support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hi to all from California

rockplayer

Just joined this forum, I've browsed it for awhile some very informative posts and positive people on this forum. I'm a relative newcomer to sax, back in the early 80's I departed from playing guitar for awhile, picked up a used sax and took some lessons, played for three years. Family, work and school pretty much eliminated my free time so I put it away for 20 years and started back up again 5 years ago, I think in some ways coming back later has made it much more fun for me. Looking back I wish I would have kept up on it but that's all water under the bridge. I'm pretty much a R&R, Blues, R&B focused player, I love listening to jazz but don't have the chops to go that route. My favorite players Red Prysock, Plas Johnson, Lee Allen, Sil Austin, King Curtis, Jr. Walker, Big Jay Mcneely and lately I've been enjoying listening to Pete's latest album which really touches on that genre of music nicely. I play in a few bands locally for fun, mostly local roadhouses (what's left of them) and pubs/bars, the fair circuit during the summer and local events. see ya! :w00t:

Sunray - mostly tenor, I do have an alto and just purchased a bari so I'll be expanding my range, one of the bands I'm playing with has some good opportunities to play a bari so it should be fun! I have a couple different tenors but find myself playing my P. Mauriat 66R more than the others. I put my Yamaha 82Z up for sale (on ebay) to cover the expenses for the bari and accessories. Some might say I'm taking a step back with the PM but I like the sound and playability. I also have an old Hohner President tenor that's kind of cool (silver plate) but the ergos are old school and it needs some work so I have it hanging on the wall and that's most likely where it will spend most of it's time!

Andrew, my guitar playing days are pretty much done, the arthritis in my left wrist and hand has reached the point where about all I can do is play slide - and I'm definitely no Sonny Landreth!!! But I'll hang on to the strat in case one of my grandkids wants to learn to play some day. Fortunately playing sax doesn't hurt (at least it doesn't hurt me.. can't comment on what it does to the people listening!).

Hi California Happy Easter " We got the grey, you got the sun, you lucky son of a gun." sing it to Fables of Faubus (Mingus) Best Regds. N[h=1][/h]

Hi Rockplayer

Welcome to the cafe great to have you along we don't seem to get many rock heads.Thanks for introducing me to some of your favourites I have just spent some time listening to them on the tube really great stuff,especially liked Big Jay McNeely.hope you enjoy the forum....... All the best......John

Hi Rockplayer

Welcome from Shropshire and the Border Marches. Different genre from me - I'm mostly renaissance and early music, but with interests scattered hither and thither.

Have fun.

Thanks everyone! but then I'm from the West Coast so most Americans try and disassociate themselves from us whenever possible!

@ Gladsaxisme, I used to see Big J play locally here in Southern Californa all the time during the late 70's and early 80's, he was quite a good singer as well. Good times.

Hi all, just came onboard this morning and glad to have some "sax" social company. I am in So. California and fortunate to have had the same gig for over 6 years in an Italian restaurant 6 nights a week! I feel truly blessed. Started playing when I was 25. leaving my business as a great confections candy maker (5 flavors of marshmellow, assorted creams, many others covered in light and dark choclate)..anyway I accidently hit the radio dial (yes we had "dials" back in the mid 70's) and changed my rock station (cream, who, stivie windwood Traffic, etc) to the adjoining "jazz" station. Stan Getz, Stanley Turrentine, etc. Well, I ran out and got a Tenor, took lessons for 6 months. sold my candy shop (in Miami) and moved back to NY to pursue music. Enough about me...Glad to be here.

Hi rockplayer,
I'm in Dana Point and I gig Tues thru Sundays at Stella's Serious Italian in the Monach Bay Plaza, just off Crown Valley Pkwy and PCH. I start at 6PM till around 9, or 10 on Sat and Sundays. Very cool if you dropped by. Happy Hour prices till 7PM and all night Sundays.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom