Hi...just registered to Cafe Sax.

Stephen Howard

This is interesting what would make a pads saver next to useless
Two things: Being too small to fit snugly in the bore of the horn - and being completely made of non-absorbent fibres.

I keep a couple of cheapo padsavers by the lathe - they're the perfect size for cleaning out the spindle bore prior to inserting taper shank tooling. But that's all they're good for.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Two things: Being too small to fit snugly in the bore of the horn - and being completely made of non-absorbent fibres.

I keep a couple of cheapo padsavers by the lathe - they're the perfect size for cleaning out the spindle bore prior to inserting taper shank tooling. But that's all they're good for.
I wish I had a lathe

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
In truth I suppose it's quite difficult to tell how absorbent they might be just by looking at them or even feeling them polyester materials can be very deseptive these days

Stephen Howard

In truth I suppose it's quite difficult to tell how absorbent they might be just by looking at them or even feeling them polyester materials can be very deseptive these days
You don't need to look at them - just read the manufacturer's specs. A good one will be a blend of fibres...some for scouring and cleaning, some for wicking moisture.
The price is a good indication too.

Stephen Howard

You'd be hard put to beat the HW Padsaver (the inventors of the thing).

There's no padsaver for a baritone - but a lot of players use a Hodge Swab for the top bow (pigtail). Looks like a giant sausage.

Top Bottom