support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner high g# and high a problems

Rory_Thomas Sax newbie

Locality
wales uk
Hi everyone sorry for asking a poor question. I have been playing te sax for about 3 months and playing at a grade 2 level. But having problems with high g# and high a they just sound awful and garguly. Any suggestions?

After the lush sounds of the rest of the sax those two notes came as an awful shock to me as well. When i mentioned them to my teacher he just laughed and told me that I had discovered the two worst notes on the instrument and that I would get used to them. That's what happened. You will get used to them too.

Jim.

Hi Rory

Try adding more pressure to your diaphragm and this will add more power to the air supply and make these notes sound a lot better.

best wishes

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
just to clarify. Are you speaking about the high g# on the top of the treble clef or the one an octave above that one?

My teacher told me i was playing at grade 2 level. A
nd im talking about high g# on top of the treble cleff. Im getting there slowly tho im playing for at least 2 hours a day.

Thanks very much beck. I just well and truly love the instrument. If i could play all day i would. My wife bought me my sax as i was borrowing one but now i have my own its my prized possession.

As well as the breath, a slightly harder reed may help.

These things take time and of course practice of good technique. You might want to get hold of a book called Top Tones for the Saxophone. It's pretty cheap and very helpful.