horn arrangements

Phil Edwards

Anyone know where I can get arrangements for Alto, Tenor, Trumpet, Keys?

We've got real books, but that's just the same melody transposed for each instrument, I'm trying to find arrangements for a section - pieces from a "big band pad" type of thing.

Phil

saxnik

Anyone know where I can get arrangements for Alto, Tenor, Trumpet, Keys?

We've got real books, but that's just the same melody transposed for each instrument, I'm trying to find arrangements for a section - pieces from a "big band pad" type of thing.

Phil
Surely half the fun is in working out some harmonies for yourselves from the real books? Try thirds (or sixths) below/above, but use sparingly. Also use lots of 7ths for that blue sound!

Of course, I could provide some bespoke arrangements (for a modest fee, naturally)!!

Try transcribing some stuff for ideas - Cannonball Adderley's band often used that combo, as do/did many other jazz outfits.
Actual Big Band stuff cut down to three horns often sounds a bit shoddy because many of the crunchy harmonies (and sheer power) aren't possible.

Good luck...;}

old git

Tremendous Bore
Why didn't I read the PrintMusic manual? Because I'm a know-it-all idiot. :mad:

Setting a Concert, Eb and Bb lead sheet for the CaSLM Palm Beach Orchestra, copied a repeated phrase and pasted it in the wrong part.

It automatically transposed it.

After an octave transposition, ended up with a unison version but as you can also raise or lower by any set major, minor, augmented or diminished intervals, chordal work is possible. If you then keep a unison and a chordal version, further experiment can be made without affecting your 'correct' copy.

If you fancy a crack at it Phil, pm me and a Passport will be issued, just be careful coming through YC's domain.

Young Col

You'd be given safe passage Phil! But I think it's section parts, call and response type arrangements, rather than straight harmonies you want. I can't help I'm afraid. We do a few standards in my sax ensemble but the parts are hardly riveting esp for public performance!

helenwray

horn charts and parts

Dear Phil
I've got a dvd which has 2,000 Big Band arrangements on it for all the horns you mentioned. I can send you a copy if you wish. I bought it a few years ago off the internet - I'm sure its illegal but hey-ho.
Ciao Helen X

Top Bottom