support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner hitting high D on soprano sax

SopranoSimon

Account Closed
Locality
Darlington
I need advice on how to hit high D on soprano sax as im really struggling thanks

Hi Simon

Welcome to the cafe, why not go and introduce yourself in the doorbell section.

I am sure you will get lots of advice shortly.

If you're sure the horn isn't faulty (I struggled with one that was leaking) sometimes it is just lots of practice.

Jx

How do you practice something you can't do?

If the bottom end is comfortable and easy, going up a step to a harder reed may help. I bought my first sop about a year ago. The trouble I had was imagining the note and letting it happen in the mouth. It's so high I wanted to tighten and push and strain for it. If you reduce the oral cavity to match the note, keep the embouchure the same as for lower notes, don't blow too hard and let it speak. Once it's speaking you can develop it. Try sliding up to it in untongued semi tones.

By trying a range of different methods! These are things that you have never done before! Simple!

As the Prof said - practise. Lots of playing up as far as you can go and, as Colin said, slurring up semitones.

BTW I'm assuming you can't get higher than D too. If you can play E and F then I'm a bit stuck for an explanation.

How do you practice something you can't do?

If the bottom end is comfortable and easy, going up a step to a harder reed may help. I bought my first sop about a year ago. The trouble I had was imagining the note and letting it happen in the mouth. It's so high I wanted to tighten and push and strain for it. If you reduce the oral cavity to match the note, keep the embouchure the same as for lower notes, don't blow too hard and let it speak. Once it's speaking you can develop it. Try sliding up to it in untongued semi tones.
im using a la voz medium soft reed, still struggle to get that high D sound, just comes out low

Hi Simon

Welcome to the cafe, why not go and introduce yourself in the doorbell section.

I am sure you will get lots of advice shortly.

If you're sure the horn isn't faulty (I struggled with one that was leaking) sometimes it is just lots of practice.

Jx
its not leaking, i use la voz medium soft reeds, i can hit top c easy just top d is impossible, comes out low like speaker key isnt on

1. Play the mouthpiece alone and adjust the embouchure so that a C concert sounds.
2. Using that embouchure play the D scale and as you go higher speed up the air and raise the back of the tongue (EE).
3. Start on the highest note that comes out and go up chromatically the same as #2.
4. It may help to imagine blowing up a difficult to inflate balloon to get the needed breath support (air pressure) required.

Hi Simon welcome to the forum
How long have you been playing?
Do you play any other sax e.g. alto/tenor?
The Prof is right with practice it will come out and what jbtsax says above is good advice.

The soprano sax isn't the easiest of horns to play (if any of them are!). May aI ask why did you choose the sop ? And also - before Jeanette tells you! - go the to Doorbell and introduce yourself. Welcome!

Hi Simon welcome to the forum
How long have you been playing?
Do you play any other sax e.g. alto/tenor?
The Prof is right with practice it will come out and what jbtsax says above is good advice.
i only play the soprano, when i play high d its like the speaker key dosnt work cos nothing high comes out, just a lower sound

The soprano sax isn't the easiest of horns to play (if any of them are!). May aI ask why did you choose the sop ? And also - before Jeanette tells you! - go the to Doorbell and introduce yourself. Welcome!
i started soprano cos its the nicest sounding saxophone... ive seen julian smith play and kenny g and love it

OK. Be aware that the higher notes are harder to get. Play what you can, if you're up to high C already, you're doing well. Don't get hung up on high D, but keep working at it. Slightly harder reed will help, as will the other suggestions above. However don't go so hard on the reed that you lose the lower notes, strain or end up with really tired lips as a result.

OK. Be aware that the higher notes are harder to get. Play what you can, if you're up to high C already, you're doing well. Don't get hung up on high D, but keep working at it. Slightly harder reed will help, as will the other suggestions above. However don't go so hard on the reed that you lose the lower notes, strain or end up with really tired lips as a result.
i use la voz medium soft reeds

Start with low Bb fingering (all keys closed) for all notes. Change the airstream and also "how much mouthpiece you take". The first note is Bb 1, second Bb 2, third F 2, fourth Bb 3, fifth D 3 ...... Do the same with low B and C. If you a re beginner and never done this before you shouldn't do it too much. Just a few minutes every day. You can also try to play a songs in overtones. I use to play "Somwhere Over The Rainbow" too keep up my overtones.

Long tones excercises are also good. Practice with a metronome. c 60 bpm. Try to play with a big volume and also to get every note with a "full timbre". You can add a note bending into this excercise. Try to bend down a quarter step and then. back. You can do long tones in various volume. Start with full volume and the play with less volume in the middle before you take it back to full volume. For me full volume is a controlled full body tone without "overblowing" and at the right pitch. All these excecises can be done in differnt keys and patterns.