All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Hi from Devon, UK

TheCureFan

Been lurking for a few months, so thought about time I joined. Have been gathering as much info as I can as I start my sax journey at the wrong side of my forties. After much trying of various saxes both alto and tenor I finally settled for a John Packer JP045 Alto in black nickel with silver keywork, Yamaha 4c mouthpiece with RICO no2 reeds. Looking forward to starting lessons once my neck settles following a car crash. So let the journey begin......

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me. Sounds like a good way to get going. Hope your neck is cured soon!

TheCureFan

Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully should only be a couple of weeks now. Have been a bit naughty by doing a few minutes of long tones a day and mouthpiece only exercises.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi,

Welcome aboard. Wishing you a speedy recovery so you can get back to blowing!

Cheers,

Amanda

navarro

Hi Cure and welcome with a big roll from Drakes Drum. Wrong side of seventy here and just started blowing. Best thing I ever did joining the forum. Nothing but good advice and friendly banter. Best regards Navarro. Must be a good city to produce an artist like Ron Goodwin.

llamedos

Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully should only be a couple of weeks now. Have been a bit naughty by doing a few minutes of long tones a day and mouthpiece only exercises.
It's all good physiotherapy I feel sure; many welcomes to this refuge for would-be degenerates and a very enjoyable journey through the members ramblings and diversions. I'm the wrong side of a free TV licence and enjoying every minute of it.

Dave

TheCureFan

Hi Amanda
Cant wait to get into it properly. Have been resisting playing too much as I don't want to cause more damage and end up prolonging my start.

Hi navarro
Hopefully I'll reach that level one day. For the moment I'll stick with trying to make noises that don't make cats and dogs cry in pain.

Taz

Busking Oracle
If the cat's and dog's ain't cryin' your doing it wrong!

Hope the injuries heal well and welcome to the best/only forum worth attaching yourself too!

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Hi welcome from me too, enjoy your sax journey, many late starters on here.

Hope you are soon fully fit:)

Jx

navarro

Old Ron was in my opinion one of the best composer/arrangers of the day. And this will make you laugh I mentioned his name the other day in the gym and a young turk asked me "Who does he play for? I retorted he plays for a big band in the sky now. The philistine replied "Yeah he got capped for England a few times I remember him now" I closed the conversation and stuck on another 10 kilos for my clean and press. Regds N.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Curefan.

Don't worry, there is probably a cure for it.

ENJOY!​™

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
It's all good physiotherapy I feel sure; many welcomes to this refuge for would-be degenerates and a very enjoyable journey through the members ramblings and diversions. I'm the wrong side of a free TV licence and enjoying every minute of it.

Dave

How old do you have to be to get a free tv licence......John

Big welcome to the geriatric sax forum there's quite a few of us around here

Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

Hi TCF!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe contingent - the Plymouth of South Wales, mind! Nearly took the family to Plymouth a couple of years ago - so looked into the Jazz festival and suchlike, but did not commit. Good saxes from John Packer. I have a couple of JP/Rath trombones and my daughter has a JP/Smith Watkins Cornet. So what music do you hope to be playing on your sax?

Kind regards
Tom

llamedos

How old do you have to be to get a free tv licence......John

Big welcome to the geriatric sax forum there's quite a few of us around here

John: OG is correct that blind drunks don't qualify for free TV but those of use who manage to exceed three score years and fifteen are accorded this magnanimous privelege. Believe me you need a sense of humour to be old these days, the trouble is remembering what you find amusing. I do recall, however, that a friend once said to me "Two things happen as you get older - your memory goes and I'm damned if I can remember what the other one is". Perhaps its getting a penchant for all things saxophone - he was a clarinettist so what would he have known about that? Which reminds me - I have two clarinets!

TheCureFan

Hi Tom

Have to say I was really impressed with JPs own brand saxes. Personally I couldnt hear much difference (probably will in a few years time) between the 045 I bought and some of the intermediates from Yamaha and the like. Also the 045 just felt ergonomically right in my hands.

At the moment I'm happy to play any style of music that will teach a good range of techniques. Ultimately though will be looking to play jazz/blues with a little classical. I will be a happy man if, after much tuition, I can get to play reasonably well the sax part of Hazel O'Conners Will You and the Love Theme from Bladerunner...........

..............And maybe some cheesy 80s sax stuff.

navarro

Hi gladsaxisme, 75 to qualify for the free licence, plus fully paid up membership of the "Highway to the Sky Club." :confused: Regds N.

Top Bottom