Tutorials

High Volume And Strained Throat

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
I've started to notice that after a loud gig, especially when I'm doing a solo or two with growling and lots of really low note riffs (last night, for example, had oodles of low C and B riffs that I really had to relax my throat to play at the sort of volume required, so that the notes didn't split), that the next day it feels like I've spent the entire previous night singing at full volume.

I'm wondering if anyone else has the same experience?

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Been there done that, yes and many, many times.
It's mostly a case of bad monitoring. If you can't hear yourself you tend to overdoo it.
In that situation there's no way you can play your best.
Gitteristos usually have amps behind them, drummers are Batteristi multo dangeroos bangeroos.
So what does a poor acoustic saxer do ?
Once played with a band and could never hear myself through the monitors, so I bought myself my very own PA system with mixer and stand mike plus clip on mike and two JBL EON's with a DI box for balanced output into the stage box for the main mix.
I quite often jump off the stage and wander round the audience, and jump on tables.
Bottom line is you shouldn't have to play at mega volume and the band you play with should be made aware that you're an acoustic instrument - in no uncertain terms. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

altissimo

yeah, this is normal for me - growling in particular gives me a sore throat, although I tend to hum more than growl these days and that seems to hurt less - or maybe I'm just getting used to it...
I always have plenty of throat lozenges with me when I'm gigging and that helps a bit with 'post gig throat syndrome'

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Thing is - it doesn't happen to me so often these days but - prior to the gig the band would do a sound check and everything would be perfectly balanced.
Then - first number everybody else would turn up to 11.
Must have something to do with Darwin's theory of Evolution :rolleyes:

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
I'm fully mic'd up but if the monitoring isn't up to scratch - and it so rarely is - I'm not just battling musicians' amps but the volume of the PA bouncing back onto the stage, too. There are times when I'm lucky to be part of the soundcheck at all.

Last night, for example, the engineer for the venue had another gig to go to so he just left the PA set-up with four mics. As it was an 8-piece band, this didn't go down well. And I had no monitors at all. It was fun, and not the worst gig I've done for volume (I posted about that one a year or so ago) but as I'm relaxing my throat more and more I'm finding playing really loudly is resulting in a strained throat.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I always gig with a small monitor that just has me in it. It's placed on a stand at my head height. I never have any trouble hearing myself and I've never had throat problems.

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
That kind of strain as a singer would be caused by tension / tightening of muscles. Is your head level? If the air flow is struggling because of head bent down/forwards, it won't help.

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Hmm, interesting question. I've been using a tablet on stage recently, which I try to pretend I'm not reading from and which I try to keep down and off to one side so it's not in anyone's sight line.

Merryfisher

I'm fully mic'd up but if the monitoring isn't up to scratch - and it so rarely is - I'm not just battling musicians' amps but the volume of the PA bouncing back onto the stage, too. There are times when I'm lucky to be part of the soundcheck at all.

Last night, for example, the engineer for the venue had another gig to go to so he just left the PA set-up with four mics. As it was an 8-piece band, this didn't go down well. And I had no monitors at all. It was fun, and not the worst gig I've done for volume (I posted about that one a year or so ago) but as I'm relaxing my throat more and more I'm finding playing really loudly is resulting in a strained throat.
in ear monitors the way to go, ones that give you the option of adjusting your own monitor level. I use a rolls pm55 personal monitor amp which is inexpensive and does great job for the money

Rolls Corporation - Real Sound - Products

Ivan

Undecided
Thing is - it doesn't happen to me so often these days but - prior to the gig the band would do a sound check and everything would be perfectly balanced.
Then - first number everybody else would turn up to 11.
That is my world

Taz

Busking Oracle
I’ve tried so many different ways to hear myself on stage. My latest setup is so user friendly, wireless mics (x2) and wireless monitors with a feed straight from the desk with a separate volume switch on the belt pack is pure bliss! Initially I was happy that the Shure SE215 ear buds allowed some ambient noise through, but now I’m not so sure. I’m planning on making my own moulded shells to completely isolate the sound. If I can’t make my own I may have to fork out for an audiologist to do them for me but I should be able to do the rest.
I’ll let you know how I get on Dave

Zugzwang

Subscriber
Dave, let us know if now that you've cleaned the unspeakable out of your crook, (Feel a Bit Sick thread). your sore throat has gone away, growling or no growling....

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom