All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hmmmm....

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I was at the music school 'Schlusskonzert' last night. It's an end of school year concert, where the better pupils are showcased and generally turns into a good evening. Second up was a young girl, about 8 or 9, first year sax student - i.e. she's been learning since September.

She walked up, proudly carrying a noname chinese curved sop. And I groaned. Last thing I wanted was for her to spoil the concert with high pitched stumbles. I've sat through many forms of sadism practiced by music teachers on the parents of talentless kids, and this promised to be a particulalry painful form of music teacher's revenge. Clarinets, harps, pianos at least play reaonsbly in tune, but flutes and especially violins represent a very effective deterrent to any parent contemplating sending a second brat to the poor teacher.

I'm not a big sop fan, and sold mine. I hear sops being played, and with few exceptions (like Sydney Bechet) find them painful and worse - impossible to ignore. Squawk or shriek, they're painful to my ears.

I joined in with the opening applause as politely as I could and waited, consoling myself that it wouldn't last too long, and hoping the lass wouldn't blow it too badly and embarass herself. I reminded myself that other parents had had to sit through my kid's efforts when they were learning, and remembered the poor showings I'd made a couple of times. Put it in pespective I thought, it can't be any worse than what's been done before.

Well she seemed confident enough, none of the usual nervous dithering you see from kids of that age forced up on stage. and she patiently listened and joined in with the introducer's banter. Pretty impressive. Maybe there was hope yet.

Well I was really pleasantly surprised. Her tone was great. Warm and round. She was note perfect, and played at a good pace, not dragging or fumbling. she was easily playing better than many kids I've seen after 3 or 4 years of tuition... Rightly she got a wonderful, not polite, round of applause afterwards. I'm going to look forward to her perfomances in future!

Sometimes we judge too harshly too soon....

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
And I groaned. Last thing I wanted was for her to spoil the concert with high pitched stumbles. I've sat through many forms of sadism practiced by music teachers on the parents of talentless kids, and this promised to be a particulalry painful form of music teacher's revenge.
My soprano student walked on stage for his first concert (he was 9) with a bespoke tune (written by myself): half a simple melody and half free jazz improvisation. They loved it, but the piano teacher is still puzzled by his part. And I am not even German.

I wonder if you would have liked it.

Talking about Germany, tonight I will go to see the "Funny German" http://www.henningwehn.de/

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Sounds interesting, tell us how it goes.
He was great, but he was a different one (two german comedians?)
http://www.germancomedian.com/

Great, and he had an audience of 8 people, including the noisy arrogant city IT guy.
I will never complain about my audience.

I will not spoil his jokes, but I will report one I heard from the former Ronnie's lawyer (I am dropping names).

Angela Merkel goes to France, and she is quizzed by the immigration officer.

-"first name?"
-"Angela"
-"second name?"
-"Merkel"
-"Occupation?"
-"No. It is only for a few days"

Greg Strange

No doubt Kev will be going to his nearest music store to purchase another soprano...:)

He was great, but he was a different one (two german comedians?)
http://www.germancomedian.com/

Great, and he had an audience of 8 people, including the noisy arrogant city IT guy.
I will never complain about my audience.

I will not spoil his jokes, but I will report one I heard from the former Ronnie's lawyer (I am dropping names).

Angela Merkel goes to France, and she is quizzed by the immigration officer.

-"first name?"
-"Angela"
-"second name?"
-"Merkel"
-"Occupation?"
-"No. It is only for a few days"
German comedian...that would be a bit of an oxymoron wouldn't it?:)))

Regards,

Greg S.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Two of them around, and they play a lot about the oxymoron.
And about delicate subjects that would not be allowed on this forum: like the Pope (another German), that would break both the rule of politics and religion.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
No doubt Kev will be going to his nearest music store to purchase another soprano...:)

Regards,

Greg S.
No, family didn't like it either - at least that's my official excuse. Reality is I don't want to be blown off stage by a youg kid at the next music school concert.

And as for the oxymoron, att he risk of offending Juju and any other German members, most definitely.

Greg Strange

Two of them around, and they play a lot about the oxymoron.
And about delicate subjects that would not be allowed on this forum: like the Pope (another German), that would break both the rule of politics and religion.
The German version of "The Two Ronnies" perhaps? "The Two Hans", "The Two Gunthers" "The Two Adolfs"?

"Yah! It's goodnight from him and goodnight from me!

GOODNIGHT!" :)))

and good afternoon from Downunder

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamesmac

I was at the music school 'Schlusskonzert' last night. It's an end of school year concert, where the better pupils are showcased and generally turns into a good evening. Second up was a young girl, about 8 or 9, first year sax student - i.e. she's been learning since September.

She walked up, proudly carrying a noname chinese curved sop. And I groaned. Last thing I wanted was for her to spoil the concert with high pitched stumbles. I've sat through many forms of sadism practiced by music teachers on the parents of talentless kids, and this promised to be a particulalry painful form of music teacher's revenge. Clarinets, harps, pianos at least play reaonsbly in tune, but flutes and especially violins represent a very effective deterrent to any parent contemplating sending a second brat to the poor teacher.

I'm not a big sop fan, and sold mine. I hear sops being played, and with few exceptions (like Sydney Bechet) find them painful and worse - impossible to ignore. Squawk or shriek, they're painful to my ears.

I joined in with the opening applause as politely as I could and waited, consoling myself that it wouldn't last too long, and hoping the lass wouldn't blow it too badly and embarass herself. I reminded myself that other parents had had to sit through my kid's efforts when they were learning, and remembered the poor showings I'd made a couple of times. Put it in pespective I thought, it can't be any worse than what's been done before.

Well she seemed confident enough, none of the usual nervous dithering you see from kids of that age forced up on stage. and she patiently listened and joined in with the introducer's banter. Pretty impressive. Maybe there was hope yet.

Well I was really pleasantly surprised. Her tone was great. Warm and round. She was note perfect, and played at a good pace, not dragging or fumbling. she was easily playing better than many kids I've seen after 3 or 4 years of tuition... Rightly she got a wonderful, not polite, round of applause afterwards. I'm going to look forward to her perfomances in future!

Sometimes we judge too harshly too soon....
Listening to smooth radio, is about 90% Soprano 10% Alto & tenor

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom