All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

high F not closing

lubatico

Hello.
The high F on my bari is not sealing properly, causing all sorts of problems, since it is so high. The gap is milimetric and I really don't want to lug that huge thing back to the shop (I'm in NY. Not having a car means dragging the bari through a series of crowded subway stations and climbing multiple stairs).

Is there any quick way to "bend" the arm just a little, so it closes properly? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Better check the octave mechanism. I don't know what you horn is but I've seenan octave needle get out of its cradle and cause issues. Just check they are both in place...

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Bending the key is very unlikely to be the right solution.

Check that the screws holding the palm keys are all screwed in properly.
I once had a similar problem where it turned out that the screw for the palm E key had come a bit loose and was blocking one of the other keys,

OP
L

lubatico

HI, and thanks for posting. The octave key is OK. I have a Vito.

If I tape the high F it plays fine. It is literally a microscopic leak, but a leak nonetheless. Any suggestions on how to fix it? Taking into consideration the length of the high F arm, it should not be so bad to bend it, but I'm afraid of messing it up.

thanks,

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Is this a new problem, or has it always been like this?

I’m wondering if a bit of cork has fallen off somewhere.

OP
L

lubatico

Hi. No, not an old problem. I just got my horn fixed and noticed, as I was leaving, that the high F was making a noise. The repair man fixed the clicking sound but I, stupidly, didn't think to check the horn. He probably bent the arm a little out of shape. The pad itself is fine. It is just leaking a bit at the bottom.

Now, he said he'd be happy to fix it and I'm sure it is a tiny, tiny thing to do to fix that seal. I'm just tryhing to avoid taking a day off work and spend 2 hours on a crowded subway car for a 30 sec repair (if I can help it :)

jbtsax

Subscriber
First check to see that there is a bit of "lost motion" or "free play" in the mechanism that contacts the underside of the F palm and lifts it when the front F key is pressed. This can sometimes be the cause of a high F not closing completely.

If that is not the cause there is no way to offer a DIY fix until we know what area of the pad is leaking. What I would recommend is to buy an LED Leak Light. When it arrives remove the side C key on your bari and "feed" the light through the tonehole up to the F palm key. Dim the lights in the room and see where the pad is not covering the tonehole completely.

When you have that information, post it in this thread and one of the techs here can possibly talk you through a way to fix it yourself. In the meantime to get your bari to play, Find or make a small wooden "wedge" that you can insert firmly under the foot of the F palm key. This should exert enough closing pressure to make the sax playable if the leak is not too pronounced.

Stephen Howard

Hi. No, not an old problem. I just got my horn fixed and noticed, as I was leaving, that the high F was making a noise. The repair man fixed the clicking sound but I, stupidly, didn't think to check the horn. He probably bent the arm a little out of shape. The pad itself is fine. It is just leaking a bit at the bottom.

Now, he said he'd be happy to fix it and I'm sure it is a tiny, tiny thing to do to fix that seal. I'm just tryhing to avoid taking a day off work and spend 2 hours on a crowded subway car for a 30 sec repair (if I can help it :)
Sounds to me like a 'holding off' issue.
Top F on a modern bari is typically a two-part key. You have the lever key (the bit you press down) and the cup key (which is raised by the lever key). Where the two keys link together there'll be a piece of cork that prevents metal-to-metal contact. If you shaved or sanded this cork down it'd allow the cup key to drop down a little lower - and may solve your problem.
To get the cup key to go lower you could even remove the cork...though this would make the action noisy - at least until such times as you could get it properly fixed.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
If you shaved or sanded this cork down it'd allow the cup key to drop down a little lower - and may solve your problem.
To get the cup key to go lower you could even remove the cork...though this would make the action noisy
Fits with the report of a noisy F being fixed

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Yes, I didn't mean the camera, although there will be one.
Apologies for the OT, as this is a serious post.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom