All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hi from sunny Berkshire

richard

Hi there,

Well a bit late in life perhaps (I'm 48), but about six months ago, I started learning the alto saxophone. The kids had left home for university and suddenly had loads of time on my hands.
Everyone else in the family plays to a good standard, and I felt I was letting the side down, so decided to take the plunge. Tried my sisters sax, and managed to get a note pretty quickly. Tried my son's cornet and couldn't make a recognisable sound, so the sax won the day.

But the best bit for me is that after two lessons I joined a beginners wind band. Playing music with other people is just so much fun, and it does wonders for your confidence, technique and sight reading etc.

Cheers

Richard

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me. Also a late starter. Many others here, as well as some younger ones who'd probably beat us all hands down...

Have fun, shout away.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi Richard,

Welcome aboard. Loads of late starters contributing to the forum, so you'll get plenty of support and advice (most of which may be helpful!).

Well done for playing in the wind band - it took me 2 years to pluck up the courage to play in front of anyone other than my tutor!

Hope you get your YAS275 sorted - they're lovely instruments when they work properly.

Cheers,

Amanda

TomMapfumo

A Big Welcome from me, too!

I started on Alto Sax at a similar age, also going on to play Trumpet and Trombone, and the usual sax/trumpet variants - great fun.

Great to have you aboard and hope that you really enjoy the banter and such like, and learn what you need to over coming months.
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

trimmy

One day i will...
Welcome to the cafe Richard :)

I too started at your age 48, it's never too late to start and my only regret is not picking the sax up 10-15 yrs ago :( but life is too short for regrets so i enjoy every moment i can play :)

Enjoy

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Welcome to the café Richard:thumb:, it's never to late to start:D, enjoy the sax and your time on here:D..

Chris

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome Richard from another late starter, hope you enjoy your sax and your time in the Cafe:)

Jx

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Richard.

Have pride, my friend. Re-title to:-Hi from sunny Royal Berlshire.

ENJOY!

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi Richard from another late starter - :w00t:

I can beat you - I started a few mnonths ago at 51...:shocked:

Just enjoy yourself - I'm thinking of doing the same there's a beginners' wind band I'm thinking of joining too ;}

allansto

Welcome aboard Richard
Gee You got lucky real quick
Good to see your playing with others at such an early stage.
Im not seeing much oportunity right now for that, where Im from.
Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

GsySaxMan

Hi Richard,

I kicked off when I was 54 and after just over a year I still get excited about opening my case, now a YTS62-Purple from '84 in m int condition which will be with me for a long time to come.

This is a great place for help and support when a bad day comes, and trust me unless you have buckets of natural talent it will!

Good luck and enjoy your collaboration with other players not an option to me where I am, a small lump of granite in the channel.

Cheers,

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Hi Richard,
I also started in my 40s, nearly 3 years ago.
The Cafe is a good place for advice (usually good!) fun and laughter.
There will always be someone around willing to offer guidance.
I hope you enjoy your journey.

johnboy

Hi Richard, welcome aboard,
Dive in and enjoy the fun. I started playing alto in the early '50s, so age wise I'm quickly catching up with 'old git'!
Mind you he really is 'OLD'.

John.

visionari1

Hi Richard,

Welcome, to the wonderful world of saxophones, it can be a lifelong pursuit at any age...Phil Woods & Sonny Rollins have been playing for over 60 years each and they are still learning.

Never, never in the field of human conflict, is it to old to start.

Enjoy the ride!

TomMapfumo

Hi Richard, welcome aboard,
Dive in and enjoy the fun. I started playing alto in the early '50s, so age wise I'm quickly catching up with 'old git'!
Mind you he really is 'OLD'.

John.
Age is relative, as my Great Great Grandad used to say...................................repeatedly.:old:

Sunray

Hey Hey Richard ... *Sunray waves from Norfolk*

I just don't understand it ... :confused2:

I just can't believe that so many of the Cafe members have welcomed you and yet they haven't made any attempt to find out more about you.

Tell us about the music you prefer, sax players who you really like to listen to, your sax set-up, how long you have been sight reading music and the many other questions we haven't directly asked.

Some of us here are quite nosey [in fact I would say everyone who have said Hi so far definitely are] So come on mate spill the beans ... :)))

Tell us all about yourself ... ;}

Don't be shy - we'll keep it to ourselves - honest >:)

Welcome to the "house of fun" Richard :thumb:

TomMapfumo

He plays a YAS275, and started on a JP 041 Alto...........................keep up, grandad!

johnboy

Age is relative, as my Great Great Grandad used to say...................................repeatedly.:old:
Sorry Tom, I really am very naughty, and do go on I know, but if I'm not gigging, or flat green bowling, I've nothing better to do than sit on the patio in the sun, and dream up more mischief :w00t:

John :):):):):):)>:)

P.S. Am I doing any better with the smilies?

buckg

Welcome, Richard. It's never too late. I'm back at the sax after 15 years or so. Enjoy the journey.

Even if Sunray overlooked your setup, he's still right that it would be good to know your musical taste, sax heroes, etc.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom