All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones How a Selmer is made

jonf

Fantastic. Thanks for posting that Mamos.

Hey, did you notice on the final clip that one of the mouthpieces was a clarinet one?

Jon

old git

Tremendous Bore
They'd have to play well or they have to go through all that hammering and heating again. ;}

Genuine question:-Why not hydroform as in many brass instruments?

With a background in fabrication engineering and a long history of metal forming including Aluminium and Brass I watched these vids with interest. I would just love to have a go at making a Sax. It looks like it would be very satisfying to produce a beautiful instrument which you could be proud of. I couldn't tell if the same guy was doing all the work but from experience I would think that it would be one man for each stage or component. I wonder if the Chinese production bears any resemblance?

------------------------------------------------------
Lives of great men all remind us, we may make our lives sublime
and departing leave behind us, footprints in the sands of time.

RobatBlueRock

With a background in fabrication engineering and a long history of metal forming including Aluminium and Brass I watched these vids with interest. I would just love to have a go at making a Sax. It looks like it would be very satisfying to produce a beautiful instrument which you could be proud of. I couldn't tell if the same guy was doing all the work but from experience I would think that it would be one man for each stage or component. I wonder if the Chinese production bears any resemblance?

------------------------------------------------------
Lives of great men all remind us, we may make our lives sublime
and departing leave behind us, footprints in the sands of time.

Go onto YOUTUBE and take a look at the YAMAHA factory tour if you want to see how they do the mass production process.
Not sure what the link is but I'm sure you'll find it.;}

Rob

Pee Dee

Was impressed with the hand engraving, one little slip with that graver......... ouch!
I can see why they are so expensive, I wonder how it compares with BW's factory;}

Top Bottom