support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

House music on saxophone?

Udikas

So I had this weird gig. I got asked to play saxophone to house music at a party, it was basically me jumping around playing pentatonic scales to a spotify playlist. I got to play for 15 minutes and the audience enjoyed it. Also, I was payed well for the time I spent playing and preparing!
Anyway, it seems like I have some more gigs like this lined up, and I am wondering if anyone here has any experience doing something like this?

Heres one of the songs I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Nd...t=-30,n=2..0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.KY8ixERxaYE

One of my friends used to play sax with hip hop and drum & bass DJ's about 10 years ago. He said the major problem was that they'd vary the speed of the records in order to match the tempo, which meant that he had to retune in order to match the change in pitch. This is less of a problem now with laptop DJ-ing becoming the norm - most DJ software matches tempo using time stretching which doesn't alter the pitch.
He also said that some of the hip hop artists he worked with had used samples from different records in different keys, so there were issues related to polytonality

So I had this weird gig. I got asked to play saxophone to house music at a party, it was basically me jumping around playing pentatonic scales to a spotify playlist. I got to play for 15 minutes and the audience enjoyed it. Also, I was payed well for the time I spent playing and preparing!
Anyway, it seems like I have some more gigs like this lined up, and I am wondering if anyone here has any experience doing something like this?

Heres one of the songs I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Nd...t=-30,n=2..0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.KY8ixERxaYE

Yeah. I think that the saxophone has a very long history in Dance Music ( Over 100 years ) It`s a fact that a lot of younger people can get to hear and love the sax when you collaborate in this type of project. This particular track is one that I think would suit your purpose well. Did you record your session?:welldone

I wouldn't mind doing something like that, especially if I could hook the sax up through a delay unit. The closest I've been to it was playing amplified acoustic guitar, with the delay pedal, with a kind of trance-y outfit which also featured live percussions. Great fun it was too. I also had the pleasure of playing alto with a kind of anarcho-psych-folk group a few years ago, when I'd only been playing for about 6 weeks, also took part in a 45-minute psychedelic jam complete with 'action installation artist'. Very messy and odd but again great fun.

I really like the idea of sometimes playing in a musical setting out of the comfort zone. All the best with it Udikas

Heres the Number you posted with some dude playing over it . I quite like it but I hate the degree of over-processing. I see how it`s been done to try and give the sax a more electronic feel and bed in.

I love it........Very good

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done a lot of this about 3 years ago in Ayia Napa in Cyprus and mainland Europe, i generally was standing on a mini podium raised above an audience playing/jamming over R&B and funky house grooves that the d.j was putting on.. i used to play 3sets of about half an hour through the night, it was really good for developing new rythmical ideas when improvising. It was also a way to simplify any noodling that we all pick up over the years as the average clubland crowd just wanted to hear something funky, Parker or Coltrane licks all night was way over peoples head so it was Sanborn time...it was a fun kinda gig to do..

Same here. It was my way of paying bills, since it usually involved serious money.
Downsides:
- Loud volumes
- DJs often have limited brain faculties, so they do what described in post two, with no notice, even when begged not to do so.
Another behavioral tendency of DJs is the fact that they like to put on tunes already with a saxophone in it.
- From the podium you can see the misery of people that spend money to stay in a crowded loud space.
Upsides:
- Changing room in common with dancers (selected venues only)
- If the DJ knows his stuff, music can be amazing and big fun.

Heres one of the songs I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Nd5aWM2Ks&oq=pjan&gs_l=youtube..0.5j0l9.3500.4003.0.6868.4.4.0.0.0.0.95.269.4.4.0.ytns,pt=-30,n=2..0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.KY8ixERxaYE

I do this kind of gig playing saxophone along side house music DJs pretty regularly and enjoy it a lot. The music is obviously really repetitive but the challenge is making it more interesting. Sometimes its a little more show than musicality but regardless it takes creativity and at the end of the day is a hell of a lot of fun! Here's a video I made with a studio recording I did of a Calvin Harris track.

www.JasonWhitmore.com

Last edited by a moderator:
i listened once to the published version.
Never again.
If they had to edit the whole Odyssey, it would go like:

"Ulisses goes away, then he comes back to his wife
Ulisses goes away, then he comes back to his wife
Ulisses goes away, then he comes back to his wife
to his wife
to his wife
he comes back"
[repeat many times]