support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces How Long is an Otto Link STM Alto Mouthpiece ?

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Strange question perhaps ...

My tenor Otto Link Super Tonemaster (the metal one) is 99mm long (about 3.90 inches) from tip rail to end of the shank.

If any of you have got the alto version of this classic mouthpiece, could you please measure its length and post the answer here ?

I believe the length of Link STMs varied a bit with vintage, so an idea of the mouthpiece's age would be interesting too.

Thanks

Rhys

I have an alto STM and a tenor one. The alto was second hand but I would guess about 5 years old, 87 mm long.
The tenor 10 years old, (bought new) 100mm long.
Hope this helps.
O.C.V.

Haven't got an alto one, but have just measured my tenor one and it's 102mm, supporting your theory that they vary. It's an 'early modern' one (ie, not one of the over-priced 'classic' ones), size 10, and judging by the plating wear, from the late 1970s/early 1980s.

Incidentally, it also has a greater bore than the nearly new STM New York I had a couple of years ago. Needs the neck cork padding out to fit properly.

The tenors are all 100 cm give or take, except the longer ones from the 80s. Altos are about 10 shorter iirc, no significant changes on these afaik.

That said, there are some unusual pieces out there. I have heard of short tenor pieces (Courtney Pine uses one) but haven't worked on any. If it works like a tenor piece it may well be, despite outward appearances. Otoh, the chambers on the alto pieces are nearly as big as the tenors.

The tenors are all 100 cm give or take, except the longer ones from the 80s. Altos are about 10 shorter iirc, no significant changes on these afaik.

That said, there are some unusual pieces out there. I have heard of short tenor pieces (Courtney Pine uses one) but haven't worked on any. If it works like a tenor piece it may well be, despite outward appearances. Otoh, the chambers on the alto pieces are nearly as big as the tenors.

Thanks Morgan - I think a 100cm mouthpiece would take some handling ! :))) It's those pesky non-imperial units isn't it.

The figures here seem to be pretty consistent with what I have heard here and from MOJO on SOTW, who put the alto STM at usually 3.5" (89mm) with one of 3.6" (91.4mm).

Thanks everyone, it confirms something that I have suspected and should help me sort out a problem.

Rhys

Back
Top Bottom