All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Hi, I’m new to the forum and looking to connect

Joholl

Locality
Matlock
Hi, I am new to the forum. Finally started to try my dream of playing the saxophone in my late 50s last July. I am loving it though missing my lessons during this Pandemic. I have a Yamaha 280 alto and also thinking of getting a Tenor sax too. My real desire is to play sone of the Billy Joel riffs, love Mark Revera! interested 8n peoples views on mouthpieces, I have the standard 4c which is fine but wondering if I should try others. So passionate about this instrument and want to learn quickly
Jo

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Welcome, relax and enjoy the journey.

You could take online lessons

Jx

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Greetings @Joholl, like @Jeanette said, online lessons could be the answer. I feel I'm getting more from my online course than I did from an in-person teacher, because I can follow a program or I can run through other lessons on my own. When I'm ready, I send a video and get the suggestions from the teacher, whether it's exercises or tunes.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
Welcome to the Café.

I've switched to online lessons too.

Getting a new mouthpiece won't help you learn quicker, but it may be fun.

With regard to mouthpieces, what suits one player isn't right for another, so it's very difficult for any of us to advise you. The best way is to go into a shop and try some, but that's not possible right now. So I would think that you have 2 options:
1. (The sensible one) Wait until the shops are open again before you change mouthpiece.
2. (If you have GAS right now and can't wait) Choose a sensible, not too expensive mouthpiece with a sensible tip opening, for example a D"Addario Select Jazz, or a Meyer.

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
Locality
Oneonta, NY
Welcome to the Cafe. I, too, am enrolled in online lessons and find them very helpful. You've chosen a great forum. So much friendly expertise is available and lots of fun!

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
Welcome. I might suggest:

Just stay focused on the Alto for a bit...like, maybe a year. Don't throw a Tenor in there right yet. It could end up being more digressive than expansive. Just my 2 cents...

OP
J

Joholl

Locality
Matlock
Thanks everyone, wow what brilliant responses. Anyone got any suggestions for where to go for online courses?

OP
J

Joholl

Locality
Matlock
thanks Colin, I have I pad, I phone and MacBook so ok for devices, jus5 wondered if anyone could recommend any online courses
Jo

CliveMA

Locality
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I have the standard 4c which is fine but wondering if I should try others.
Some happily use the 4C for years. I changed quickly to Vandoren V16 T6 (on Yamaha Tenor) as I got a price I couldn't refuse. I'd only been playing a few weeks but I found the modest T6 tip opening as easy as the 4C. I'd feared I wouldn't get a note out of it for 6 months but that turned out to be unfounded fear.

Have fun! Do what you want and don't put too much stock in anyone else's opinion. Sax is ultimately a journey of one with a lot of individual variability. Enjoy your journey!

Fraser Jarvis

Check out Nigel McGill’s Saxschool. Not tried it personally but looks like it is probably very good.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
Hi Welcome.

I will be having my first online lesson with my teacher later today. I think she intends to use the video function in WhatsApp.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Thanks everyone, wow what brilliant responses. Anyone got any suggestions for where to go for online courses?
There are three kinds of online courses. The cost and what you need to do them are different.

I wrote a very long post, so long that I can't post it here! So if you're interested you can view and comment on it here. This is not a web page, but a Google Doc I made for café denizens, in answer to the original post.

Locality
rome
Hi Joholl. As a player and a teacher I strongly encourage beginner students to practice the first year (or more) playing a "medium" setup. At the beginning is counter productive using something too open or using reeds that are too soft or too hard. You can practice with a 4C, no problem, it is not a bad mouthpiece. Try to get a 5 opening on alto or a 7 on tenor both with number 3 reeds (you could begin with a 2,5 but then you should move to a 3).
Classic models are Ottolink for tenor and Meyer for alto, though today there are many options.
On my website there is a page called "Mouthpiece zone" where I collected various mouthpiece that I played/tested including many model: the . I hope to include more videos in the future.
You can listen to different mouthpieces here, you could find it useful as a general comparison.

OP
J

Joholl

Locality
Matlock
That’s brilliant thank you, will have a good look at your site, was thinking of a Selmer 80c but will research using your info first

brianr

That’s brilliant thank you, will have a good look at your site, was thinking of a Selmer 80c but will research using your info first

Welcome
In my view, a selmer C is a very close mouthpiece and is not the way to go.
A C* would be a better option, but I think a C**or a D would be even better.

However, I agree with Fabrizio above. Your current Yamaha mouthpiece is totally suitable for where you are at the moment.
The best thing you can do now is NOT to get on to the bandwagon of changing mouthpieces. Stick with your Yamaha and let your embouchure settle in and develop.
As someone who has been there, do not get pulled in to the misconception that changing mouthpieces is the answer.
especially for someone with less than one year under your belt.

Wanting to learn quickly is great. Chopping and changing mouthpieces will not be beneficial in that regard.

SeaVegMark

Locality
Scotland, Edinburgh.
Hi, its lovely to see some younger learners on this forum ;)

I think the time to change mouthpieces is when you know what you want to change, I myself used the same one for a decade it was a vandoren of some sort, easy to play, was given to me by my local music shop where I bought my reeds some 30+ years ago after I asked about second hand mouthpieces.

I think when the shops are reopening, and if there is somewhere that you regularly buy your reeds ask them nicely and they might let you try some out.

StockholmSax

Locality
Stockholm
Welcome
In my view, a selmer C is a very close mouthpiece and is not the way to go.
A C* would be a better option, but I think a C**or a D would be even better.

However, I agree with Fabrizio above. Your current Yamaha mouthpiece is totally suitable for where you are at the moment.
The best thing you can do now is NOT to get on to the bandwagon of changing mouthpieces. Stick with your Yamaha and let your embouchure settle in and develop.
As someone who has been there, do not get pulled in to the misconception that changing mouthpieces is the answer.
especially for someone with less than one year under your belt.

Wanting to learn quickly is great. Chopping and changing mouthpieces will not be beneficial in that regard.
And this is the best advice yet.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom