support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recording Home Music Studio & more

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Right, so after many years of considerations and no action, I decided it was time to get started on my crazy project to transform that ugly, low ceiling, basement located space into a proper music studio, home office, leisure room and dedicate a corner of that room to my saxophone repair work bench.

Why now? Simply because I have both the time and energy to do it, while before I lacked either one of them. It's not costing much money as I'm doing it all myself and using fairly low cost material, including using some stuff that I've accumulated over the years and leftover from other previous projects.

The tricky part of this exercise is that I'm doing it right under my wife nose without her knowledge or consent. In other words behind her back although she's there most of the time. Sneaking a few hundred kilos/pounds of wood, plaster, etc. under her nose has been entertaining! :confused:

I've tried to take advantage of her absence to make progress on the noisy elements of the project. Among others, I need to drill many holes in the walls, the ceiling, the floor! I also have to cut wood panels and battens for the floor and various supports to box the heating pipes and the electrical, network and sound cables. It's far from over yet and I've suffered a number of delays due to cancelled visits to stepmother or other.

I have to add that my wife has been grounded for several months for the wrong reasons. She currently works as a school teacher and was in sick leave after an injury early last year. She has now fully recovered and went back to her school end of august to prepare the new year, to learn on the first day that she had to go home and wait for her official re-instatement. She received a letter a few days later, dated august 22nd confirming after the facts that her sick leave was approved until October 6th and that she needed to send her request for re-instatement at least two months ahead, ie before the 6th of august! That's before the letter was sent... Since then she's sent registered letters after registered letters with various medical certificates attesting she was no longer sick, but the procedure failed to reach the same conclusion and extended her leave of absence twice, so now until April next year. The last notification even adding that from January she'll be earning only half her normal compensation! Nothing does it so far. So she decided to involve the Unions and suddenly things appear to be moving, slightly... It is absolutely Kafkaesque!

The good news for me is that she's leaving tomorrow for 4 days and I am ready to get things moving. I made some rather interesting progress over the last week, thanks to a couple of absence and now I'm hoping to finish flooring in the next few days. Icing on the cake, a friend has invited my wife to go to Rome for couple of days the following week. So I should be able to continue and perhaps be ready by Christmas time.

I'd like to make it a surprise! TADA!!!

Once the ground work is completed and the space is clean and comfortable, I'll probably ask many questions with regards to equipment. Not so much for sax, but two of my sons are pianists and I fancy buying a portable/electric piano/synthesizer as it would be unpractical if not completely impossible to take our current piano downstairs. Also, I'm quite sure my sons would love to play using other sounds... One is also playing electric guitar, so there's going to be a requirement for proper amplification for both instruments.

I'll post images once it starts to look interesting. Maybe the end of next week! :cool:

We need pics of wife.
Painted by Picasso?

seated-woman-in-a-garden.jpg

Major setback this morning. I went to collect the remaining floor panels I need to complete the job and none available! 58 were supposed to be on stock and I only need 12/13. So I drive to another outlet where they have 195 on stock and there again none! I'm doomed... 4 days but no material to progress. I now have to revise my plan completely...

:headscratch:

Major setback this morning. I went to collect the remaining floor panels I need to complete the job and none available! 58 were supposed to be on stock and I only need 12/13. So I drive to another outlet where they have 195 on stock and there again none! I'm doomed... 4 days but no material to progress. I now have to revise my plan completely...

:headscratch:
Do a Great Escape imitation, use the floorboards that are under the beds.

Don't forget ventilation.

Actually I am boxing the heating pipes to blow the hot air trapped in the box outside and redistribute it to improve the comfort as now heat is only concentrated near the ceiling... Fresh air also comes from outside via a big pipe and I have vents up for the possible fumes... The gas heater is in that room too! But it's rather quiet and once boxed it'll be even quieter!

I am back home for a quick bite before I hit the road again in search of my elusive panels. Talked to another shop further south that claim they have some.

So, I drove another 100 kms this afternoon and finally, I got what I needed. So I'm back on track after loosing an entire day. Tried to catch-up this evening but I can't do in a couple of hours what I would have done in 5 or 6. Can I?

I'm still trying to get where I wanted to be tomorrow evening. I think I can do it! I'm just getting more efficient. Not even cutting corners...

See you tomorrow. I still need to look after my kids... :oops:

Ah! One more thing.

Are you sure your design is safe?

No worries. I've been intoxicated with carbon monoxide some years ago and I have no intention to do it again! Even less do it to my kids. Ventilation is available as required. Trust me.

Busy day! Not over yet, but good progress and I'm almost where I wanted. If I don't collapse in the next couple of hours I should be back on track. The noisier part is over for the day. About 300 holes including 150 in concrete... So with the hammer drill. >:)

I was lucky today as the boiler was supposed to be serviced tomorrow, right when I should be applying the sealer... The company called and sent the man early. YES, it's possible, even in France! The only thing is that he spent 3 hours as he couldn't refit one of the pieces. Has to call his boss to rescue the situation. So I lost some time, but on the other hand I'm relieved of the burden tomorrow.

I already have to slot a sax course in that mad schedule! ;) With all that I'm not very good at keeping a regular practice. :rolleyes:

Why can't your wife know?

She wouldn't understand why I'm doing this when she plans on selling the house, unless I find another job! But I don't intend to sell the house and I'll get another job. In the mean time, I need to burn my excessive energy and since I have some time in my hands I apply it doing the things I won't be able to do when I'm back in business.

I'll have to collect the leaves in the garden this afternoon so she's not suspicious as she comes home tomorrow evening. But there than that, I'm busy with the kids too, you know! :rolleyes:

Looking after 3 teenagers is like a full time job. :confused: Honestly I've been neglecting them a bit lately, but they're having pizzas for lunch today so they'll love me! :cool:

She wouldn't understand why I'm doing this when she plans on selling the house, unless I find another job! But I don't intend to sell the house and I'll get another job. In the mean time, I need to burn my excessive energy and since I have some time in my hands I apply it doing the things I won't be able to do when I'm back in business.

I'll have to collect the leaves in the garden this afternoon so she's not suspicious as she comes home tomorrow evening. But there than that, I'm busy with the kids too, you know! :rolleyes:

Looking after 3 teenagers is like a full time job. :confused: Honestly I've been neglecting them a bit lately, but they're having pizzas for lunch today so they'll love me! :cool:
In my experience, teenage kids sometimes like being left alone unless they need feeding, a ride somewhere or they broke an expensive piece of kit which needs to be replaced with money from your pocket.
But I don’t understand the one sided-ness of the sentence “she plans on selling the house - unless (you) find another job”..... That’s not just her decision to make, is it? I really feel for you.
I can totally understand what you’ve been doing and why and am very impressed that you have managed to do it. It can’t possibly have been easy. All of your family will benefit from your hard work and thoughtfulness.
Being unemployed can really really get you down. I know this because I am looking for full time work so that I can earn more than I am getting with the part time one I currently have. It was necessary for me to only work part time whilst I raised my two children and supported my Ex partner and his business. But two years down the line and i haven’t yet succeeded in getting full time work. That has caused immense pressure and so I applaud you for being able to achieve your personal goals whilst in that situation.
I think that your wife will be stunned and I do hope that everything works out happily for all of you.
Best wishes,
Alice.

Being unemployed can really really get you down.

Actually, its other things that got me down and burn out, causing me to loose my job. It took me some time to fully recover, now clearly I am. I wish finding a job only required the energy level... That would be so easy! But having it helps. :)

A friend in Paris is having the same problem at the moment. He's just heard back from a potential employer after the 5th interview with them - they've just realised he doesn't have a key skill.

If anyone doesn't have a key skill, it's the numbnuts who has taken 5 interviews to realise.

Good luck. :)

A friend in Paris is having the same problem at the moment. He's just heard back from a potential employer after the 5th interview with them - they've just realised he doesn't have a key skill.

If anyone doesn't have a key skill, it's the numbnuts who has taken 5 interviews to realise.

Good luck. :)
Five interviews and they finally realised he can't speak French?

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom