All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

High Altitude Tenorist

Dr G

Greetings, all!

I've dropped in to share greetings to my friends in the Old Country from high atop a mesa in New Mexico (USA).

I'm a tenor player of 40 years or so and enjoy playing in classical saxophone quartets as well as contemporary big band.I played Selmer saxophones for more than 20 years but have been playing and enjoying a Borgani Jubilee tenor for the last 7+ years.

The "Dr." bit is a reflection of my compulsive, analytical nature as well as having multiple degrees in physics and engineering. Is that redundant?

Cheers,

George

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Hi George, I read the thread title and thought it said 'High Altitude Terrorist' guess I should put the glasses on first.

Welcome to the Café . You might know one or two of the guys round here. Anyway have fun..

Chris..

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, George.

High atop a mesa. Does it make altissimo easier?

ENJOY!​™

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr G

Welcome to the caff©, George.

High atop a mesa. Does it make altissimo easier?

I wish - fact is that the first few years here were pretty painful. The high altitude and low humidity make reeds play quite differently that lower climes >> they dry out and warp quickly if you don't keep 'em going.

Cheers!

jbtsax

Subscriber
I wish - fact is that the first few years here were pretty painful. The high altitude and low humidity make reeds play quite differently that lower climes >> they dry out and warp quickly if you don't keep 'em going.Cheers!

Two words: Swamp Cooler. Welcome to the forum where folks like me are welcome (unlike that other place). Your expertise in the sciences will be a valuable addition to the Cafe.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
A warm welcome Doc, from a gale swept Perranporth in Kernow.

Science and engineering degrees are very useful here - helps to stop stuff blowing away...

Dr G

Welcome to the caffé.

Thanks. Perhaps we could take up the issue of cryo here if you are interested. If there is already a thread that you'd like to resurrect, let me know. I look forward to having conversations in a new group, free of the old baggage and predictable outcomes.

Dr G

A warm welcome Doc, from a gale swept Perranporth in Kernow.

Science and engineering degrees are very useful here - helps to stop stuff blowing away...

Thank you. These warm greetings make me long for the Isles. I last visited about 10 years ago. I made my first appearances in England more than a half century ago.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Thanks. Perhaps we could take up the issue of cryo here if you are interested. If there is already a thread that you'd like to resurrect, let me know. I look forward to having conversations in a new group, free of the old baggage and predictable outcomes.

You will soon notice that here we are more like a community pub. The downside is that there are not many members have direct experience on technical issue, the upside is that lateral thinking reigns.
So lateral that going off topic is allowed, recommended and encouraged.

About cryo, while in another forum there are many people with huge fridges that could easily accommodate a tubax, here we are often more interested on the subject of how many ice cubes should go in a Lagavulin 12 (answer=0).

This said, open questions often have exceptionally useful replies usually in a nice a polite style. The main job of mods, here, is to censor my politically incorrect jokes.
Like the one about the German and the English fighter pilots that have been shot and are slowly descending on the Channel with their parachutes....

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
The main job of mods, here, is to censor my politically incorrect jokes.
Like the one about the German and the English fighter pilots that have been shot and are slowly descending on the Channel with their parachutes....

My trigger finger is itching! >:)

Dr G

You will soon notice that here we are more like a community pub. The downside is that there are not many members have direct experience on technical issue, the upside is that lateral thinking reigns.
So lateral that going off topic is allowed, recommended and encouraged.

It's all good. Thank you.

I happen to enjoy beer in a pub atmosphere. What I don't like are those old pubs with low ceilings - makes for a rough exit after a few pints if I forget to duck. Keeps me humble...

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
The main job of mods, here, is to censor my politically incorrect jokes.

Please don't. Leads to a heated (pun intended), endless discussion that's likely to end up in work for me.

My trigger finger is itching! >:)

A parrot has the unpleasant habit of swearing continuosly, even in the presence of guests.
After an embarrassing dinner with the Vicar, the parrot gets punished being put in the freezer.

One hour later the parrot is freed, and terrified says to the owner:
"Please accept my deepest apologies if my inconvenient language might have caused offence on embarrassment to you or to your noble guests. I promise that my behaviour will have a radical change from now on.
But out of curiosity, what has the chicken done wrong?"

Dr G

Please don't. Leads to a heated (pun intended), endless discussion that's likely to end up in work for me.

Fair 'nough, Kev. I was just offering to provide a few facts to settle the foaming sea of conjecture.

Thanks in advance for all you do.

Cheers!

Top Bottom