All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hi from the Midlands

DJade

Hi, everyone. A lurker turned member here. I'm usually lurking on SOTW but found this UK based forum and though fantastic.

Currently based in the Midlands, but have spent a decade or so in Japan where I picked up my Yani alto. I'm hoping to pick up a tenor there the next time I'm over. I'm just hoping it'll fit in the suitcase!

I've been blowing for around seven years or so on and off, mostly off. I started off with borrowing a friend's sop to play around with for about a year to see whether the novelty wore off. It didn't and a few years after that I finally made the jump and picked up my own sax.

I still consider myself a beginner as I've never had lessons (until very recently) and I've got a lot of work to do to get to the standard where I'd be fairly happy with with myself.

Nice to meet you all.

DJ

BUMNOTE

Welcome DJade,from a other midlander,lots of help and advice on here to help you along the way,i have a yani alto as well,excellent horn.Always wanted to go to japan,to go and train there with my other interest being Martial Arts,but not yet,maybe blow some of my impending redundancy money on a visit!!Do you speak japanese? Bumnote.

Sunray

Hey Hey DJ ...

Nice to meet you to mate ...

You won't regret getting yourself a nice Yani Tenor to compliment your alto mate ... :thumb:

Welcome to the Cafe ...

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Welcome from yet another Midlander...

Welcome to the mad-house.
Lots of useful information here, and lots of diversions and off-topic humour.

enjoy

DJade

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. And Happy Easter!

Welcome DJade,from a other midlander,lots of help and advice on here to help you along the way,i have a yani alto as well,excellent horn.Always wanted to go to japan,to go and train there with my other interest being Martial Arts,but not yet,maybe blow some of my impending redundancy money on a visit!!Do you speak japanese? Bumnote.
What martial art do you do, Bumnote? I had a friend who was an English teacher out there, did aikido for about two or three years specifically to get his black belt and be able to teach it abroad.

I can't really say I speak Japanese, even though I'd been out there so long. I can, however, quite adeptly point at pictures on a menu and say "this one." :D I know a few basics, and am pretty good at reading train station names in Tokyo and surrounding area! No mean feat given that there are literally hundreds of stations in Tokyo alone.

BUMNOTE

Hi DJade.i started doing judo at school,then Karate for six years,have also done ju-jitsu,wing chun kung fu,kali stick fighting,but for the last 30years my main thing has been Tae-Kwon-Do which is a Korean martial art,and dont my body know it,aches and pains!!:shocked:The training in Japan is quite brutal or it was a few years ago,friends of mine went out there for Judo training and came back with horror stories.Anyway enjoy your sax journey,thanks Bumnote.

DJade

Hi DJade.i started doing judo at school,then Karate for six years,have also done ju-jitsu,wing chun kung fu,kali stick fighting,but for the last 30years my main thing has been Tae-Kwon-Do which is a Korean martial art,and dont my body know it,aches and pains!!:shocked:The training in Japan is quite brutal or it was a few years ago,friends of mine went out there for Judo training and came back with horror stories.Anyway enjoy your sax journey,thanks Bumnote.
Way hey! Another TKDer here, although I haven't done it in years. Come to think of it, my old instructor was from Wolverhampton way.

I know what you mean about brutal in Japan. I've seen some TV programs where they've had Americans go in to the old-school training schools - running up and down mountains, carrying logs while jogging, punching trees, standing still while someone punches you repeatedly in the stomach...and when the warm ups are done, the real training begins.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi DJade

Welcome to the cafe hope you enjoy the ride lots of interesting stuff going on here ......sayonara?......John

trimmy

One day i will...
Welcome from a very wet Liverpool :thumb: and another martial artist (Karate) (Shotokan)

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi

Welcome from the Border Marches, which just-about-qualifies to be in the Midlands (but Liverpool and Manchester are both nearer than Birmingham).

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom