All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Hi from Kent, England!

Darcy_doo

hello all!
My name is Darcy, I'm 29, and live in Kent, UK.
I have just sold my flute and clarinet to buy a Yam YTS 23 and am beginning lessons in a couple of weeks.
my inspirations have always been jazz, soul, rocksteady, 2 tone and SKA (alright, alright! i hear ya groan!)
Lee thompson has been an inspiration for me since i first got into the band Madness 22 years ago, but my parents didn't want me to play sax (they wern't that keen on me becoming a 'nuty girl', they thought classical flute would be more fitting)... it was agony to persuade them to let me switch to clarinet!
I've one question i'd love to ask you pro's out there:
If you have played instruments such as the flute and clarinet before hand, how easy is it to switch to Sax? i found the fingering work almost indentical converting from flute to clarinet, but how does clarinet compare to sax in finger positions when playing notes, are they similar?

Much aapreciation,
Darcy:blowkiss:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi Darcy.

Fingers are similar, but the sax, like the flute, overblows on the octave. Have fun here!

Justin Chune

Hello Darcy. Welcome to the cafe. Anyone that can play the clarinet will easily adapt to the saxophone. One thing though, they are different instruments and you should avoid playing the tenor as if it were a tin clarinet.

The embouchure is different and in my case the exact opposite to the clarinet. I prefer playing the sax with my lips out and a much looser embouchure as well. Your teacher will keep you right,I'm sure.

One other thing. As soon as the funds are available you should replace the flute and the clarinet. There's nothing wrong with playing them all. You'll get more gigs.

Jim.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Hi Darcy,

Always a pain when you have to sell instruments to buy new ones. Hope you don't miss them too much.
Enjoy your YTS23 it's a nice instrument so I hear.
Welcome

Andy

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Wotcha, aloha from Brighton. As far as the transition goes- I played flute in a school orchestra and found the transition to tenor sax pretty intuitive.... clarinets, however, I find a bit of a nightmare...

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hi welcome

Plenty of people to provide more informed comment than me. My sax tutor is a serious clarinet player too. He says main issue is embouchure. That and tuning of a sax is an approximation! He calls them "wild"

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Darcy.

Kent is a big place, from the wonderful time when Sandwich had a pub in every street to the hated York Hill in my cycling days.

ENJOY!​™

TomMapfumo

Hi Darcy!@

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Fraser Jarvis Two Tone Reggae Orchestra, down by yer in South Wales, mind. My interest in Ska etc. led to me learning tenor trombone, and I play jazz/latin/rock more on my saxes. I hope that you have a good time here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdWTf3gQWM

Kind regards
Tom

johnny b.

SANTANA

Hi there Darcy,

I too enjoyed Madness. Here is the lineup for 2013 Byron Bay bluesfest. ( Madness ) included. I have a 5 day

pass. Cannot wait.

navarro

Hi Darcy and welcome to the cafe. I am not qualified enough to answer your question ref. transition from clarinet to sax (Starter pack person myself.) however nearly every tutor I have had started his/her musical life on a clarinet, and this may be purely coincidental also had a military band background. Best regards, marginally envious N. PS Are you a scribbler still time to enter the Christmas Story comp. See thread. N

Mister Levity

Hi Darcy, welcome to the cafe.
I'm also a big fan of Lee Thompson.Glad I'm not the only Kent based sax player into Madness.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Hi Darcy and welcome. The wife is from Kent and we go visit her relatives when possible. Beautiful part of the world. You've got some good answers already so don't need mine. Cheers.

Darcy_doo

I picked her up today from Canterbury! shes lovely! she is definetly worth every penny of the £335 i paid for her! and the tedious hour + long journey from and to margate! i was thrilled to see she even came with 2 selmer C** mouthpieces! I've set her all up now to suit just me, so Lee Thompson, you'd better watch your b*tt!

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom