SYOS

horn arrangements

Phil Edwards

Anyone know where I can get arrangements for Alto, Tenor, Trumpet, Keys?

We've got real books, but that's just the same melody transposed for each instrument, I'm trying to find arrangements for a section - pieces from a "big band pad" type of thing.

Phil

saxnik

Anyone know where I can get arrangements for Alto, Tenor, Trumpet, Keys?

We've got real books, but that's just the same melody transposed for each instrument, I'm trying to find arrangements for a section - pieces from a "big band pad" type of thing.

Phil
Surely half the fun is in working out some harmonies for yourselves from the real books? Try thirds (or sixths) below/above, but use sparingly. Also use lots of 7ths for that blue sound!

Of course, I could provide some bespoke arrangements (for a modest fee, naturally)!!

Try transcribing some stuff for ideas - Cannonball Adderley's band often used that combo, as do/did many other jazz outfits.
Actual Big Band stuff cut down to three horns often sounds a bit shoddy because many of the crunchy harmonies (and sheer power) aren't possible.

Good luck...;}

old git

Tremendous Bore
Why didn't I read the PrintMusic manual? Because I'm a know-it-all idiot. :mad:

Setting a Concert, Eb and Bb lead sheet for the CaSLM Palm Beach Orchestra, copied a repeated phrase and pasted it in the wrong part.

It automatically transposed it.

After an octave transposition, ended up with a unison version but as you can also raise or lower by any set major, minor, augmented or diminished intervals, chordal work is possible. If you then keep a unison and a chordal version, further experiment can be made without affecting your 'correct' copy.

If you fancy a crack at it Phil, pm me and a Passport will be issued, just be careful coming through YC's domain.

Young Col

You'd be given safe passage Phil! But I think it's section parts, call and response type arrangements, rather than straight harmonies you want. I can't help I'm afraid. We do a few standards in my sax ensemble but the parts are hardly riveting esp for public performance!

OP
Phil Edwards

Phil Edwards

You'd be given safe passage Phil! But I think it's section parts, call and response type arrangements, rather than straight harmonies you want.
Spot on Colin,

thanks Mamos and Colin (Thaumaturge) too, good links,

Phil

helenwray

horn charts and parts

Dear Phil
I've got a dvd which has 2,000 Big Band arrangements on it for all the horns you mentioned. I can send you a copy if you wish. I bought it a few years ago off the internet - I'm sure its illegal but hey-ho.
Ciao Helen X

old git

Tremendous Bore
Phil,
One of the other advantages of PrintMusic is that you can experiment with the writing / arrangement as it will play back, enabling decisions to be made on the spot without having to try out each section with the live band.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom