support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hi from Kent

saxman80

Locality
Canterbury,Kent.
Newbe from Kent

Hi,:w00t:
I'm a Tenor man, started blowing about 20 years ago but because of various commitments couldn't really put enough time in, but i've been back at it for 3 years and really enjoying it. Currently playing a SA 80 and working on a mellow tone,as well as pulling my hair out with improvising on some jazz standards, i have got hold of a copy of Pete's book and found the exercises very helpful.
I've been up to Ronnie Scotts a couple of times recently some of the bands there are amazing.
I'm pleased to find this site and look forward to learning from some of you and helping out if i can.
Regards.
saxman80

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Newbe from Kent

Welcome to the cafe, Ronnies' is one of those places that I would love to go, probably more for the atmosphere than the jazz as I'm not a big fan.

Welcome to the cafe saxman :)

Would love to go to Ronnies myself, i think i will make that my New Years resolution, aswell as getting a tenor, a sop and a connonball alto hmmmmm too many resolutions ;)

Big welcome from me. Have fun here!

Thanks for the welcome guys.:)
Yes the atmosphere at Ronnies is great,don't worry if your not a hardcore Jazz fan most of the bands they have you can check out on you tube before you book tickets.The last band i saw was King Pleasure & the Biscuit Boys,im not sure if they would fit into the Jazz genre.

Hi Saxman80. Welcome to the cafe from another man of Kent. (Medway). Quite a few Kentish types on the forum. I'm hoping to get up to Ronnie Scotts myself early in the new year. Cheers.
Simon.

Welcome to the caff©, saxman.

Man of Kent or Kentish man? Be careful with your reply as you might have Nick as a neighbour. >:)

ENJOY!

Thanks again for the big welcome guys.:thumb:
I would be a Man of Kent as i was born in Dover, i believe if you were born the other side of the River Medway you are a Kentish Man.

I'm a Thames Man (born in Fulham) who masquerades as a Man of Kent to blend in with the locals. (although I've been round these parts for 25 years!) The Man of Kent is a good music pub in Rochester, btw......

That must almost make you a proper cockney Simon, although my old nan used to say that you had to be born within earshot of the Bow Bells to be a proper cockney.

Hi Saxman and welcome to the cafe. Been to Ronnie`s many times old and new. (Gerrard and Frith Street} I saw the legendary Tubby Hayes there I think it was with the Jazz Couriers back in the late fifties early sixties. I also saw Zoot Sims one of the first American musicians to play in England after the MU problem. Great place Ronnie`s but I think it is losing it`s pure Jazz ID since Pete King sold it. Although there was always an occasional rock artist there. You will enjoy it here Regds Memories are made of this.N.

That must almost make you a proper cockney Simon, although my old nan used to say that you had to be born within earshot of the Bow Bells to be a proper cockney.

WEll I suppose if a strong wind blew in the right direction we might have been able to hear the Bow Bells. Or at least imagine that we could! When I moved to Kent as a teenager, I was regarded as a cockney by school friends. I do know a fair bit of rhyming slang though. And I love a bit of Pie and Mash! ;)

WEll I suppose if a strong wind blew in the right direction we might have been able to hear the Bow Bells. Or at least imagine that we could! When I moved to Kent as a teenager, I was regarded as a cockney by school friends. I do know a fair bit of rhyming slang though. And I love a bit of Pie and Mash! ;)

Pie and Mash is great as long as its got a good ladle full of licker:p

Think you could be right about there Navarro,
Ronnie Scotts All Stars came on first and performed 3 well known standards,what i would refer to as pure jazz. Then King Pleasure & Biscuit Boys played a set, a top draw band but not really jazz.

Pie and Mash is great as long as its got a good ladle full of licker:p

Make sure you get it from a shop with sawdust on the floor and marble top tables. Double pie, double mash, double liquor. Luvvly jubbly!

I think we have possibly been using the same pie & mash shop Simon, unless of course they are all like that!

Welcome aboard saxman!

Enjoy your coffee and chats. You'll be doing more helping me than learning from me (only been playing 11 weeks) but that's fine by me!! :w00t:

Back
Top Bottom