Hi from London

... pressed 'post' too soon! I also wanted to say:
My sax is an alto 'Meister' made in GDR. The mouthpiece is unmarked apart from the number 4. I don't know anything much about saxophones but it doesn't seem to have any have any leaks. My OH bought it from his guitar teacher for £100(!) with the intention of learning to play, but since he brought it home he hasn't had a look in. I'm looking forward to being able to play well enough to play with others. I saw Leo P play on last year's BBC Proms and I was blown away, though I don't aspire to playing a bari - way too heavy!

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
Welcome to the Café from a fellow double reed player (bassoon).
I'm sure your oboe experience will give you a head start with the saxophone, not least because you can read music.
Have you got a teacher?

Welcome to the Café from a fellow double reed player (bassoon).
I'm sure your oboe experience will give you a head start with the saxophone, not least because you can read music.
Have you got a teacher?
No nigeld, I don't have a teacher yet. I have downloaded some exercises from McGill Sax School online and have watched quite a few of his video tutorials. I'll probably wait until September to find a teacher.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me. Guessing the sax is a Weltklang Stencil, but I wasn't aware of that name. Some nice pics would help. Have a look to see if there's some lettering on the metal band that joins bell to bow. I hope you find sax fingering easier than oboe. And... The embouchure is a lot looser.

Have fun here.

. Hi @reetpetit, I so love the sound of the oboe that I hope that you'll contine and progress. Good luck with learning sax! You have a big head start.
Thanks Mike, I won't give up on the oboe. I play in a classical orchestra - not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy it. Playing music with other people is just the best thing.

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi welcome. A lot of us play in groups / bands / orchestras of various types. My main instrument is cello, which I play in a couple of orchestras. You'll be fine as basic written range of the sax is same as the oboe. Embouchure is significantly less challenging than for oboe. Reeds are a pain, but not in the same league as double reeds....

Thanks Mike, I won't give up on the oboe. I play in a classical orchestra - not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy it. Playing music with other people is just the best thing.
I agree!
playing music together is so much more enjoyable than playing on your own.
And of course, everybody has his own taste, play what you like to play.....

Big welcome from me. Guessing the sax is a Weltklang Stencil, but I wasn't aware of that name. Some nice pics would help. Have a look to see if there's some lettering on the metal band that joins bell to bow. I hope you find sax fingering easier than oboe. And... The embouchure is a lot looser.

Have fun here.
How do I attach pics please?

Have fun here.

Have fun here.
IMG_8045.PNG
IMG_8049.JPG
IMG_8041.JPG

Top Bottom