How do you find reliable band members?

Col

Aaargh! We've been rehearsing with a keyboard player for over two months and get a note this morning saying he's quitting before our first gig together.:(

The reason is he can't play our style - he's very 'honky-tonk' and I ask him really nicely last night to play less (fewer notes) so vocals and solos were'nt so busy - thought this was a fair request. It took us ages to find him and probably an age to find another (luckily we have an excellent guitarist, so all is not lost but a keyboard player would suit our band perfectly).

My question is this: does everyone else find it as hard as us to find good band members? we're on Bandmix and other sites but there seems to be a dearth of good keyboard players (i thought everyone learnt as kids?)

P.S if anyone reading this can play and lives in East Hampshire give me a shout!

old git

Tremendous Bore
Reliable band members, the classic oxymoron.

Reinstate Bill Monroe's method of keeping control of his Bluegrass Boys. After WWll, you worked for him and if there were no gigs, you worked on his farm. Must have been hell as you probably ended up going to gigs in just one car. Mind you, the unions weren't strong in the South. Despite this, he made some good music.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
You will find a couple out of every 5 i would say.This is the world of many I AM A ROCK STAR,be prepared to hear loads of bull***t.If ya find a good honest player hold on to them with dear life.

dooce

Tell me about it. One band I am with has been looking for a keys player since January - 2 have turned up for a couple of rehearsals then disappeared without trace. They are in big demand - there are thousands of guitarists and drummers out there, just a handful of decent keys players (and few sax-players but not many people want us!) Have you tried Gumtree?

RedBottom

Friend of mine found himself in the opposite situation. He'd been asked, after a couple of 'auditions', to join a band as a drummer. However, they wanted him to to run a double bass-drum setup. He thought it worth it and went out and purchased a second bass and a double pedal and away they went.

They did quite well and got through to the final stages of a fairly important competition and were looking to forward to a TV slot as a result. Two weeks before the TV slot was due to record, he was told that he didn't fit the setup and they didn't want him anymore. He suspects his age may have been the real reason (he's in his 40s, they're all 20-somethings), but that they didn't have the guts to tell him so.

Surely it shouldn't matter how old a person is - if they can come up with the goods then that should be all that matters. Would they, I wonder, have said something similar to like of Eric Delaney or the late Buddy Rich?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Surely it shouldn't matter how old a person is - if they can come up with the goods then that should be all that matters. Would they, I wonder, have said something similar to like of Eric Delaney or the late Buddy Rich?
Image is more important than ability. And it's always been that way in popular music (and many other jobs). And 40 something is ancient to a bunch of 20-somethings.

Someone like Tom Jones has ridden it through. First he appealed to the women older than himself. Then as he aged, he managed to keep his audience on the middle aged women until he was too old for that, but his fans aged with him.... But it's always been image first in his case, even if he can sing well....

dooce

Surely it shouldn't matter how old a person is
Ha! I qualify for a bus pass and have just got in from rehearsing with my 5 bandmates - 3 of whom are female and with a few years to go yet before they hit 30.

And before you ask, my blood pressure is fine.......;}

Der Wikinger

I shared this with Jack, my mentor. Here is what he said. He used to go to bed at night with his teeth clinched because of the stress from band members. One wonderful example: He was playing a gig at the Honey Bear Lodge, Winnemucca NV. They had played 2 weeks, and the owner was really impressed with them, offering Jack a 1 year contract including Room, Board, and a good Salary, a really sweet deal.

His drummer was an alcoholic. The drummer fell in love with a prostitute, and went on a bender for two weeks. At the same time his pianist got a better offer in Florida, so he took off without saying a word. Needless to say, the band broke up, and Jack went home.

That is why he has retired from running bands.

dooce

A band I am currently in fell apart temporarily after the guitarist and lead singer finished a rehearsal with a full-on fist fight. Both these blokes were well into their 50's - not sure if it was a very sad or very comic sight. We booted them both out and have never looked back.

OP
Col

Col

Wow! Never realised before what a sheltered life I lead. Can't compete with fist-fights, prostitues, alcoholics etc, not in Hampshire, (well perhaps Pompey or Southampton). As least our keyboard player left on good terms and has suggested a bass player.

I'm interested in this age thing. Is age such an issue in a band nowadays? Having just watched Glastonbury it seems there is a wide acceptance in music of age - watched Slash last night, Stevie Wonder night before, Willie Nelson etc, etc. More so than other arts or sports - and isn't jazz and blues even more tolerant?

Der Wikinger

To me it is a wonder how many bands have stayed together as long as they have. In the early days Lawrence Welk and his band had to sleep and change in their cars because they could not afford hotels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Welk

Age is not an issue unless the younger members make it one.

Jack says that one of the bands he put together from college music students rebelled on him (he is a tyrant, I think because his background is the Air Force band, his attitude is military, we get along fine because I am former military) after eight months of steady work, decided they knew more that he did after having 20 years experience in playing gigs. (He had figured out what they were going to do and put another band together in the background). He told them to do whatever they felt they had to do. They went on their own, sans Jack. They did not know how to book, and they couldn't get along together (he had held them together with strict rules). Their band fell apart in less than two months.

P.S. lots of things are legal in Nevada that are illegal in the rest of the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom