SYOS

How do I play solo with a Drummer?

visionari1

Recently took up, learning Italian (for when I hope to be busking in Italy)
The teacher (an Italian) is also a drummer and is keen to practise together. Our initial Jam was promising, we both like the same type of Jazz, which is slow Standards.
We're both, inexperienced with bands or playing with others.
I think the best approach here is learn a couple of simple tunes, that I have in the Hal Leonard Jazz Ballads playalongs.

When Sonny Gets Blue" and "The Nearness of You" are the two we'll start of with.

Any advice from more seasoned muso's gratefully received

Cheers & Ciao

Jimu

filipe

I'm not a seasoned muso or anything of the sort but I think I can give some advice. From listening experience you can get a lot of insight right from the sources, like some of Coltrane's or Rollins' stuff with max roach and elvin jones and the likes, I think you'll get a lot of ideias on how to play duos with drummers. ALTHOUGH, they're not exactly slow standards -_- , the ideas are still there if you take the time to listen and analyse.

OP
visionari1

visionari1

I'm not a seasoned muso or anything of the sort but I think I can give some advice. From listening experience you can get a lot of insight right from the sources, like some of Coltrane's or Rollins' stuff with max roach and elvin jones and the likes, I think you'll get a lot of ideias on how to play duos with drummers. ALTHOUGH, they're not exactly slow standards -_- , the ideas are still there if you take the time to listen and analyse.

Good Advice Filipe.
I've got Transcribe and I & We can go over and over to listen and anylize.

Ps ain't the new forum a step up in communication.

So much to learn ...so little time.

Had a break through last night, really starting to hear the chord changes, I put the chord changes on loop and answered some email with that going in the background, after 10 min I returned to play the tune, with time and freedom to let rip freely, awh now I can see abit of light at the end of the improv tunnel.....can hardly wait to get back with the Drummer.:w00t:

Top Bottom