support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

hi, im new to the sax

keith

Locality
Cambridgeshire
hi there.
just a quick hello. i have just purchased my first saxophone, it is a bauhaus mp2 pro tenor.
i would be grateful for any advice tips on anything that is likely to help me advance my learning of this amazing piece of engineering.
i bought the sax 2nd hand, she is in fantastic condition.
any advice re the best mouthpiece reed set up for a complete beginner would be hugely helpful.
my musical taste is pretty eclectic, though i do love ska and floyd.
would love to be able to play the solo from gunners dream at some point.
many thanks in advance for any help given in my attempts at playing this wonderful instrument.
cheers, keith.

Hi Keith

Welcome to the cafe:)

If you have no musical background I would suggest a few lessons to start you off on the right track.

Jx

Hi, big welcome from me. Sounds like you're starting with a fabulous sax, so chance of blaming the instrument.

Mouthpiece - I'll let Tom advise. Lots of choice without breaking the bank.

Whohoo. That's a beaut sax for your first one.
Aye let Tom have his say. If you need any advice on glassblowing though, I'm yer man.
Welcome Keith
Andy

Hi Keith!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from Skabertawe down by yer in South Wales, mind.
There are large numbers of mouthpieces out there, all shapes and sizes and all sorts of cost.
It is best to start with a mouthpiece with a narrower tip opening, and which is on the cheaper side. The mouthpieces
that fit this category from my point of view - having tried a number of them, are:

Bari Esprit - one size (0.085") and is a real bargain at £14 from Ackerman Music and other online shops.
Runyon 22 - various sizes - cost about £35+ from East Coast Wind and sax.co.uk, in size 6 or 7.
Clark Fobes Debut - one size - costs £36 from Howarth of London.
Windcraft Etude - one size - from Dawkes at £49 (they allow a trial period.

All are excellent and worth getting hold of.
Good reeds are probably 2 strength - Rico Jazz Select 2M, Marca Jazz 2, Vandoren ZZ 2 are some of my favourites - lots of reasonable ones out there, and best to make sure that you wet them before playing, to avoid squeaks etc.

Kind regards
Tom

Hello Keith, and a warm welcome to the cafe. I get great results with Rico Royal #2 reeds. Have fun with your new sax.

Jim.

Welcome to the caff©, Keith.

As a musician, shouldn't you change the spelling to "keef"?

ENJOY!​™

Welcome to the cafe Keith aka keef :)

Enjoy :thumb:

thanks all for the warm welcome.
and yes when i managed and ran the desk for a couple of rock bands, i was known as keef, mad keef in fact was my most used variant.
am not completely new to music, just the sax. i dabbled with guitar for a few years, but following an injury to my right hand at work i can no longer hold or use a pick accurately. completely smashed my right thumb, rendering it useless for most tasks.
however it has no detremental effects on me holding, trying to play the sax.
am off out now to visit a music shop in cambridge to check out some reeds and mouthpiece combinations.
thanks again for warm welcome, no doubt i will be a regular visitor to the forums.
catch you soon, keith, aka mad keef.

Hi Keith and welcome to your sax journey - hope it's a good one :)

Welcome Keith

I am new to the sax as well. I took Tom's advice and got the Windcraft Etrude although I only paid £29.95. Dawkes people are good people, friendly and full of good advice. Good luck

i made a visit to wood wind and reed, cambridge.
i found them very useful, am now using a number 2 vandorren reed, on 6c yamaha mouth piece, also have a 4c that came as standard on the sax. have got a couple of each reeds ranging from 1 and half to 2 and half.
hopefully find one that suits best amongst them.
will keep you posted on progress.
have my first lesson tomorrow afternoon.
cheers all, keef.

Be interested in hearing your feelings on the 4c as against the 6c...

Hi Keith - I have nothing of value to say being a real newbie myself, but welcome anyway. It's a great place to come to feel less on your own. It is a wonderful instrument - and I believe a lifetime's pleasure

"thanks all for the warm welcome.
and yes when i managed and ran the desk for a couple of rock bands, i was known as keef, mad keef in fact was my most used variant."

Well You`ll fit right in here then.
Allansto:))):))):)))

Welcome Keith, enjoy the forum - its a great resource for advice and tips.

hi folks, just an update.
been back to wood wind and reed in cambridge, tried out some metal mouthpieces today.
after trying a few i ended up with a yanagisawa metal 6, with some vandoren 2.5 reeds.
in answer to question re 4 and 6 c plastic mouthpieces, i found the 4 easier to blow but not hugely.
the metal 6 is slightly trickier to hit the high notes as often as i would like, but far more satisfying when i do.
cheers all, mad keef.

hi folks, just an update.
been back to wood wind and reed in cambridge, tried out some metal mouthpieces today.
after trying a few i ended up with a yanagisawa metal 6, with some vandoren 2.5 reeds.
in answer to question re 4 and 6 c plastic mouthpieces, i found the 4 easier to blow but not hugely.
the metal 6 is slightly trickier to hit the high notes as often as i would like, but far more satisfying when i do.
cheers all, mad keef.

As your embouchure develops more, try going up half a strength on the reeds, it'll make the high notes a lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom