support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recording How do you do the recordings/backing tracks?

Jay

I've never tried to do one of the Song of the Month threads or whatever.
But even if I thought I could manage one of them, I have absolutely no idea how to record myself onto the backing track.

Kit I have:
An iPad (Air 2)
A little microphone that plugs into it (Apogee MiC)
Any apps that can be got for the iPad, ie GarageBand, AnyTune Pro+, Symphony Pro etc.

Would any kind soul be prepared to give me step by step instructions about how to take one of Chris's backing tracks and record myself playing along, and then post it here (SoundCloud??).

As you can probably tell, I really am clueless - I would need the instructions at the level of 'plug this in, press this button). Help?? And very many thanks if you can.

Hmmm. I just brought up Garage band on the Ipad. It's a super simplified version of the one I use on the MacBook. I can't tell how you are supposed to add a backtrack to it or if there is a way to do it. It's way easy on the MacBook. You just grab and drag an Mp3 off the desk top.

If you think you may get into recording, and I see no reason why you wouldn't as it's great ;), then I highly, highly recommend Reaper.

It is a full recording package, know these days as a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), that will let you do almost anything you can imagine. It's free to download, and only £38 if you decide to buy a licence.

You can download free or commercial effects and instruments that you can then use to add to your songs, either using a midi keyboard or your mouse. Everything I do is done on the mouse, believe it or not ... apart from the sax, hopefully obviously ;), and bass.

You already have a mic so after a quick download you'll be ready to go. Import the song file you want to play to onto the timeline, add a second track, press record and away you go. It is that easy. :thumb:

This image shows how you can create midi files using just a mouse to create, in this case, a piano track:
reaper-1.jpg

And this image shows how you can check how good your timing is to a given beat:
reaper-2.jpg

It may look a little complex but it really isn't. It doesn't take long at all for it to become second nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have up to 8 tracks on iPad version of Garageband. To import one of Chris' backings follow these steps:
  1. Open a new track on garageband app. select the "Audio Recorder" (microphone icon) instrument & then click on the timeline icon next to your microphone icon found at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the loop icon. (This looks like a Roller coaster loop on the top of the screen to the right of the musical note.
  3. By default, "Apple Loops" tab will be highlighted in blue. You will need to select "Music" tab & choose your MP3
  4. Drag that file to the desired track location on your musical timeline
Then add a second track and using the audio recorder, play along to record your sax. You'll need earphones or the bt will be recorded along with your playing.

Hope this makes sense :)

Edit: I think I've read on the forum that @MandyH uses iPad for recording so she may be along with a different/better solution for you @Jay

Last edited:
You can have up to 8 tracks on iPad version of Garageband. To import one of Chris' backings follow these steps:
  1. Open a new track on garageband app. select the "Audio Recorder" (microphone icon) instrument & then click on the timeline icon next to your microphone icon found at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the loop icon. (This looks like a Roller coaster loop on the top of the screen to the right of the musical note.
  3. By default, "Apple Loops" tab will be highlighted in blue. You will need to select "Music" tab & choose your MP3
  4. Drag that file to the desired track location on your musical timeline
Then add a second track and using the audio recorder, play along to record your sax. You'll need earphones or the bt will be recorded along with your playing.

Hope this makes sense :)

Ah, I see! Most excellent post. I fiddled with it for awhile but never could figured this out. Now how would one get the saved file up to Soundcloud?

Edit. I see you can select the saved file. Hit the icon at the upper left of the screen that looks like a box with an up arrow. It comes up with a box that lets you upload to email, facebook, SOUNDcloud, or youtube.

Last edited:
Ok, here is a question. Normally I transfer music over to my Ipad by connecting it to my PC by way of usb cable and syncing it with ITunes. I can import mp3's, like a back track, into ITunes ahead of time from my PC. If Jay has to download backtracks direct to her Ipad from places like Box, how is that done? I used my Ipad went to the song of the month thread. I went to the link for the back track mp3. It brought it up and it played fine, but I never could get it to save to the Ipad for later use in garage band.

@jimmylh you'd need to use a separate app for saving directly to iPad (i.e. without syncing with iTunes), something like GoodReader or BoxyTunes.

I was going to make a demo using the Ipad and garage band but I give up. It's beyond aggravating. I plugged in my Apogee one mic, imported my back track, started to play and it quit playing after 8 bars. Seems you have to do more junk to extend the time. The stupid built in metronome wouldn't shutup half the time. Grrrr. I listened back to what I did and it sounded like I was playing in a tin can. Garage band on the Mac is light years ahead of the Ipad version. I hate to be a party pooper but I would get a PC or laptop if you want to do recording. I've had better sounding takes just using my Iphone and playing along with a stereo.

I was going to make a demo using the Ipad and garage band but I give up. It's beyond aggravating. I plugged in my Apogee one mic, imported my back track, started to play and it quit playing after 8 bars. Seems you have to do more junk to extend the time. The stupid built in metronome wouldn't shutup half the time. Grrrr. I listened back to what I did and it sounded like I was playing in a tin can. Garage band on the Mac is light years ahead of the Ipad version. I hate to be a party pooper but I would get a PC or laptop if you want to do recording. I've had better sounding takes just using my Iphone and playing along with a stereo.
Thanks for all your help. I can get hold of a laptop from work, but I'm not there for three weeks.

How did you import your backing track onto the iPad?

Thanks for all your help. I can get hold of a laptop from work, but I'm not there for three weeks.

How did you import your backing track onto the iPad?

I have ITunes loaded on my PC. I imported the back track into ITunes first. I then hooked my Ipad to my PC via usb cable and transferred the track from ITunes. In Sue's post above, she says you can download direct to the Ipad with varies apps. I hope you figure it all out and are able to join in the monthly tunes.

Last edited:
Will audacity run on the ipad? It's very simple and intuitive. I have an ipod because the PA I use has a dock. All the faffing about put me off i anything else, let alone the price.

I looked in the App store and did not see a version of Audacity. The Ipad and Iphone use IOS, a mobile device operating system instead of Mac's OS x. The various companies have to write a mobile version of their software and submit it to Apple for approval to publish in the App store for download. That's Apple's way of ensuring programs will work and not contain malware, etc.