support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hola from a newby in Liverpool

wilo

Just dropping in to say HELLO, i am a newby (haven't even got a sax yet) i am Matt from Liverpool am 31 and have always loved Jazz mainly new Orleans (treme style) but like a bit of everything, and have always wanted to play a bit so have decided its now time :)

Well i will not bore you any more

Cheers

Hi Matt

Welcome to the cafe from a fellow scouser :D, what sax are you intending to play ? Have you narrowed it down to a certain make ? If you like Jazz checkout Parr st studios on a Tuesday night, great relaxed atmosphere.

Kev

wow thanks all for the warm wlecome i will like it here :)

Trimmy always good to know there are more scousers around here :) i think i am looking at Trevor James classic horn alto, the cheapest i can get a new one is around £360. But i have been offered a second hand one on the wirral to me for £270 with a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and BG Ligature so still unsure.
Will check parr street studios never knew there was a jazz night there :) Thanks

Big Welcome, Matt!

What sort of sax do you want to play? Alto or Tenor, or other (soprano, baritone). As a 31 yo either of the first two would be fine to start with, even though many folks just start on an Alto. There are several good saxes out there at reasonable cost so feel free to ask for any advice.

Hope you have a great time at the Cafe, andlooking forward to getting to know you.
Kind regards
Tom

There will be another fellow scouser along soon to greet you :) he's a top bloke, loaned me a few books and put me in touch with a good teacher, once you've got your alto and settled in we could arrange a night at parr st :)
Where in the pool are you ?

Kev

Welcome Wilo
Another member had the forum name Nosaxyet until he got one and changed his name, so it's available if you want to change!
Trevor James is an OK learner sax. It's what I started on and I still have it as a back up in case my Mauriat needs a serious visit to the mechanic.
Unfortunately not many great original New Orleans sax players (but plenty of clarinetists of course) - but Bechet makes up for the lack of numbers all on his own!
YC

Welcome to the Cafe mate ...

Hey Hey Wilo ...

If you go for the second hand Horn, be sure to have someone who can play it for you and just give it a reasonable once over before you pay over your hard earned cash ...

Maybe a friend or a teacher or something ...

If you spent a few hundred and then found it needed a fair bit of work to bring it up to scratch, you may regret buying it rather than spending the extra on a new one with a guarantee ...

But don't be put off from seeing it before you decide mate, there are some nice bargains out there ... ;}

There will be another fellow scouser along soon to greet you :) he's a top bloke, loaned me a few books and put me in touch with a good teacher, once you've got your alto and settled in we could arrange a night at parr st :)
Where in the pool are you ?

Kev
Hey look forward to the contact, I am in orrell park but work on the tech park in wavertree so am only mins away from parr street. Would love to meet up when I am all set up.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom