some others use it as much as I do, but how widespread is it?

Is it worth posting links like this? : H2 Quartet – Times & Spaces (should only work if you've got Spotify installed)

rhysonsax

Occasional user to research different versions of a tune that I'm interested in. I also use iTunes and wonder why they have different versions available, although lots of overlap.

Thanks for the Spotify link - I'm enjoying that album right now.

Rhys

navarro

Never tried it but know a man who owns two music shops who has . He developed a spotty face after opening his account.>:) Regds N.

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
I'll elaborate a bit more in the ways I use it.

I use it for the playlist of my coverband;

I made a "party playlist" which I update regularly with songs I like and others will like and play when I give parties.and with my android app spotimote I can control the music from my smartphone without having to walk to the laptop/pc to change songs/ volume /playlist. so I dont have to leave the people I'm talking to at my own party.

When studying (for school not music) I have a few playlists I subscribed which I like to listen while studying:
*Saxophone greatest Popsolos;
*Benjamin Herman;
*Sonny Rollins;
* Dutch Radio station playlists

And I use it to share music via facebook and spotify with other users/friends.

sooo, It`s use can be quite divers.

Taz

Busking Oracle
I used to use it quite a lot when it was free, now I don't bother as you are limited to the number of times you can listen to a track. I've recently changed my mobile phone package and one thing my provider gives me, free of charge, is a premium subscription to Deezer. With this I can download as many tracks, to my phone, as I like and I can listen to them whether I'm connected to the internet or not. In my opinion, it's streets above Spotify.

compound

Been on it for a couple of years, some of the listings are a bit short on material. Others not bad, like King Curtis, The Champs, Jr Walker, Red Prysock etc. I'm still on the free one so not a bad deal.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Yes Andrew, I use it for research purposes too. It's good to hear many different versions of the same tune.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Seeing as the majority of listening i do these days is in my car, not any more........

saxnik

I'm a subscriber - I consider it a business expense!!

Mostly I use it for research on a gig or demonstration in a lesson, but feel free to post links..!

AndyWhiteford

I tend to use youtube, occasionally downloading MP3 audio versions of the youtube-videos to play on itunes / ipod ;-)
I have a spotify account, but i found the channels drifted "off-topic" very quickly.

_A_

littleplum

I use spotify regularly, am an on the free version but limited to 5 plays of any track. I use it for backing tracks, just type in a song title followed by the word karaoke and you normally get plenty to choose from. Some are awful but you can normally find something to fit your needs.

cheers

Dave

jbtsax

Subscriber
Oh dear. I could possibly be the last musician on the planet to learn about Spotify. My teacher showed it to me in our lesson last week and I subscribed immediately. What an amazing resource to research and find obscure recordings. Now I just need to learn how to connect while in my car on long trips. Any suggestions. Remember I am old and technologically challenged so don't assume I know what Bluetooth or any of that other stuff is.

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
I use Spotify more and more, especially to "research" tunes, to get a sense of different approaches to tunes etc. I love also that I can use it on my phone over wifi around the house.

I am sure some others use it as much as I do, but how widespread is it?

Is it worth posting links like this? : H2 Quartet – Times & Spaces (should only work if you've got Spotify installed)
.I listen to it almost every day, I have found lots that I enjoy.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Now I just need to learn how to connect while in my car on long trips. Any suggestions. Remember I am old and technologically challenged so don't assume I know what Bluetooth or any of that other stuff is.
It's Internet, not radio. So you need a mobile with data connection, preferably unlimited. Then the mobile has to connect to the car radio. You might be able to go headphone out on the phone to a jack plug in on the radio. Or Bluetooth. Bluetooth is easy, assuming your car radio does it, matches the version on your phone and you have the instructions for both. Then you need an in car charger from cigarette lighter socket to phone. Then you find that the radio may not control the phone, so if you want to change what's playing, you're fiddling illegally with the phone.

Then you drive and find that the there's no phone coverage in the remote areas and you've wasted your money and time...

I've got an SSD hard drive on the USB connection to my car radio. Car radio controls it. Works a treat. As long as my Bluetooth phone isn't too close to the SSD. USB stick would work just as well.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom