All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Holy Bauhaus!

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Due to an odd combination of circumstances and a drummer who lives in a vicarage we held a band practice in a church over the weekend. For anyone who plays soprano &, like me, had previously never played one in an empty church … its incredible! I suppose this shouldn’t strictly speaking come as a surprise, the soprano sax is more or less the same range as a solo chorister, but there’s really something special about the reverberation of a space like that combined with the tone of a sop, its really magical (surprisingly the whole ‘vibe’ felt very different from anything I’ve been able to apply digitally to my horn). I felt forced to demand our drummer undid his snare and played across floor tom and ‘non’ snare to get a bit of an ethnic, tribal thing going, plus a nice bit of cascading piano and slide bass… drifted around the pews … fulfilled an ‘I’m Jan Garbarek (but I’m just having an off day :w00t: )’ fantasy very nicely……

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Many years ago I turned up early at a concert band gig in St Mary's in the Lace Market in Nottingham. It's a big church and I was on baritone. Just for a while I was John Surman (I wish!).

jonf

I used to go and practice in an old deconsecrated church near the sixth form during my lunchbreaks. For some reason the place was never locked (this was back in the early 1980s, waaaaay oop North), so I used to just turn up and play. It was amazing, although I think the principal effect of the first few notes was to scare the rats away.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
This may be the only good case of having your little horn in a big space !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh mrs,oh i say,er,oh i say OHHHHH

Colin the Bear

Pre electronic acoustics is a lost art. I know moving as little as 10 feet out on the street can double the take. And I need a different spot for alto and tenor. The natural reverb should affect how you play, it certainly affects the best tempo as the sound comes back to you.

jonf

Just been sat reading your post, Colin. My daughter was sat on my knee. She looked at your avatar and said "He's not a bear. He's a turtle".

No, I don't know, either.......

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Just been sat reading your post, Colin. My daughter was sat on my knee. She looked at your avatar and said "He's not a bear. He's a turtle".

No, I don't know, either.......
Would that be the Teenage Mutant Ninja variety>:)

Jx

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
You need to try a REALLY big church or a cathedral. Both Liverpool cathedrals have reverb times of 11 or more seconds (I think the Anglican is about 13). I know that Garbarek performed at the Met. cathedral, but I missed it unfortunately (back in the 90s I think).

navarro

Whatever happened to churches being places which radiated spiritual well being. Beware sax players you may be succumbing to a Paul T. `On the Road To Damascus.` experience. Regds. Is a psalm in the hand worth more than a sax in a church. N.

MellowD

Lost In Theory
does denomination effect amount of echo? Is catholicism less reverberant?
Yes it can be. They would have had architects specifically denomination working on a series of buildings way back .... when ...... Each faith having its own designs and desirabilities.

flamingoer

For some sanctified sax sounds try the wonderful Al McLean and Marie Fatima Rudolf on youtube
playing 'Ring Around the Rosy' in a church in their hometown Montreal. He rebuilds vintage horns and this tenor really sings.

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
If anyone is looking for haunting soprano solos then may I suggest 'Songs from the Centre of the Earth' by Barbara Thompson.

This album was recorded in 1990 at the Abbey du Thoronet in Var, Provence, France.

I was lucky enough to see Barbara in concert in Spalding several years ago and she kindly signed my copy of the CD. Truly stunning.

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
Nope we don't have a cathedral.... South Holland Centre, a utilitarian venue which lacks elegance but just occasionally puts on great musicians

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom