PPT mouthpieces

How long have you been playing?

How long have you been playing your main instrument?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Account Closed
I would be interested to see how many people are in which group. I ask you to choose one instrument you consider main so we can have a fairly accurate count.

I started in 2001, I remember that the day I had to go for my first lesson at the music academy, was the day the twin towers were attacked.
But since that day I had a few periods of non-activity.
Still, I think that the active periods add up to at least 10 years.....

Ive been playing since fourth grade, now I'm just about off to college. I remeber the band director told me I was going to play trumpet, but I cried becasue I wanted to play saxophone like my grandpa

Yes, although I didn't choose guitar. I think what is interesting is wind instruments because I'm curious to see the average experience in years and I think others might find it interesting, too.

Not sure how to answer

Saxophones: 9 years
Baritone (which seems to have become my main sax without much conscious choice on my part): 7 years
Clarinet: 50 years on and off, but don't play it much now

Yes, we'll see if anything changed after 9 years. Except, there's no poll, so unless you have the patience to do thae tally...

Good poll, @randulo! I just want to note there are many members who've played for less years than I have but play much better than I do. Either through more diligent/regular practice, longer tutoring or both. Talent plays a part too ;).
My point is that the 'number of years' is interesting. The progress that members make during these years may differ widely
Mike.
(Little tuition or practice)

I started just before Christmas 1968 when I was 12 years old. But in the mid 70's I didn't play more than 2 times/week. I had a short football carreer with training 5 days a week and one match day. I consider myself being more a sax owner than a sax player. I will Rock On and Keep On Blowin' as long as I can.

@MikeMorrell makes a very valid point, I am reluctant to tell people how long I have been playing as I would expect me to be much better than I am. But in that time I lost a year to tennis elbow, I've had periods at work where I've been too tired to play much and last autumn spent more time on theory than playing....

Jx

Good poll, @randulo! I just want to note there are many members who've played for less years than I have but play much better than I do. Either through more diligent/regular practice, longer tutoring or both. Talent plays a part too ;).
My point is that the 'number of years' is interesting. The progress that members make during these years may differ widely
Mike.
(Little tuition or practice)

Excellent point. I think, not only in saxophone playing but in any endeavor that requires the development of skill, there is a big difference between 10 years experience and 1 year of experience 10 times. Sometimes an individual will reach a plateau and never grow beyond it.