support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

how long have you been playing

1954pip

Locality
linc's (between boston & spalding
hi being a newbe i just wondered how long most people have been playing

Hi Pip, I've been playing for six years this month. I started on alto and then after about three or four months I got a tenor and now, after five and a half years I've got my bari. I have still got all my other horns, I could never bring myself to sell any of them. Every now and then I'll get the alto out and give it a play but most of my time is shared between the bari and the tenor. I do favour the bari though but that could just be because she is so new to me and I love the sound she makes!

hi i am a bit dim but what is a bari does it mean baritone?
does it play the same way?
why do so many go for a bari sax?

h'mm man of few words ,must be a falic thingy

Sorry Pip, yes, a bari is a baritone. I think the reason so many people go for it is that they sound so full and lush! My ambition when I first started was to get the alto then a tenor and then a soprano. Since starting to really get in the instruments I decided to go deep instead of high and, to my ears, screechy! (Sorry all you sop players, no disrespect meant ;})

Bit more than 4 months. Started with an alto and got a tenor a few weeks ago. Mainly practicing alto 'cause it's harder to keep the little rascal in tune (it seemed so big when I got it, though). But I used to play the clarinet a lot in my youth.

Technically 20 years, but in reality a couple of years of sporadic playing in my late teens followed by a two decade gap. I now been playing again for a week!

Similar to virus. Couple of years of mindless noodling followed by a 15 year gap and this time I have been playing for about 18 months.

mamos

3 years playing on an Alto - Starting to get the hang of it a bit now....

I am just a n00b ...

I started around June this year with a Yanagaswa 992 [Alto]
By August I bought My Yani T9923J [Tenor Sax]

I am learning to read music - under my own steam ... [Slooooowly] ;}
[but I get a bit lazy and prefer to blow my horns] :sax:

I play for hours on end each week - most days 3 or four hours ... :w00t:

I reckon I am doing OK - but I do understand that it's a very long road ...

It's amazing how my fingers seem to know where they need to go to hit the right notes - I love it ...

Last edited by a moderator:
hi i am a bit dim but what is a bari does it mean baritone?
does it play the same way?
they play the same. It's in Eb, an octave below the alto.

THere's also a make of mouthpieces callled bari - just to add to the confusio.

Started 1953 played in a few "rock" bands, stopped in 1965 (the drug scene was to much for me, the rest of the band were all dead by 1968). Started playing seriously again a couple of years ago.

John.

Been playing at playing and singing music for over sixty-eight years but playing at playing tenor sax for three and a half. Still total crap, partially owing to an ongoing battle with the Council over Sheltered Housing Officers, recommend them to everyone. Also beginning to realise that the Stan Getz playalike is never going to happen so wondering if a Gerry Mulligan might be achievable but more likely to end up sounding like Mick Mulligan.

I've been learning the Alto for 12 months this month, I've also been learning music from scratch which makes things a little slower. I've been having lessons for the last 12 months as well but in the last 3-4 months I haven't had time to practice much, I am back on track again now though (hopefully) and practising everyday for at least 30 mins.

Just over thirty years, although I had three years off as my eldest daughter was terrified by the sax. Motivated to start up again by my next door neighbour starting on alto at the age of fifty. Now I play every day, pretty much without fail.

I started to play the alto saxophone just before christmas in 1968. And I’m playing ROCK & ROLL SAXOPHONE. No classical or jazz saxophone. I listen to jazz and classic music, but to play ….. well it’s not my cup of tea!

Nowadays I sometimes wonder why I continued to play the saxophone? In the mid and late 70’s I played football. My team played 1-1 against Chelsea in -74 and a year later we beat Hamburg HSV at Volkparks Stadion in Hamburg. The peak of my ”career” as footballplayer. During those years I didn’t play that much sax.
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/thomsax/?action=view&current=boiskopiera.jpg
(Fourth raw from above, fourth person from left. You know, I was a lite-hippie as well. Long hair, "Love , Peace & Understanding" …. and playing football. Weird!! Today some of my hair has fall out and what’s left is grey).

And I also became a cook/chef and that was also hard to combinate with the saxplaying. I often worked when my fellow musicians were out ”gigging”!! So not that much saxplaying during those years as well.

I guess I play the sax in the same way as I played football and in the way as I’m cooking. Football/saxplayer: With attack and hit hard! Follow your instinct! Don’t ask yourself to many questions. Chef/saxplayer: No recipies/charts. Learn how things blends and react. Listen/taste what you’re playing/cooking. Keep it simple! Few ingredients/tones. Learn the tones in the chords and the chordchanges.

Today my saxlife is good. I play almost every day and I’ve also started Rocksax- and Blues Projects. No regular band.

Tenor or baritone sax is my main weapon/tool. I love the saxophone as an instrument. I bought my Martins when nobody wanted a sax like that. Also the Dukoff mouthpieces were available for me. And I decided that Martin saxes and Dukoffs was the combination I should play. (I thought I would switch to Rovner mpc on all my saxes but they’re now re-desiging!!). I didn’t care so much what shoe brand I used as footballplayer so why should I bother so much about my sax and setup? It’s the instinct that make the football and rocksaxplayer??

Lot’s of drivel!! Now I have to drive to work at the restaurantschool in Kristianstad. We are celebrating Martin of Tours aka Mårten with serving goose. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_of_Tours) today. We call the day Mårtensafton! My students are going to serve the Scanian Goose !!!

Back to the question. I have played the saxophone for 42 years, more or less.

Thomas

Been playing just over two years now all on Tenor upto a few months ago when I bought a Bari. Don't practice enough though must fix that!

Mark.

graduated from being a vaguely folky flute player and blues harp tootler in the mid 1990s.... so about 15 years of honknig and tooting...